The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal (TRADE) VAN-CAR

Justin Faulk is available on the market with recent reports of the Carolina Hurricanes wanting a shakeup. He is the exact type of d the Canucks lack. I'm taking a bonafide 40 points a year offensive d man with a good right hand shot from the point and good size 6 foot 215 pounds and not a liability defensively.

Somewhere between Charlie McAvoy and Drew Doughty in playstyle and body type.

He is still only 26 and has 2 years left on his current deal, set to pay him 6 million salary, but only a 4.5 cap hit and he doesn't even have a NTC or NMC!

So he has a great contract but he has missed some time the last couple seasons due to injury and Wadell the old Altlana Thrashers GM wants to make his mark on the team and shed salary to rebuild for the ownership presumably.

What would it take for the Canucks to land him?

I propose 

To CAR: Goldobin,Baertschi, VAN 2018 1st, Hutton

To Van: Justin Faulk

Ok go for it. Add more or less. Rip me a new one.

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

Huge over payment.

No way I would ever include our 2018 1st in a deal that could ultimately wind up as a two year rental.  That's the kind of deal that could haunt you for decades.

What if it was contingent on him signing an extension right away like Sutter did if they butter him up with "foundation piece talk"?

4 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Goldobin or Beartschi I would take out 1 ok

But Faulk is a still young proven right hand offensive d other than that that is a fair price imo.

Faulk is one of those guys who fits in with Schultz (the ex Oiler).  He needs to be on a very good team, where he can play fourth or fifth fiddle.  He's really not worth a whole heck of a lot.  He's extremely one dimensional, and always a big minus player.  (I think the other Carolina guy floated in trade rumors - Skinner - is one dimensional too.)  

I don't think he's the kind of player we should get at this point in our rebuild.

3 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

What if it was contingent on him signing an extension right away like Sutter did if they butter him up with "foundation piece talk"?

Still no, we are not in win now mode to give up any 1st round picks for the next few years

17 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Justin Faulk is available on the market with recent reports of the Carolina Hurricanes wanting a shakeup. He is the exact type of d the Canucks lack. I'm taking a bonafide 40 points a year offensive d man with a good right hand shot from the point and good size 6 foot 215 pounds and not a liability defensively.

He is still only 26 and has 2 years left on his current deal, set to pay him 6 million salary, but only a 4.5 cap hit and he doesn't even have a NTC or NMC!

So he has a great contract but he has missed some time the last couple seasons due to injury and Wadell the old Altlana Thrashers GM wants to make his mark on the team and shed salary to rebuild for the ownership presumably.

I propose 

It's tough because if Carolina is looking to rebuild, they want assets that the Canucks don't want to part with.  Faulk would be better suited to go to a team entering their core cup potential seasons.

I wouldn't give up our 2018 1st round pick, but I think the value is in line with what Carolina would want for Faulk.  None of Goldobin, Baertschi or Hutton are top pieces, so it's a package of quantity, and the one real piece of quality for a good defenseman entering his prime is the 1st rounder.

Maybe a team like the Islanders would part with one of their two first rounders for him?  And maybe the other first rounder for a goalie like Holtby?  Convince JT to stay.

3 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I would rather take my chances with what the draft pick could bring us.

While I like the idea of Faulk, he's a few years older than the new core.  By the time all these prospects are ready to compete for real, Faulk may be past his best before date.  I could see a deal where it's a lesser prospect and a project player for Faulk, maybe a later draft pick, but that's it.

Carolina is not rebuilding by trading for draft picks or prospects.  They want to upgrade their roster - everyone is available save Aho provided they get a better player in return.  

They are not looking to get multiple lesser assets but one better player in return.  

This is Dundon explaining his approach:  

https://nsjonline.com/article/2018/04/hurricanes-dundon-signals-changes-in-end-of-season-talk/

“I can tell you, we’re not finding better players than Sebastian Aho,” Dundon said. “We’re just not. We’re not finding hard workers and we’re not finding more committed hockey players.”

Dundon’s praise of Aho, however, was a postscript to his larger message: No one is safe, and everyone — management, players, coaches, and maybe even concession workers and parking attendants — should be on full alert.

“It’s our job to find players better than you, and it’s your job to make that hard,” was the message Dundon said he delivered to players during exit interviews — meetings he held without a figure from the front office or coach Bill Peters. “But there’s none of them I’m not trying to replace. Every one of them I want a better player than every one of them. That’s our job.”

No problem targeting Faulk. I think you are close in your proposal to what Carolina would be looking for, but some names would need to be switched. Ideally, I'd like us to keep our pick as well. I'd tell Carolina they could swap out Goldobin with any prospect not named Elias or Thatcher. That includes Juolevi, who I am becoming less sold on, though it would carry obvious risk. However, if JB took a Dmen with our pick this year, I think that would soften the blow of losing him. Not to mention getting Faulk.

Also, lol at anyone who thinks this is an overpayment. Hutton has little to no value, Baer is a low end 2nd liner who has value, but not as headliner in a big trade, and Goldobin is nothing more than a mystery box at this point. The highest value item going back to them in this proposal is the pick. 

53 minutes ago, mll said:

Carolina is not rebuilding by trading for draft picks or prospects.  They want to upgrade their roster - everyone is available save Aho provided they get a better player in return.  

They are not looking to get multiple lesser assets but one better player in return.  

I actually like the idea of Skinner, he'd probably produce at a similar rate to Kane but with only a 2 year contract, and good trade bait in year 2 as well. 

So who do we have that they would consider an 'upgrade' for either Faulk or Skinner that we're willing to part with? Assuming Juolevi is off the table I don't see who they'd want on D from us. But maybe there's a deal for Skinner for roster pieces but I don't know enough about what Carolina needs to know who fits from our group. 

If there isn't anyone at 7OA that JB is crazy about I like the idea of trading the pick for  young d man with good upside that can step into the line up right now, but like others have said there would need to be a bit more protection contract wise to do it.  

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I actually like the idea of Skinner, he'd probably produce at a similar rate to Kane but with only a 2 year contract, and good trade bait in year 2 as well. 

So who do we have that they would consider an 'upgrade' for either Faulk or Skinner that we're willing to part with? Assuming Juolevi is off the table I don't see who they'd want on D from us. But maybe there's a deal for Skinner for roster pieces but I don't know enough about what Carolina needs to know who fits from our group. 

Canucks can offer multiple pieces but that isn't what they are looking for.  Dundon wants better players than the ones they have.  Canucks don't have a better player than Skinner available.  They don't have someone better than Hanifin to offer either.    

Carolina hasn't made the playoffs in nearly a decade.  Peters wanted them to trade most of their picks last draft to get upgrades - he felt the team was close but needed some better players at certain positions. 

Dundon doesn't look to be a patient owner and he probably got input from Peters who wanted a more aggressive off-season.  With his quotes it sounds like they will be trades to upgrade their roster this off-season for them to compete in the playoffs sooner than later.  

50 minutes ago, mll said:

Canucks can offer multiple pieces but that isn't what they are looking for.  Dundon wants better players than the ones they have.  Canucks don't have a better player than Skinner available.  They don't have someone better than Hanifin to offer either.    

Carolina hasn't made the playoffs in nearly a decade.  Peters wanted them to trade most of their picks last draft to get upgrades - he felt the team was close but needed some better players at certain positions. 

Dundon doesn't look to be a patient owner and he probably got input from Peters who wanted a more aggressive off-season.  With his quotes it sounds like they will be trades to upgrade their roster this off-season for them to compete in the playoffs sooner than later.  

yah its back to that again isnt it... I guess we can hope for a lopsided deal :P they happen sometimes. 

6 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I propose 

I don't want to trade a lottery first.

Considering our current situation, we wont be competing before Faulk's contract expires.

Archived