The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Signing) - Oilers sign Vaxjo Lakers D Joel Perrson

Al-mo

15 minutes ago, rekker said:

Poor kid. Probabaly had a chance to be a player..... Oilers will make sure he doesn't. 

Not true.  He'll go on to the SCF or conference finals within 8 months of leaving the Oilers like the rest of them

21 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Stop living in the past. This is a non-issue in the game today.

Average weight for Washington Capitals D men - 203 lbs

Average weight for Tampa D men - 213 lbs 

Average weight for Winnipeg D-men - 215lbs

Average weight for Vegas D-men - 203 lbs

There is only one defenseman on these rosters that is under 180 lbs and that's Christian Djoos(169) and he has 1 point in 13 games. Is only a +2 and averages a little over 11 minutes.  Sure, having one on your roster isn't a bad idea. I'm not going to take that away from anyone. He could be a stud, he could also get run over every single game and start to second guess going into corners. I'm sure Philip Larsen has one particular horror story about his time in the NHL. 

2 minutes ago, Jaku said:

There is only one defenseman on these rosters that is under 180 lbs and that's Christian Djoos(169) and he has 1 point in 13 games. Is only a +2 and averages a little over 11 minutes.  Sure, having one on your roster isn't a bad idea. I'm not going to take that away from anyone. He could be a stud, he could also get run over every single game and start to second guess going into corners. I'm sure Philip Larsen has one particular horror story about his time in the NHL. 

I didn't realize these 4 teams had such heavy D.  Nice post.  The way guys pound D on the fore check now, maybe the lighter body Dman will become a thing of the past, unless the guy is Erik Karlsson elite?  I'm so glad we have Edler and Gudbranson.  I wish Tanev was 20 pounds of muscle in his lower body heavier.

22 minutes ago, Jaku said:

My trusty calculator says the Canucks D averages 202.75 lbs which puts them right with Vegas and Washington.

I get what you are saying but scale weight is just a number. Plenty of lighter players play heavy games.

I was rooting for the Canucks to sign him. I'm a little disappointed in the Canucks lack of Euro/NCAA signings this year. Benning honestly could and should be doing more on that front.

I wonder if the Holm/Rodin treatments have soured Euro players on the Canucks (for now)?!?

4 hours ago, RonMexico said:

Stop living in the past. This is a non-issue in the game today.

As a forward.

Look at the size of the defence still left in the playoffs.

The Knights shortest roster defenceman is Nate Schmidt at 6'1"

Tbay shortest is Stralman at 5'11", but with the other half of that being 6'5",6'6" with Coburn and Hedman

The Jets... Myers and Byfuglien at 6'8" and 6'5" and both are pretty jacked. Shortest is 5'10" Enstrom who isn't seeing much ice at all. 

The Preds have what I'd say is the shortest 'average' defence at what napkin math says is 6'1" - short man Ellis at 5'10", the rest are all bigger (and 6'1") and quite heavy for the height.

It's still an issue for defence. Smaller forwards can get away with it, but small defencemen are ineffective over here. They just get creamed over, and over, and over again. Retrieve a puck from a dump, get smashed by a big fast forward. Rinse and repeat.

4 hours ago, RonMexico said:

My trusty calculator says the Canucks D averages 202.75 lbs which puts them right with Vegas and Washington.

I get what you are saying but scale weight is just a number. Plenty of lighter players play heavy games.

In other news, I never pictured Hutton to be 6'2" and 207lbs.  Case in point, I'd say 5'10" 193lbs Biega plays way bigger than Hutton.

Archived