The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] VAN/NJD

Saw on a site that NJD may have to trade Severson, especially because they benched him several times this season and once in the playoffs. It states that Severson likely isn't happy with the benchings, and Shero may be forced to move him. 
I for one love Severson, and think he a great point-producer. Could we have a dog-house swap with New Jersey and bring Severson back to BC?

To: NJD
Ben Hutton

5th round pick

To VAN
Damon Severson

Well, Hutton is doing no good for us and we're banking on him having a better season if he even wants to remain in the lineup.  So if we can utilize him as an asset to get another that we can use, I'm all for it.

I don't know a whole lot about Severson - though I do remember watching him a couple of times and being reasonably impressed. But if you look at his stats, he's not exactly either a true offensive-style player, nor is he the greatest defender.  Yet he is signed to 4 and a half million for a few years.  Is that overpayment?

For now that extra cap is not a problem, but in a couple of years it might start to become one.

I honestly don't know how I feel about this proposal - but most of that is because I don't know enough about Severson.  To me, he's a little of this and a little of that but not standout in any particular area. We have plenty of average defensemen, and I'm not sure adding another will do us much good.  

9 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Saw on a site that NJD may have to trade Severson, especially because they benched him several times this season and once in the playoffs. It states that Severson likely isn't happy with the benchings, and Shero may be forced to move him. 
I for one love Severson, and think he a great point-producer. Could we have a dog-house swap with New Jersey and bring Severson back to BC?

Ben Hutton

5th round pick

To VAN
Damon Severson

I like this deal.

Two players that could use a reboot.

Have to agree with PlanB. I think we'd have to add a higher draft pick than a fifth.

Hutton and our 2nd?

I wouldn't want to trade any picks, for a player, with possible attitude issues, who has been riding the pine.

I guess Hutton is in a similar boat though. Underperforming, and possibly lazy, benched a lot.

Maybe Hutton and Motte or Boucher?  

11 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Ben Hutton

5th round pick

To VAN
Damon Severson

He was a healthy scratch 3 times and played 76 games last season I’d hardly call that several times. He’s a young player and NJ had a lot of options.  They aren’t going to sell low on him just because his feelings might be hurt by an occasion healthy scratch. 

He’s 2 years younger than Hutton and put up 24 points this season (compared to Hutton’s 6 assists). He’s also signed for another 5 seasons (at $4.16m a season). Hutton is RFA following next season. 

I don’t see any reason that would make this an attractive trade to NJ 

41 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

He was a healthy scratch 3 times

Some posters would say being scratched 3 times makes him a bust, like Juolevi.  Cap hit seems high, but the cap does seem to go up most years.

31 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I don’t see any reason that would make this an attractive trade to NJ 

He also got the first overall spot in their blog's top 25 players under 25 last summer (Ranked as more valuable than Hischier). Here is a quote from it:

Claiming the top spot is standout defender Damon Severson. The 23 year old, 6'2, 205 lbs. defenseman has been developing nicely since the Devils selected him in the 2nd round of the 2012 draft. He's established himself as a key player for the Devils present and future....He has now spent 3 seasons with the Devils and despite some growing pains as he adjust to the NHL, he's started to arguably become the Devils most important defender. 

He had a down year since then, but still miles above Hutton. Being benched for 3 games is nothing close to enough to drop his value sufficiently to make him available for our problem depth players. 

Severson is basically what we what Hutton to become. If NJD supposedly can't find room for Severson, they will have zero need for Hutton. Maybe Baertschi (sign and trade) for Severson would be attractive to them? They could use a bit of a bump in their offense aside from Hall. I wonder if Gagner would have any value to them as a veteran presence and maybe has a bit of chemistry with Hall from back in the Edmonton days.

46 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Severson is basically what we what Hutton to become. If NJD supposedly can't find room for Severson, they will have zero need for Hutton. Maybe Baertschi (sign and trade) for Severson would be attractive to them? They could use a bit of a bump in their offense aside from Hall. I wonder if Gagner would have any value to them as a veteran presence and maybe has a bit of chemistry with Hall from back in the Edmonton days.

A sign and trade has never happened in the cap era.  The only reason it comes up is when high end free agents like Stamkos and this year Tavares become UFA. Only the Islanders can offer Tavares 8 years.  It allows them to get a return instead of losing him for nothing and the new team he has selected gets him for 8 years instead of just 7.  

4 minutes ago, mll said:

A sign and trade has never happened in the cap era.  The only reason it comes up is when high end free agents like Stamkos and this year Tavares become UFA.  Only the Islanders can offer Tavares 8 years.  It allows them to get a return instead losing him for nothing and the new team he has selected gets him for 8 years instead of just 7.  

Well Baertschi is an RFA, so I just meant in terms of getting a deal done so they wouldn't have to through the arbitration if needed. The sign and trade is not necessary unless they would like it done and it wouldn't take away from Baertschi's value other than not knowing how much he will be making before a deal may be done.

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well Baertschi is an RFA, so I just meant in terms of getting a deal done so they wouldn't have to through the arbitration if needed. The sign and trade is not necessary unless they would like it done and it wouldn't take away from Baertschi's value other than not knowing how much he will be making before a deal may be done.

He is RFA - they don't need Vancouver to be part of negotiations.   It's really just for that 8th year.  

3 minutes ago, mll said:

He is RFA - they don't need Vancouver to be part of negotiations.   It's really just for that 8th year.  

Okay then trade and sign with a deal in place (like Burrows), whatever you want to call it. Not the point of my post.

Severson would be a great long term addition.  He is from the defence factory of Kelowna.  The Rockets have had Weber, Keith, Souray, Hannan, Edler, Myers, Schenn, Morrissey, Barrie, Severson, Gorges, and others.

They also have Cal Foote and Madison Bowie on the way.

He is a great all around defenceman.  If we could get him without giving up too much.

Archived