The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Coyotes Discussing Long Term Deal with D Ekman-Larsson

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I admire Kesler for wanting to win. He is a douche no doubt. But I want guys on my team that want to win a cup. Will do whatever to win a cup. Kesler is like that and wanted nothing to do with our deteriorating team. OEL like Doan before him are settlling for sunshine and loyalty rather than a legit shot at a championship. Of course the Yotes have a chance but it is slim to none that they win a cup the next eight years. Doan always had a "chance" as well. He ended up playing like 30 playoff games in 20 years. Not me. NHL is a meat market and loyalty is for chumps. Careers are gone in a flash and if I am an upper tier player like OEL, Doan, Kesler I'm using my leverage to play for a legit contender. If I am a retired, star player I want to know I did everything I could to win a cup. 

I have noticed over the years that it is rare to have an upper echelon player who wants to win over anything else including more money or a "sunny" place too play. Its rare to see these players want play , like Vegas is right now , and play with that grit and determination(ALA Kessler). These are usually called "character" players and are the one that usually win you championships. I am more and more inclined to keep these over paid premadonna's off the team and fill it with players who are willing to pay the price to win a championship.

Keep your Matthews and your McJesus's and give us more players like Bo and Virt. The only place you cannot skimp on though is a goalie and that's usually what makes or breaks a team in the playoffs more often then not anyway.

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

I have noticed over the years that it is rare to have an upper echelon player who wants to win over anything else including more money or a "sunny" place too play. Its rare to see these players want play , like Vegas is right now , and play with that grit and determination(ALA Kessler). These are usually called "character" players and are the one that usually win you championships. I am more and more inclined to keep these over paid premadonna's off the team and fill it with players who are willing to pay the price to win a championship.

Keep your Matthews and your McJesus's and give us more players like Bo and Virt. The only place you cannot skimp on though is a goalie and that's usually what makes or breaks a team in the playoffs more often then not anyway.

Bang on. If you have played hockey you have had that guy on your team. You wish you were more like him. That player competing the way he does brings out the best in everyone around him. Few have it. 

Of course Phoenix is trying to re-sign him.  Those types of players are irreplaceable and almost never get on the market.  If he is happy in Phoenix despite all the loosing then good for him.  We hope for the same with our players or we wouldn't be able to re-sign anyone.

25 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Of course Phoenix is trying to re-sign him.  Those types of players are irreplaceable and almost never get on the market.  If he is happy in Phoenix despite all the loosing then good for him.  We hope for the same with our players or we wouldn't be able to re-sign anyone.

It’s a no pressure market, that’s got great weather.  He’s staying.  I think we could have a chance at EK in a year.

7 hours ago, rekker said:

I admire Kesler for wanting to win. He is a douche no doubt. But I want guys on my team that want to win a cup. Will do whatever to win a cup. Kesler is like that and wanted nothing to do with our deteriorating team. OEL like Doan before him are settlling for sunshine and loyalty rather than a legit shot at a championship. Of course the Yotes have a chance but it is slim to none that they win a cup the next eight years. Doan always had a "chance" as well. He ended up playing like 30 playoff games in 20 years. Not me. NHL is a meat market and loyalty is for chumps. Careers are gone in a flash and if I am an upper tier player like OEL, Doan, Kesler I'm using my leverage to play for a legit contender. If I am a retired, star player I want to know I did everything I could to win a cup. 

Let's put it this way. I assume you're a Canucks fan, correct? Right now we are a bottom of the barrel team and have been the last few years. Who's to say we will be a contender anytime soon? So if every player had your mentality, we will be seeing Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, etc just waiting to leave the team whether it's demanding a trade like Kesler or playing until UFA and bolting. The team will never be able to recover from continual losses like that and the franchise will have to fold/move and we will no longer have a team to cheer for. However, instead we have true character guys (eg Sedins) who are loyal to the franchise and will do all it takes to try to give the team success regardless if that Cup dream may never be achieved. This is giving back to the city and fans and these players are more adorned and respected by the fans (I would hope). If the Canucks do turn around and say win the Cup within the next decade or so with some of our current prospects, I will give some credit to the Sedins for sticking around and helping the future of the team. If Kesler never wins anything, he will have accomplished no more than the Sedins and will have no legacy and be forgotten when he retires.

I would 10/10 want players that want to be here and want to win for us over players willing to burn the team for themselves. Sure Kesler may have that dream to win, but there are other ways to try to achieve that goal, so I have no respect for him for the way he left and I'm glad he has won diddly since he has left. He could have played his heart out here and quietly let management how he feels and let us move him at the trade deadline or let management find the best return for the team. He had two years left on his deal and if he really wanted to be down to a couple of teams, he could have signed with anyone when he hit UFA. So of course you want players that want to win versus players that just want a pay out and coast, but I personally want players that want to win for my city and want to be part of the turnaround of the team. 

I should also add that I have much more respect if OEL chose to stay in Arizona, but I also won't be annoyed if he did choose to leave via UFA or if the team is allowed to trade him because he played his full time in Arizona and has earned his right to make that choice.

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Let's put it this way. I assume you're a Canucks fan, correct? Right now we are a bottom of the barrel team and have been the last few years. Who's to say we will be a contender anytime soon? So if every player had your mentality, we will be seeing Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, etc just waiting to leave the team whether it's demanding a trade like Kesler or playing until UFA and bolting. The team will never be able to recover from continual losses like that and the franchise will have to fold/move and we will no longer have a team to cheer for. However, instead we have true character guys (eg Sedins) who are loyal to the franchise and will do all it takes to try to give the team success regardless if that Cup dream may never be achieved. This is giving back to the city and fans and these players are more adorned and respected by the fans (I would hope). If the Canucks do turn around and say win the Cup within the next decade or so with some of our current prospects, I will give some credit to the Sedins for sticking around and helping the future of the team. If Kesler never wins anything, he will have accomplished no more than the Sedins and will have no legacy and be forgotten when he retires.

I would 10/10 want players that want to be here and want to win for us over players willing to burn the team for themselves. Sure Kesler may have that dream to win, but there are other ways to try to achieve that goal, so I have no respect for him for the way he left and I'm glad he has won diddly since he has left. He could have played his heart out here and quietly let management how he feels and let us move him at the trade deadline or let management find the best return for the team. He had two years left on his deal and if he really wanted to be down to a couple of teams, he could have signed with anyone when he hit UFA. So of course you want players that want to win versus players that just want a pay out and coast, but I personally want players that want to win for my city and want to be part of the turnaround of the team. 

I should also add that I have much more respect if OEL chose to stay in Arizona, but I also won't be annoyed if he did choose to leave via UFA or if the team is allowed to trade him because he played his full time in Arizona and has earned his right to make that choice.

If Bo, Boeser, et all are here for the next six years and we still suck like the Coyotes have for years then I would hope they would leave. I hope they have higher standards than that. If you have the true heart of a lion you don't stick with a crap team for a decade and a half out of loyalty. You go try to win. Kesler left for the Ducks when they were a powerhouse. Probably won't win a cup but had a way better chance than here. Twins are an exception because they are a package. An expensive package so I don't think it was even an option. I would respect Edler more if he asks to go to a contender at the deadline and maybe resign here if he wants. Hamhuis reportedly refused a trade to Chicago. Lame. Go try and win a cup. It's three months of your life. Again, if you have the heart of a lion, losing and the lack of a real shot at a championship will eat at your soul. If I was in the last half or twilight years of my career and an upper tier player the cup would be my main focus.

8 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

That's great, just let it be somewhere else other than here.  He may not be a bust yet, but he is very bust-able. 

For every Granlund there is a Baertschi. Personally I would take a chance on Strome. Thank you for your perspective.

34 minutes ago, rekker said:

If Bo, Boeser, et all are here for the next six years and we still suck like the Coyotes have for years then I would hope they would leave. I hope they have higher standards than that. If you have the true heart of a lion you don't stick with a crap team for a decade and a half out of loyalty. You go try to win. Kesler left for the Ducks when they were a powerhouse. Probably won't win a cup but had a way better chance than here. Twins are an exception because they are a package. An expensive package so I don't think it was even an option. I would respect Edler more if he asks to go to a contender at the deadline and maybe resign here if he wants. Hamhuis reportedly refused a trade to Chicago. Lame. Go try and win a cup. It's three months of your life. Again, if you have the heart of a lion, losing and the lack of a real shot at a championship will eat at your soul. If I was in the last half or twilight years of my career and an upper tier player the cup would be my main focus.

I'll give you the fact that if we are still sucking to our levels now for 6 more years that I'll understand those players wanting to leave. At least Horvat because he will be playing out his contract and earning his right to choose another team or not, much like OEL which I've stated that I would have no issue with him leaving, but just having more respect for him possibly wanting to stay.

I think the issue I have from your post is the admiration for Kesler. We have not been a bad team and the team had been saying they've been wanting to remain competitive. Not only did he want to leave, but he handcuffed us. He signed his contract and he should have honoured it or allowed us the proper process to move him for the biggest return possible. He gets his wish and the team still benefits. If he still isn't happy, he has a couple more years on his contract and can sign with anyone he wants. My concern is what if those players just decide it's not worth sticking around and asking for a trade and citing they want to go to a competitor sooner than we would like for them to possibly go, is that still admirable simply for their desire to win?

I truly believe that Doan (and OEL and other players of this mould) wanted to win, but was connected to the city in some way and would only want to win a championship with that organization. I just have much more respect for players that choose to do this because playing for one organization you entire long career is quite uncommon.

I want players that want to win on the team as well and I understand players making decisions to achieve their goals, but there is a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it. I guess the only point I'm against is any respect or admiration for Kesler after his time here.

7 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I'll give you the fact that if we are still sucking to our levels now for 6 more years that I'll understand those players wanting to leave. At least Horvat because he will be playing out his contract and earning his right to choose another team or not, much like OEL which I've stated that I would have no issue with him leaving, but just having more respect for him possibly wanting to stay.

I think the issue I have from your post is the admiration for Kesler. We have not been a bad team and the team had been saying they've been wanting to remain competitive. Not only did he want to leave, but he handcuffed us. He signed his contract and he should have honoured it or allowed us the proper process to move him for the biggest return possible. He gets his wish and the team still benefits. If he still isn't happy, he has a couple more years on his contract and can sign with anyone he wants. My concern is what if those players just decide it's not worth sticking around and asking for a trade and citing they want to go to a competitor sooner than we would like for them to possibly go, is that still admirable simply for their desire to win?

I truly believe that Doan (and OEL and other players of this mould) wanted to win, but was connected to the city in some way and would only want to win a championship with that organization. I just have much more respect for players that choose to do this because playing for one organization you entire long career is quite uncommon.

I want players that want to win on the team as well and I understand players making decisions to achieve their goals, but there is a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it. I guess the only point I'm against is any respect or admiration for Kesler after his time here.

Kesler is a douche. First class. The way he treated the organization is not the way I would of. Im to nice.  But that's why I admire him so much as a player. He didn't care about optics, fans, the Orca. He wants the best chance to win and nothing else matters. I want that guy on my team. I want as many of them as possible. I don't care if we all hate each other but when the puck drops we have each other's back, play to win. I will always be a fan of Kesler and his time here. I understand how in his mind it was time to leave and wouldn't settle for less than his bulls eye target. He wants to win that bad. Noting else matters.

10 hours ago, rekker said:

Kesler is a douche. First class. The way he treated the organization is not the way I would of. Im to nice.  But that's why I admire him so much as a player. He didn't care about optics, fans, the Orca. He wants the best chance to win and nothing else matters. I want that guy on my team. I want as many of them as possible. I don't care if we all hate each other but when the puck drops we have each other's back, play to win. I will always be a fan of Kesler and his time here. I understand how in his mind it was time to leave and wouldn't settle for less than his bulls eye target. He wants to win that bad. Noting else matters.

The only problem he had when he was here was that there was not enough players around him that were like him. I remember him going "beast mode" in the playoffs and no one followed him, the rest of the team seemed content on losing and he was angered by that. You are right we need more then one player like this and I am sorry, the Twins were not these kind of players, way too nice and gentlemanly for the playoffs IMO. They were top talented players but didn't have that "win at all cost" mentality when it comes to winning in the playoffs.

12 hours ago, EdgarM said:

The only problem he had when he was here was that there was not enough players around him that were like him. I remember him going "beast mode" in the playoffs and no one followed him, the rest of the team seemed content on losing and he was angered by that. You are right we need more then one player like this and I am sorry, the Twins were not these kind of players, way too nice and gentlemanly for the playoffs IMO. They were top talented players but didn't have that "win at all cost" mentality when it comes to winning in the playoffs.

Will always be the single dumbest thing I read when people talk about the Sedins.

On 17/05/2018 at 9:12 PM, theo5789 said:

I would say the ship has sailed on the Ducks now.  Kesler won't even get close from here on out and I couldn't be happier

On 18/05/2018 at 6:35 AM, rekker said:

and how did that turn out?

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎19 at 5:38 AM, N7Nucks said:

Will always be the single dumbest thing I read when people talk about the Sedins.

I guess you don't watch too many playoff games then I guess. :lol: There are certain players who know the difference between the regular season and the playoffs and exceed beyond expectations when the playoff season begins. Then there are some who do OK and play similar to what they do in the regular season or less. There are some who welcome the tight checking and harder hitting and some not so much and would much rather complain to the refs.

But you see, there are some homers with rose colored glasses who see no faults in some of their heroes and fail to see the  realities. So the Sedins get praised for their work in the community and Kessler gets vilified for wanting to win so badly that he gets a little emotional and takes off to greener pastures. I kind of like the guy on the team who wants to win at all costs, call me crazy!

There is no doubt ,the Sedins are a couple of the most talented players who have ever donned the Canuck jersey but the fact still remains that as their 17+ year tenure as the leaders and offensive force on this team they failed to bring home a Cup. I have heard all the excuses but those facts still remain the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived