The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trading Dmen (Discussion)

While looking to see who we could trade for picks..........my favorite pastime! It became clear to me that we need to trade 2 LHD, as we have 4 LHD signed and another 4 LHD on the farm.......

I am wondering if I have it right when thinking of them, and their worth to the team and to the other teams............below, they are listed in order of present day value (not their ceiling), and again wonder if I have it right? Please feel free to differ, as I am not sure if I even have the question right....

Rankings

1. Edler................solid journeymen Defenseman.......on a good team a 3/4.......on an average team 2/3........on a poor team a 1/2

2. MDZ.................average journeymen Defenseman.......4/5/6 on a good team........3/4 on an average to poor team

3. Joulevi..............top prospect Defenseman on most teams

4. Hutton...............has every thing to be a top 4 , but a brain...........still has time to learn, and he one..........a 5/6 on most teams right now

5. Pouliot...............has every thing to be a top 4, but a brain............I personally don't see him improving

6. Sautner.............has the ability to be a 5/6 now...ceiling a 4......defensive, aggressive, positional....needs a regular chance...played well during his call up

7. Brisebois...........potential 3/4 on an average team, needs another year in the minors

8. McEneny...........if he rebounds from his injury, he will be pushing Sautner and Brisebois for a bottom spot on the Canucks soon, if not given a chance, he leaves to Europe

In my opinion, we should move MDZ and Pouliot, for what we can get for them.....they have bogged the younger players on the farm down

MDZ is as good as Hickey and DeHaan on the Islanders, which alternate between 3/4 and 5/6. Pouliot much the same...........

Their values are in the 2nd to 3rd round pick value range

Are we better off with them? I don't think it matters. Plz jump in!

MDZ was always going to be a stop-gap.   Nothing wrong with that as he was quite serviceable for us and I shudder to think about our D most nights without him in the lineup with the injuries we sustained. Not exactly sure of his market value but he's reliable and affordable so....

Poulliot had his first full season with real,  meaningful minutes on a nightly basis and overall,  I think he showed well.  There's upside to his game yet if you ask me.   Keep him around imo.

Now we're getting somewhere, shed the redundant players. 

MDZ, by eye test, is a far better defender than Pouliot, is older and would maybe get us a 2nd. I'm sure JB would move him for that.

We're short a 4th this year from the Pouliot trade. According to a few reports I've read this draft is deep through the third round. Apparently picks 25-90 are on a plateau, so if this is true, a 2nd or even a 3rd would be great if JB can get a guy he has his eye on for MDZ.

Pouliot can play RD and looked ok there this year, plus he's young and was improving throughout the season so I'm not sure you move him yet. Hutty's value is in decline unless you can hoodwink an analytics dork, so I wouldn't be excited to get a 4th for him even to round out or picks. That's where Nilsson comes in...

Trade Hutton in the offseason. Draft a top RD such as Dobson or Bouchard who are almost NHL ready and a guy such as Miller/Sandin5.

Trade Del Zotto and Guddy at the deadline.

Trade Tanev next offseason before draft. 

Begin season with

Edler-Guddy

Juolevi-Tanev

MDZ-Stecher

Pouliot-Biega

After deadline

Edler-Stecher

Juolevi-Tanev

Pouliot-Biega

McEneny-Chatfield

Going to be a few years of pain fixing the backend no matter what happens but we have good longterm pieces in Stecher, Juolevi, Pouliot, Chatfield etc.

Future D corp of

Juolevi - 2018pick(Dobson/Bouchard)

Brisebois/McEneny/Rathbone/Tryamkin - Stecher

Pouliot - Chatfield

What will happen will really depend on Juolevi. If he has a strong camp, that would make one of Hutton or Pouliot expendable imo. Whichever one has a better showing would stay. The other dealt for anything he could fetch. 

If Juolevi is having a good consistent year, that would make MDZ expendable. I think come the deadline he would be worth a 2nd to a contender unless he is having a bad year.

So I think it would look something like this.

Start of season 

Edler, MDZ, Hutton, Pouliot

Or

Edler, MDZ, Juolevi, Hutton/Pouliot

At the deadline if Juolevi improves

Edler, Juolevi, Hutton/Pouliot, McEneny

This is taking into consideration that there will be injuries and people will be moved up the lineup throughout the year. By the end of the year, I would like to see one of Sautner or Brisebois get a few games when injuries come up. Sautner is likely more NHL ready, but Brisebois did logged the most minutes on the Comets this last season. Brisebois didn't thrive in that role but he survived and for a 20 year old in his first year of pro hockey that is decent.

I think Pouliot and Hutton are redondant, one definitely has to go.  Feels like Hutton might have a better value, Pouliot have had many opportunities, while Hutton had a great start but struggled lately.  Someone might think they can save him.

Whichever we keep, they can't be more than depth 6/7/8th defenseman.

For an immediate fix draft Bouchard as after Dahlin he's the most NHL ready dman, and the current THN has him at seven, up from ninth, Hughes moved ahead to sixth.  McKenzie has Bouchard at 5 so it's hard to say.  If Benning thinks he has CAR time (as in nine straight years out of the playoffs), then draft Hughes if available as admittedly he has a higher ceiling.  

Bouchard likely would be on the point running the PP before the season is up, everyone moves down one spot.

Healthy internal competition.  Let the best stand up.  That's the way Benning wants it.

If Juolevi wants to play in the NHL, he's going to have to show that he's better than Pouliot, Hutton and Sautner.  Does he still have to learn this hard lesson?  He needs to play so if he isn't starting with the Canucks, he'll be in Utica.

MDZ in the final year of his contract so look to him to be on the block at the trade deadline.

My vote would be trading both Hutton and MDZ this year. MDZ likely could get a low 2nd/high 3rd alone. Hutton might have to be packaged with someone else (say Granlund) and the two of them bringing back two 3rds, one this year, one next year, with the next year one being a conditional pick that could realistically move to a 2nd with some good years, and even a 1st (but likely only if both players achieved WELL beyond expectations...like a 30 goal year for Granlund and a 35 point year for Hutton).

This would open it up for both Joulevi and Sautner; a UFA wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Chatfield intrigues me, he's a real battler that plays a good two way game. I thought he read the ice well, moved the puck flawlessly and skated effortlessly last camp. He may be the surprise in our back end who knows?

On 5/16/2018 at 11:32 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Thanks guys.......let's keep this a LHD thread please

Someone up above noted that Pouliot can play both LHD and RHD....................good point

Maybe it's MDZ and Hutton then...........a 2nd and a 3rd at the TDL?

I would try and get what I can now. Waiting until the TDL might lower their respective values if they have an off year.

On 2018-05-17 at 10:21 AM, Crabcakes said:

Healthy internal competition.  Let the best stand up.  That's the way Benning wants it.

If Juolevi wants to play in the NHL, he's going to have to show that he's better than Pouliot, Hutton and Sautner.  Does he still have to learn this hard lesson?  He needs to play so if he isn't starting with the Canucks, he'll be in Utica.

MDZ in the final year of his contract so look to him to be on the block at the trade deadline.

At least it's a low gradient and he's not in NSH trying to get in....

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:48 PM, janisahockeynut said:

While looking to see who we could trade for picks..........my favorite pastime! It became clear to me that we need to trade 2 LHD, as we have 4 LHD signed and another 4 LHD on the farm.......

I am wondering if I have it right when thinking of them, and their worth to the team and to the other teams............below, they are listed in order of present day value (not their ceiling), and again wonder if I have it right? Please feel free to differ, as I am not sure if I even have the question right....

Rankings

1. Edler................solid journeymen Defenseman.......on a good team a 3/4.......on an average team 2/3........on a poor team a 1/2

2. MDZ.................average journeymen Defenseman.......4/5/6 on a good team........3/4 on an average to poor team

3. Joulevi..............top prospect Defenseman on most teams

4. Hutton...............has every thing to be a top 4 , but a brain...........still has time to learn, and he one..........a 5/6 on most teams right now

5. Pouliot...............has every thing to be a top 4, but a brain............I personally don't see him improving

6. Sautner.............has the ability to be a 5/6 now...ceiling a 4......defensive, aggressive, positional....needs a regular chance...played well during his call up

7. Brisebois...........potential 3/4 on an average team, needs another year in the minors

8. McEneny...........if he rebounds from his injury, he will be pushing Sautner and Brisebois for a bottom spot on the Canucks soon, if not given a chance, he leaves to Europe

In my opinion, we should move MDZ and Pouliot, for what we can get for them.....they have bogged the younger players on the farm down

MDZ is as good as Hickey and DeHaan on the Islanders, which alternate between 3/4 and 5/6. Pouliot much the same...........

Their values are in the 2nd to 3rd round pick value range

Are we better off with them? I don't think it matters. Plz jump in!

# 8  McEneny  is your best deman not in the NHL , better than Hutton, Pouliot, Sautner, Briesebois ,was until he got injured Greens best deman in Utica If he didn't get hurt, you would have seen him in the NHL. Big strong and can move the puck Greens favorite deman. As long as he rehabs and gets back to his old self he will replace Hutton

On 5/17/2018 at 7:40 AM, timberz21 said:

I think Pouliot and Hutton are redondant, one definitely has to go.  Feels like Hutton might have a better value, Pouliot have had many opportunities, while Hutton had a great start but struggled lately.  Someone might think they can save him.

Whichever we keep, they can't be more than depth 6/7/8th defenseman.

If having both is redundant then trade the overpriced contract away. Yes it would seem Hutton may have better trade value and higher cost so win on both counts.

On 5/16/2018 at 8:42 PM, Tystick said:

Trade Tanev and Hutton

Draft Bouchard/Hughes

Edler - Stecher

Pouliot - Bouchard/Hughes

Del Zotto - Gudbranson

To me Stetcher instead of Tanev as he is younger Tanev is solid and that is what we need untill we get a D to replace him in the draft or trade

Archived