The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shooting at Santa Fe, Texas, high school. 10 reported dead.

nuckin_futz

32 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

Omg

28 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

22 school shootings in 5 months. That's an average of over two per month. There is something deeply wrong with the US.

I would say it is an epidemic down. Hopefully it doesn't take military prevent or drone activity to stop this nonsense.  Issue is you can't just take the guns without a civilwar.  I'd hate to see military men doing check points at schools. That might end up happening tho at this rate.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

It looks that way. I love the country, as my mother is from MInnesota, and seeing this happen to people is horrible. The country is slowly killing itself.

I just don't understand the root cause to this stuff in the U.S. Wtf is wrong with people to target kids, what pos trash human could do that. Guns are the weapon of choice but they aren't the reason people do this cowardly garbage. This issue is centralized to the U.S you don't see this nonsense in any other industrialized Country. Hell I'm not sure you see this in a war torn third world country.

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

Is Trump and the NRA responsible for all that?

Give it up - you're just hating on Trump.

sorry but that is a very weak deflection attempt. And btw the "people" in the US, the majority of them want stricter gun laws (http://time.com/5167216/americans-gun-control-support-poll-2018/). 

Yes Trump and the NRA are responsible for the lack of new gun control legislation. The NRA buys poltiicians, either in a friendly way or by spending millions attacking opponents. Now they've probably given Trump 30 million. And to you thats not a related issue? OK then, maybe its time to agree to disagree since it appears you think theres no connection. 

20 minutes ago, Heretic said:

SMH

People have died today and your first thought is how to slag Trump?

RIP to those that have died in another senseless tragedy.

Posts like these annoy me. It's more natural to have a discussion regarding the reasons as to why this is continually allowed to happen than it is to complete ignore it because people died.

It isn't Trump alone but he and many other US politicians have a lot to answer for regarding the obvious lack of gun controls that allows this to happen on a worryingly frequent basis.

I feel for the kids.  The Parents and those crying for change that will be shouted down and told they don't understand by those who have never lost a loved one in or suffered an event like this.

But as sad as it is, the saddest part is how desensitized we all are to it. 

"the price of freedom"

"another day another school shooting" 

"Did they not have enough rocks to throw at the shooter"

"get these kids some clear backpacks"

"if everyone was armed"

Then we argue and roll on to the next massacre and do it all over again

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sorry but that is a very weak deflection attempt. And btw the "people" in the US, the majority of them want stricter gun laws (http://time.com/5167216/americans-gun-control-support-poll-2018/). 

Yes Trump and the NRA are responsible for the lack of new gun control legislation. The NRA buys poltiicians, either in a friendly way or by spending millions attacking opponents. Now they've probably given Trump 30 million. And to you thats not a related issue? OK then, maybe its time to agree to disagree since it appears you think theres no connection. 

dont even both trying to reason with that troll...i blocked her years ago.

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Again, as the NRA is a powerful lobby group who regularly opposes gun regulation, yes, they absolutely do share some of the blame. 

Its mind boggling to me that someone can't see a connection there, but I suppose that could shed some light on how some people view this in the US as well. 

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Again, as the NRA is a powerful lobby group who regularly opposes gun regulation, yes, they absolutely do share some of the blame. 

The U.S government needs to figure out why so many of it's citizens want to murder people. Maybe the U.S should stop bombing and killing people all over the world and maybe their citizens might realize it's not normal to kill.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

I just don't understand the root cause to this stuff in the U.S. Wtf is wrong with people to target kids, what pos trash human could do that. Guns are the weapon of choice but they aren't the reason people do this cowardly garbage. This issue is centralized to the U.S you don't see this nonsense in any other industrialized Country. Hell I'm not sure you see this in a war torn third world country.

I think that the easy access to guns and how embedded they are in the overall culture of the country is a contributing factor. People with the proclivity for violence and senseless retribution use guns because they enable the mass slaughter and destruction in a way that is easy to obtain.

The mental health of the people committing these atrocities is the overarching problem that seems to be swept under the rug in North America.

I can guess what the next main topic during the 2020 election cycle will be.

Guns and schools.

Democrats will use these incidents as a way to try and take down trump by playing off the fears and emotions of American families. 

The Republicans will say it's a mental health issue and the topic will just result in more physical violence with guns. I can imagine violence following both campaigns. 

Not all Americans will hand over their guns. They were told by their founding fathers it's their right and if you give up your guns history has shown your country can be corrupted and taken over.  

I personally prefer not having guns in Canada but our government is mostly kept in check by America. No Canadian prime Minister is gonna try anything shady with America there.

If the us have up their guns tho which wouldn't happen peacefully I can see it causing problems here too.  We get some pretty good perks being friends with the school yard supervisor.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

Guns and schools.

Democrats will use these incidents as a way to try and take down trump by playing off the fears and emotions of American families. 

The Republicans will say it's a mental health issue and the topic will just result in more physical violence with guns. I can imagine violence following both campaigns. 

Not all Americans will hand over their guns. They were told by their founding fathers it's their right and if you give up your guns history has shown your country can be corrupted and taken over.  

I personally prefer not having guns in Canada but our government is mostly kept in check by America. No Canadian prime Minister is gonna try anything shady with America there.

If the us have up their guns tho which wouldn't happen peacefully I can see it causing problems here too.  We get some pretty good perks being friends with the school yard supervisor.

If they want the white house they better come up with a credible solution rather than "playing off fears."

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think that the easy access to guns and how embedded they are in the overall culture of the country is a contributing factor. People with the proclivity for violence and senseless retribution use guns because they enable the mass slaughter and destruction in a way that is easy to obtain.

The mental health of the people committing these atrocities is the overarching problem that seems to be swept under the rug in North America.

when you have easy access to guns, unaffordable mental health care and 24/7 media coverage giving these nuts a platform is it really all that surprising? with a government actively working to get more guns on the street and chopping away at healthcare I see no end in sight to this. 

13 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Severely depressed kids. I'm not a psychologist, but misery loves company and there's no better way right now to do that than to light up your classroom..

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I feel for the kids.  The Parents and those crying for change that will be shouted down and told they don't understand by those who have never lost a loved one in or suffered an event like this.

But as sad as it is, the saddest part is how desensitized we all are to it. 

"the price of freedom"

"another day another school shooting" 

"Did they not have enough rocks to throw at the shooter"

"get these kids some clear backpacks"

"if everyone was armed"

Then we argue and roll on to the next massacre and do it all over again

Those poor kids are going to be tramatized.  I was just starting jr high as a 13 year old when September 11th happened. I can only imagine what it's like for these kids.  This would be terrifying as a student.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

when you have easy access to guns, unaffordable mental health care and 24/7 media coverage giving these nuts a platform is it really all that surprising? with a government actively working to get more guns on the street and chopping away at healthcare I see no end in sight to this. 

I think these for sure are two of the many reasons.

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Severely depressed kids. I'm not a psychologist, but misery loves company and there's no better way right now to do that than to light up your classroom..

It's happening in our own back yard.

Unless you have a physical handicap, there will be no EA's in the classroom for teachers.  

Kids with emotional and mental issues - too bad - no help for you.

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Those poor kids are going to be tramatized.  I was just starting jr high as a 13 year old when September 11th happened. I can only imagine what it's like for these kids.  This would be terrifying as a student.

As difficult as this is to say it's becoming normal in the U.S.

Guns and schools.

Both political parties are rife with corruption and merely spew rhetoric with no real solution to the insane epidemic of slaughter that is prevalent in the US.

Those who are responsible, mentally stable gun owners who manage their firearms properly shouldn't need to hand over anything. It's the cowboys/wannabe soldiers who feel that having a automatic weapon keeps them safe from the king of England/zombies/nation of Islam who need to have their second amendment rights revoked.

Canadians have guns, and for the most part manage just fine. There have been mass shootings here too, but nowhere near the insane level.

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

It's happening in our own back yard.

Unless you have a physical handicap, there will be no EA's in the classroom for teachers.  

Kids with emotional and mental issues - too bad - no help for you.

So over 700 billion dollars in military spending but no money to treat your own citizens?

Archived