The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal - NYI/VAN VAN/CHI

This year's draft is one of the most exciting for me. It is one step closer to finally becoming relevant again in the NHL. If we can get another top 8 pick and hit some home runs with some picks in the 2nd and 3rd, I strongly believe we can contend for the playoffs in two years.

My wish list in order is:

Boqvist

Wahlstrom/Hughes

Hughes/Wahlstrom

Kotkaniemi

Bouchard

Dobson

Having said that, I've been trying to figure out a possible way to obtaining an additional 1st rounder in the Top 6. Not sure if this is at all possible but I think it would be worthwhile to discuss

TO NYI

Tanev

2nd round pick (2019) 

TO VAN

11th OA

TO CHI

11th OA

Prospect/Draft Pick or take back Seabrook (25-50% retained)

We could try to move Eriksson in a few years when the younger guys need raises. I believe his NTC/NMC comes off early. Seabrook would be a great mentor for the younger guys. Could also keep the 11th OA and do a separate deal with CHI. Hutton and Goldobin for Seabrook (no retention) and 8th OA. Then we would have 7th, 8th, and 11th. Possibilities are endless.  Again not entirely sure any of these get done but sometimes its nice to speculate.

TO VAN

8th OA

I believe the draft will likely look like this:

1. Dahlin (BUF)

2. Svechnikov (CAR)

3. Zadina (MON)

4. Boqvist (OTT)

5. Tkachuk (ARI)

6. Bouchard (DET)

7. Hughes (VAN)

8. Wahlstrom (VAN)

9. Kotkaniemi/Dobson (NYR)

10. Convinced EDM will be trading this pick

1 hour ago, sean_p47 said:

This year's draft is one of the most exciting for me personally. It is one step closer to finally becoming relevant again.

Wow, sorry to hear about you being irrelevant.   I am not sure how this draft will assist but good to hear it will be the fix you are looking for.

Your draft list is similar to the experts, but I'm sure there will be one or two teams that pick a little offboard in the top ten, if this happens before us like two years ago when PLD went third squirting MT out of the top three and onto our lap, the same could happen again giving us shot at one of the bigger names.   Hope Benning gets the guy(s) he's gunning for, it's also possible he like something out of the top ten and trades down

Can't wait this draft is getting pumped up and soon it's about to be filled with hot air the more we talk about it.  Nothing else to do though ha ha. Dahlin and a group of defenseman make it appear excting, but it doesn't compare to McDavids draft, or Juolevis.

Better than last year?  Seems like it, but we won't really know for a few years.

behind signing tavares on my wishlist, acquiring another top 10ish pick is a close 2nd

so i love the idea

i could see chi making moves to get better NOW cause their window is closing and losing/tanking is not an option so they could be open to slide down while picking up some help 

i would shop any combination of tanev, goldobin, baertschi, hutton and 2nd rounders to chi, nyr, edm or nyi to get something done

to your proposal, the sun would be shining bright in vancouver if the canucks walk away with wahlstrom and hughes

i hope the canucks draft wahlstrom because at no.7 he sounds like the best player available with a high ceiling. 

4 hours ago, billabong said:

behind signing tavares on my wishlist, acquiring another top 10ish pick is a close 2nd

so i love the idea

i could see chi making moves to get better NOW cause their window is closing and losing/tanking is not an option so they could be open to slide down while picking up some help 

i would shop any combination of tanev, goldobin, baertschi, hutton and 2nd rounders to chi, nyr, edm or nyi to get something done

to your proposal, the sun would be shining bright in vancouver if the canucks walk away with wahlstrom and hughes

i hope the canucks draft wahlstrom because at no.7 he sounds like the best player available with a high ceiling. 

Bowman says he's not trying to hold on to the past.  He talked a lot about their young players taking steps for them to become contenders for years to come.  They are not going to be trading their pick.   They actually have some cash to be active in free agency this season.  

I love the idea of getting another pick in the first round.  My thought process was that if Wahlstrom is available we take him.  If that is the case I'd still like to try and trade Tanev to Toronto and take a gamble on Ryan Merkley.  I'm not sure if he will still be around at 25.  I've seen him ranked anywhere from 11th-41st. Scott Wheeler says he is "... one of the most purely gifted playmaking defencemen not named Rasmus Dahlin."  I think he would be worth the gamble. He is only 17 and will mature a lot in the next few years.  We don't need him for another 3 years a least, so he has time to grow up.

This way we don't need to take on any bad contracts and could realistically trade Tanev for TOR 25th OA pick.  

Or fingers crossed he slips to the second round and we can grab him there.

17 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I'd rather keep are 2nd next year as the draft is HERE!!!!

but good call trying to get another 1st,just think right now if Tavaras does not sign asap they will trade him and keep their picks

I don't think where a draft takes place should have any bearing on the decisions to improve this team. This year's draft is one of the deepest in recent history. I think we should try and take advantage and load up on draft picks especially if giving up a 2nd helps us in securing another 1st round pick.

I really hope Tavares resigns with the Isles. If we cant have him, I don't want any other team to have him other than the one he is already on lol

17 hours ago, IBatch said:

Your draft list is similar to the experts, but I'm sure there will be one or two teams that pick a little offboard in the top ten, if this happens before us like two years ago when PLD went third squirting MT out of the top three and onto our lap, the same could happen again giving us shot at one of the bigger names.   Hope Benning gets the guy(s) he's gunning for, it's also possible he like something out of the top ten and trades down

Can't wait this draft is getting pumped up and soon it's about to be filled with hot air the more we talk about it.  Nothing else to do though ha ha. Dahlin and a group of defenseman make it appear excting, but it doesn't compare to McDavids draft, or Juolevis.

Better than last year?  Seems like it, but we won't really know for a few years.

The problem is were picking 7th. I don't see anyone other than Zadina slipping and if he does, Ottawa is definitely taking him at 4. The rest could go anywhere from 4-9/10. So a bigger name falling into our laps seems like a stretch.

I think that Wahlstrom will likely be BPA at 7. I've heard some say he could be a similar player to Boeser. 2 Boesers are always better than 1

17 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow, sorry to hear about you being irrelevant.   I am not sure how this draft will assist but good to hear it will be the fix you are looking for.

Thank you. So now...what about the proposal? Does it work? need some tweaking?

3 hours ago, stuman491 said:

I love the idea of getting another pick in the first round.  My thought process was that if Wahlstrom is available we take him.  If that is the case I'd still like to try and trade Tanev to Toronto and take a gamble on Ryan Merkley.  I'm not sure if he will still be around at 25.  I've seen him ranked anywhere from 11th-41st. Scott Wheeler says he is "... one of the most purely gifted playmaking defencemen not named Rasmus Dahlin."  I think he would be worth the gamble. He is only 17 and will mature a lot in the next few years.  We don't need him for another 3 years a least, so he has time to grow up.

This way we don't need to take on any bad contracts and could realistically trade Tanev for TOR 25th OA pick.  

Or fingers crossed he slips to the second round and we can grab him there.

I like your Tanev idea and I am also high on Ryan Merkley, I hear he has a high ceiling and could be a steal. I believe with our 7th overall pick we NEED to draft an Elite D man, whether it is Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes, we need to come out of this draft with ine of those guys and 2 solid defensive prospects! 

As much as I would like to have Wahlstrom it would be a mistake not to take a D with our 7th.

8 minutes ago, mll said:

Tanev is only signed for 2 more seasons and no team can extend him before 1 July in a year.  That probably lessens his trade value.

What?  Explain please:)

I could see a trade where Tanev and Sutter go to the Oilers for Draistl

I could see a trade where Tanev goes to the Flames for Hamilton

The team I can't see a Tanev trade to is the Leafs.  They just don't have anything we really want, except Matthews and Marner.  Those guys are clearly not available.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The team I can't see a Tanev trade to is the Leafs.  They just don't have anything we really want, except Matthews and Marner.  Those guys are clearly not available.

The acquiring team has no guarantee that they can extend Tanev.  They are giving up assets under team control for several years (draft picks/prospects) for a player they might have for only 2 seasons.  They'll factor that risk into the price they are willing to pay.

12 minutes ago, mll said:

The acquiring team has no guarantee that they can extend Tanev.  They are giving up assets under team control for several years (draft picks/prospects) for a player they might have for only 2 seasons.  They'll factor that risk into the price they are willing to pay.

I'd say Tanev is on a great deal.  He's paid a really low dollar for such an amazing defensive player.  Any team would be happy to pay up BIG for him.  Like I said the only team that wouldn't work is TO, because they have nothing we want.  We want young guys they do have (other than Mathews and Marner) aren't any good.  Plus, their draft picks are too far down in the rounds.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I have a feeling the cat you ate this morning must of had a ton of catnip in it. That is the only way I can explain your thought process on this

5 hours ago, sean_p47 said:

The problem is were picking 7th. I don't see anyone other than Zadina slipping and if he does, Ottawa is definitely taking him at 4. The rest could go anywhere from 4-9/10. So a bigger name falling into our laps seems like a stretch.

I think that Wahlstrom will likely be BPA at 7. I've heard some say he could be a similar player to Boeser. 2 Boesers are always better than 1

Perhaps, but OTT is so deep at center it's possible one or two of those guys might have to play on the wing.   I think OTT might take a defenseman...

I agree that BT or Zadina won't drop down to us, but if one or two players are taken early off board before us, it automatically bumps the whole line down until you catch up to where those particular players are predicted to go.  There still is the combine and interviews to go, which sometimes moves things around a little, last year Valardi a top five predicted pick, many had him as high as 3,. slipped out of the top ten and onto LAs lap, where he immediately became their best prospect.  Obviously the teams that had a chance at him passed for a reason.  BT and Zadina might slip only because the teams ahead of us decide to select one of the remaining top defenseman.  

Archived