The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Coyotes Discussing Long Term Deal with D Ekman-Larsson

2 hours ago, rekker said:

OEL is a heck of a dman. But if he stays in the desert like Doan then I will lose respect for him as well. I get the sunshine and all. But I can't respect a player that doesn't want to win a championship. 

Oh hell I would probably do the same.  As much as championships would be amazing, money + sun + no public recognizing and bugging you = my kind of life.  I am not a people person so the less I would have to deal with public the more I would personally prefer.

3 minutes ago, Russ said:

Oh hell I would probably do the same.  As much as championships would be amazing, money + sun + no public recognizing and bugging you = my kind of life.  I am not a people person so the less I would have to deal with public the more I would personally prefer.

Willie Mitchell comes to mind. Won his cups in LA and then played out the string in Florida. That's a career you can hang a hat on.

5 minutes ago, Russ said:

Guess it depends on who you are. I would want all the attention, drama, ups and downs of playing on a contender. Once I get my cup I would play in the sunshine somewhere though. Lol.

34 minutes ago, rekker said:

Well that does raise a good point with it being similar to the twins situation. Never thought of it that way. Are you saying that the Coyotes could land a championship in the next eight years though? The franchise has been a farce for years. Myself, if I played in the NHL I would do whatever it takes to win that cup. Signing in the desert for eight more years does seem like a path to the cup. Love my family and spend lots of time with them but sometimes I do put my passions ahead of them. My passion if I played in the NHL would be to win a cup. 

Any team can land a championship in the next 8 years. They have solid pieces in place. I don't follow them enough to know exactly what's holding them back but they have a decent foundation in place. Raanta's numbers last year were Vezina level. If he's healthy all year who knows what they can achieve. 

And again with the Sedin comparison, maybe he only wants that Cup with one team. The Coyotes. I don't know nearly enough about the guy to declare him not hungry just because he wants to re-sign with a team that constantly sucks. Cause the argument can also be made that he is just really loyal to his team and wants to succeed with them. It's a bit easier for us North Americans to not really care where we set up in North America, maybe it's different for European players. High profile Swedes almost always just settle down where they are drafted. Get comfortable.

8 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Any team can land a championship in the next 8 years. They have solid pieces in place. I don't follow them enough to know exactly what's holding them back but they have a decent foundation in place. Raanta's numbers last year were Vezina level. If he's healthy all year who knows what they can achieve. 

And again with the Sedin comparison, maybe he only wants that Cup with one team. The Coyotes. I don't know nearly enough about the guy to declare him not hungry just because he wants to re-sign with a team that constantly sucks. Cause the argument can also be made that he is just really loyal to his team and wants to succeed with them. It's a bit easier for us North Americans to not really care where we set up in North America, maybe it's different for European players. High profile Swedes almost always just settle down where they are drafted. Get comfortable.

Ya I get where your coming from. I get that any team can win. Kind of like as long as I'm alive I have a chance at banging Jessica Alba. But really there are a lot of things I can do to increase my odds. If he signs and plays for the Coyotes for the next eight years it's for lifestyle, family, security. Not to win a cup. Just not what I would do. I want a better chance at a cup. 

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Canucks should trade for Dylan Strome. 3OA '15, 21 years old, center, massive amounts of points in the OHL, 53 pts in the AHL last year, 6'3" - 202 lbs...

McDavid, Reichel, Marner, Hanifin, Zacha, Provorov, Werenski, Meier, Rantanen, DeBrusk, Barzal, Connor, Boeser, Konecny all made their teams and have had great years. Unless he's a total, absolute bust of a human being, I don't see how a bottom team like Phoenix can say no to their 3OA.

NO.

Check the thesaurus -- "Strome" is a synonym for "overrated", and becoming a metaphor for "bust".

2 hours ago, mll said:

From 1 January onwards Arizona was 3rd in goals against.  They were last for the first half of the season.  That's quite the improvement.  New coach, new system, several new players and it took them some adjustment time.   They had such a terrible start to the season and their record doesn't really reflect how much their team has improved as the season went along. 

22 minutes ago, rekker said:

Ya I get where your coming from. I get that any team can win. Kind of like as long as I'm alive I have a chance at banging Jessica Alba. But really there are a lot of things I can do to increase my odds. If he signs and plays for the Coyotes for the next eight years it's for lifestyle, family, security. Not to win a cup. Just not what I would do. I want a better chance at a cup. 

As mll mentioned, the team seemed to make a turn in the 2nd half of the year. Another top pick this year. Not to say they will be a contender soon, but they could make a splash in the standings sooner than one might think. He could bolt and chase a cup much like Kesler and Ehrhoff did and still not achieve that dream. Might as well get paid and have security when the opportunity arises. There's a lot of life left after hockey. Some Stanley Cup winners are homeless.

IMO, family always comes first.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

NO.

Check the thesaurus -- "Strome" is a synonym for "overrated", and becoming a metaphor for "bust".

I never believe a player is a bust until he is part of another organization and delivers the same result.

Rare are the 3OAs that don't pan out.

2017 - Miro Heskainen - DAL - TBD - (Only 1OA Hischier and 2OA Patrick have found success in the NHL so far.)

2016 - Pierre-Luc Dubois - C - CBJ - 82PG - 20G - 28A - 48Pts

2015 - Dylan Strome - C - PHX - 28GP - 4G - 6A - 10Pts (Is being mishandled in Phoenix)

2014 - Leon Draisaitl - C - EDM - 269GP - 75G - 132A - 207Pts

2013 - Jonathan Drouin - C - TBL - 241GP - 42G - 99A - 141Pts (Was being mishandled in Tampa, working out in Montreal)

2012 - Alex Galcheniuk - L - MTL - 418GP - 108G - 147A - 255Pts

2011 - Jonathan Huberdeau - L - FLA - 385GP - 95G - 173A - 267Pts

2010 - Erik Gudbranson - DD - FLA - 389GP - 14G - 40A - 54Pts 

2009 - Matt Duchene - C - COL - 654GP - 201G - 276A - 477Pts

2008 - Zach Bogosian - D - ATL - 552 GC - 49G - 121A - 170Pts

2007 - Kyle Turris - C - PHX - 609GP - 149G - 213A - 362Pts (Was being mishandled in Phoenix, worked out on OTT, working out in NSH)

2006 - Jonathan Toews - C - CHI - 791GP - 292G - 276A - 482Pts (Total chump)

2005 - Jack Johnson - DD - CAR - 788GP - 66G - 212A - 278Pts

2004 - Cam Barker - C - CHI - 310GP - 21G - 75A - 96Pts (Meh... Finished career in Europe)

2003 - Nathan Horton - R - FLA - 626GP - 203G - 218A - 421Pts

2002 - Jay Boumeester - D - FLA - 1106GP - 84G - 314A - 398Pts

2001 - Alexandr Svitov - C - TBL - 179GP - 13G - 24A - 37Pts (Didn't work out, went back to Europe)

2000 - Marian Gaborik - R - MIN - 1035GP - 407G - 408A - 815Pts

1999 - Henrik Sedin - C - VAN - 1330GP - 240G - 830A - 1070Pts (Total chump)

I would say Barker and Svitov are the 3OA exceptions that didn't pan out since the greatest captain in Canucks history was drafted at that same position. The chances are great that Strome would find his way with another organization with another perspective, especially one focused on youth.

3 hours ago, rekker said:

Well that does raise a good point with it being similar to the twins situation. Never thought of it that way. Are you saying that the Coyotes could land a championship in the next eight years though? The franchise has been a farce for years. Myself, if I played in the NHL I would do whatever it takes to win that cup. Signing in the desert for eight more years does seem like a path to the cup. Love my family and spend lots of time with them but sometimes I do put my passions ahead of them. My passion if I played in the NHL would be to win a cup. 

Or another way you can look at it is, you make your money while you still can and playing at an elite level. When you're in your early to mid 30s, and no Cup, I'd start thinking about winning a Cup and will do whatever it takes to win a Cup. 

End of the day, a championship is the ultimate goal but being a professional athlete, you get the luxury of being paid millions of dollars to play a recreational game.

7 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

What have you come up with so far?

I haven't started the pursuit but I would start by working my abs, padding my bank account, a yearly subscription to GQ. Oh, and quit wasting my time on these boards. Lol. Maybe just the first three. Need my hockey talk. 

20 hours ago, rekker said:

OEL is a heck of a dman. But if he stays in the desert like Doan then I will lose respect for him as well. I get the sunshine and all. But I can't respect a player that doesn't want to win a championship. 

They had a heckuva second half to their season.  Why is loyalty a negative trait?  Would you prefer him to be a Kesler?

14 hours ago, Me_ said:

I never believe a player is a bust until he is part of another organization and delivers the same result.

Rare are the 3OAs that don't pan out.

I would say Barker and Svitov are the 3OA exceptions that didn't pan out since the greatest captain in Canucks history was drafted at that same position. The chances are great that Strome would find his way with another organization with another perspective, especially one focused on youth.

That's great, just let it be somewhere else other than here.  He may not be a bust yet, but he is very bust-able. 

14 hours ago, Me_ said:

Yep I agree. 

I find it ironic when people call a player in their draft +3 season bust despite putting up 53 points in 50 AHL games.  Funny how that when Jake was in his draft +3 year those same people would lose their minds if you said the B word. Despite Jake only putting up 19 points in 63 AHL games.  Both players just need to find their way, but it’s extremely hypocritical none the less.

Strome had a really solid season in the AHL last year.  He then finished the end of the season with the Yotes, playing in the final 10 games while putting up a very respectable 8 points in that time.  I would say he’s far from being a bust. 

That’s the thing with a lot people on this board.  It’s such a double standard when it comes to valuing our players and other teams.  On hand you got people bragging about players like Jake and Juolevi and in the same breath you see them stating Bennett and Puljujarvi are bust despite being the same age.  Last year people were calling Reinhart a bust when he had a bad start, only for him to turn it around and put up 39 points in his final 44 games. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

They had a heckuva second half to their season.  Why is loyalty a negative trait?  Would you prefer him to be a Kesler?

I admire Kesler for wanting to win. He is a douche no doubt. But I want guys on my team that want to win a cup. Will do whatever to win a cup. Kesler is like that and wanted nothing to do with our deteriorating team. OEL like Doan before him are settlling for sunshine and loyalty rather than a legit shot at a championship. Of course the Yotes have a chance but it is slim to none that they win a cup the next eight years. Doan always had a "chance" as well. He ended up playing like 30 playoff games in 20 years. Not me. NHL is a meat market and loyalty is for chumps. Careers are gone in a flash and if I am an upper tier player like OEL, Doan, Kesler I'm using my leverage to play for a legit contender. If I am a retired, star player I want to know I did everything I could to win a cup. 

Archived