The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 1st-round draft pick's career ruined by video game addiction

12 hours ago, Tystick said:

Ilya Samsonov is my guess.

Washington Capitals' goalie prospect. Drafted 22nd overall in 2015.

He's still playing in junior (+3 draft season).

Has only been declining/neutral progress.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=180628

Since when is being a superstar in the KHL still playing junior. This is the best goalie prospect not in the NHL. Kid is unreal and caps were  able to convince him to come over and just signed him to an entry level contract. 

On 2018-05-18 at 2:07 PM, kloubek said:

It's an OPINION.  I never claimed to be an authority; please show me where I stated I was.  I just stated my belief.

The other piece here, and I'm saying this respectfully, is that opinions can be wrong.

For example, I could have the opinion that the Earth is flat (I don't, and please let's not derail the thread).. sure, I'm entitled to my opinion but that doesn't stop me from being empirically wrong...

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Playing video games or having the opportunity to make millions.... Such a tough decision what to do..... Let's keep playing video games!

Sure, make millions having to slough it out for some screaming coach in your ear, having to work out all year long. When you could also make millions, in the form of shiny golden spinning coins on your screen by just sitting on your increasingly fat a$$ in your mom's basement.  No brainer.

8 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Sure, make millions having to slough it out for some screaming coach in your ear, having to work out all year long. When you could also make millions, in the form of shiny golden spinning coins on your screen by just sitting on your increasingly fat a$$ in your mom's basement.  No brainer.

Maybe one day those golden coins will be worth real currency.... Wait the world is already transitioning to that.... Video game Cryptocurrency maybe I should start playing video games again might be worth it in this world!

On 5/18/2018 at 11:04 AM, kloubek said:

Video game addition. That's a bunch of bullcrap. Are video games fun?  Sure.  But to be ADDICTED to them?  Come on.  

I suppose a person could get "addicted" to anything.  Personally, I'm addicted to sports cars.  Doesn't mean I have to sit in one, look at one or research one at all times. 

An addition like this is a lack of self control. Nothing more. The "addition" is a cover-up for a guy simply not being interested enough in his career to put the effort in.

This is a couple days old now, but just so people have the information I wanted to say that the World Health Organization disagrees with you.

As of this year, WHO officially classifies "gaming disorder" as a disease. 

http://www.who.int/features/qa/gaming-disorder/en/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/modern-mentality/201803/world-health-organization-considers-gaming-disorder

9 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Playing video games or having the opportunity to make millions.... Such a tough decision what to do..... Let's keep playing video games!

Yeah, lets pass judgment without even reading the article while we’re at it too.

On 5/19/2018 at 5:53 AM, Brad Marchand said:

Not a huge fan of this story being released without the name of the player attached to it. If it's too sensitive to reveal publically, it shouldn't be released at all. The only thing this does is generate mass speculation about who the player is, meaning that innocent people are being dragged into this discussion without merit.

Also hoping that whomever this was is receiving or has received the proper treatment. Video game addiction is something to be taken seriously.

I know anecdotal evidence is a horrible form of "evidence" but for some of the people I knew going through this, it going public was the best thing for them.  The embarrassment helped them stop.

On 5/19/2018 at 1:05 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

meh, a non story.  A kid "addicted" to video games as defined by an "old fart" (heh, like me).

I must have played HUNDREDS of hours on games like Dragon's Age & Skyrim.  I was what you call an addict.  Didn't affect my work at all (I just threw Alf under to the bus if anything went wrong :P).

I actually might be worried if the kid didn't play any video games!

It's not about a kid playing video games for a few hours though.  It's about a kid only getting 2 hours sleep some nights and being a complete write-off the next day at training/game.

I thought it was Juolevi at first as well.  Marek talks about it as if he's talking about it from a year ago so it could fit.  I wondered if it was Dal Colle, Ho-Sang or Bellows out of NYI but none of them completely fit Marek's criteria.

On 2018/05/21 at 8:22 AM, Diamonds said:

This is a couple days old now, but just so people have the information I wanted to say that the World Health Organization disagrees with you.

As of this year, WHO officially classifies "gaming disorder" as a disease. 

http://www.who.int/features/qa/gaming-disorder/en/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/modern-mentality/201803/world-health-organization-considers-gaming-disorder

Sure but second/third hand stories of addiction are often misleading especially when we don't know if the person making the alleged comment is qualified to make that assessment. 

Playing video games late in the night is something I did every single day when I was in college.

Later when I was away from home it was the best way to connect with friends when I was thousands of km away. Due to the timezone difference I was playing at all hours of the night. Anyone who saw that could easily conclude that from the symptoms I was displaying I was an addict but I was just homesick.

There are many Europeans who come to the major junior and a disproportionate number of them are hardcore gamers. I can relate as someone who left home early in life to live in a country very different from Canada. Some people choose to use Facebook/FaceTime etc, others choose video games.

3 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Me too.

Check those guns though. They scream video game addiction

Hahahaha. His thumbs are all star material though. And that Gollumesque shade of skin he's got is another clear indicator.

His face looks like he's trying to pass a bowling ball.

Michael Dal Colle is my prediction. Islanders are a historic franchise and MDZ has not lived up to hype. Would make sense for his jr coach from before to make the statement to create seperation incase the witch hunt started. Which it has lol

Archived