The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 1st-round draft pick's career ruined by video game addiction

According to Jeff Marek on the "31 Thoughts" podcast:

“On video games – and I’m not going to say the player’s name,” began Marek. “I really doubt he’s going to make it to the NHL and it’s because of a video game addiction. To the point where his junior general manager told me that they’ve had him go to counseling over it because he’ll play until all hours of the night and into the morning and then he’ll have no energy the next day. He’ll be a write-off. And it is that bad. He has this compulsion for playing video games until all hours."

“I swore that I wouldn’t say the player’s name. But it’s unfortunate. He’s a recent first-round draft pick for a very, very prominent NHL team – will probably never play in the NHL because of a video game addiction.”

“One thing I do know,” Friedman noted, “Is I know there are teams who will say, ‘After a certain point in the season, we don’t want those things on the road,’ and stuff like that. It’s sort of like MLB teams and golf clubs. Was there a point in the season where you told your players, ‘Okay, no more golf clubs on the road.’ And I do know of teams that have done that."

“But an addiction being the reason they haven’t made the NHL? Boy, that’ll be a heck of a story when somebody tries to do it.”

“And hopefully,” said Marek, ”And again, this is information that’s six months old. Actually, you might say a year old now. But it’s a terrible story because this guy is a good junior hockey player. This guy is a good player and was a high pick – and I’m probably saying too much right there – but there’s a good chance he’s not going to make it to the NHL and his general manager said, ‘Yeah, video game addiction is bad. It’s bad with this kid.’ “

Source: https://www.sportsnet.ca/podcasts/31-thoughts-podcast/may-17-2018-kyle-dubas-and-the-hardest-trophy-to-win-in-hockey/

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to NHL 1st-round draft pick's career ruined by video game addiction
13 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Someone on HF boards claiming it's Juolevi.

Yeah, well his "NHL team" is "very, very prominent" apparently. 

We're about two very's short at the moment... Kinda rules out Joulevi

Problematic. As someone who enjoys playing a lot of video games, it irritates me when some people can't control their priorities when it comes to gaming. Makes the rest of us gamers look bad. Any addiction can take over your life and ruin it if you let it. Hope this kid gets it under control.

42 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

huge if true. I usually take these with a grain of salt. But it does fit the description lol.

Also Juolevi had a solid season in Finland. I doubt it's him. I really hope it isn't. 

20 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Vilardi?  The guy fell a ton from where the CDC experts had him pegged.  LA certainly qualifies as a high-profile franchise.

Hopefully this is something strong mentorship can overcome.

Vilardi has DOMINATED since coming back from injury. This describes a player who has conditioning issues, and is regressing from his draft.

Juolevi sort of fits the bill from that description. But when Marek said the Junior GM said "they've had him" go to counseling, that seems to indicate a player currently in Junior. So I doubt it's him.

...And yet, this guy is probably one of many...

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Player was recently drafted and is in Junior. 2-3 years is fairly recent but not recent enough that this would not have come out sooner if it were Juolevi. Juolevi is no longer in Junior either, so I imagine, again, this would have come out before he left.  Not to mention he had a really solid couple years in Junior. I wouldn't consider Vancouver very, very prominent. Outside of our little bubble no one cares about us. Not enough to call us a very, very prominent team.

Archived