The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shooting at Santa Fe, Texas, high school. 10 reported dead.

nuckin_futz

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Those poor kids are going to be tramatized.  I was just starting jr high as a 13 year old when September 11th happened. I can only imagine what it's like for these kids.  This would be terrifying as a student.

It's beyond sad man.  Like what else is there to say?

After Parkland the kids rallied against gun violence and literally begged, BEGGED adults to change the laws.

What happened?

US senators, congressional leaders and high profile lobbyists laughed at them and told them they don't know jack and or sh*t and to shut up.  The NRA even created a video telling them exactly that with their new wicked west of the rifle.

The only thing more traumatizing for these kids after this is being told to shut their mouths and accept it.

I'd like to point out by the way, there WAS an armed officer on site and they were injured in the attack.  So an armed trained officer did not in fact prevent this tragedy again from happening.  Lending more weight to this tragedy is that this officer will probably be derided and claims will be made that they didn't know how to do their job.

Because nobody likes their arguments to be proven stupid, so they attack the evidence

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's beyond sad man.  Like what else is there to say?

After Parkland the kids rallied against gun violence and literally begged, BEGGED adults to change the laws.

What happened?

US senators, congressional leaders and high profile lobbyists laughed at them and told them they don't know jack and or sh*t and to shut up.  The NRA even created a video telling them exactly that with their new wicked west of the rifle.

The only thing more traumatizing for these kids after this is being told to shut their mouths and accept it.

I often think about how Canada and the U.S are very similar and Canada has lots of guns yet people don't shoot up schools in Canada. You lived in the U.S what do you notice or think could be a reason behind this?

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

when you have easy access to guns, unaffordable mental health care and 24/7 media coverage giving these nuts a platform is it really all that surprising?

Not at all. Factor in a way below average education system and the country is hogtied by it's own ineptitude. The country has no real leaders, therefore it plummets into darkness. This administration has zero interest in dealing with this, merely vomiting up the same empty platitudes of "thoughts and prayers".

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

with a government actively working to get more guns on the street and chopping away at healthcare I see no end in sight to this. 

It's quite clear that the safety of the people is the lowest priority of this administration.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

I often think about how Canada and the U.S are very similar and Canada has lots of guns yet people don't shoot up schools in Canada. You lived in the U.S what do you notice or think could be a reason behind this?

It's ingrained in to their culture man.  This is a country that has literally accepted that their guns are more important than their children.  Bill Maher said "it was the price of freedom"

The NRA if I recall has a membership list less than 5% of the entire US population but controls the government via lobbying.

Between money and ignorance as well as this belief that guns will keep them safe from a government that has already screwed them there's no definitive answer.

11 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I didn’t realize shootings didn’t happen when Obama was president. Oh wait.....

15 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You lived in the U.S what do you notice or think could be a reason behind this?

See the above statement that FTG made.  This is one of the arguments people make.  Deflection from the issue.  Nobody brings up a prior administration that saw its fair share of violence yet there it is.

Why fix it now, they didn't fix it then.  The NRA did in fact spend a fortune on the last US election and is doing it again in the midterms.  The same way others spend fortunes on their chosen pony.  

Without a profound shift; there will never be a change.  You cannot educate people who believe in their divine right to do something.  It's how martyrs are made.

Edit** Just to clarify I am not attacking FTG I am only using his argument which is one i've seen before and heard numerous times.  Instead of accepting it happening they deflect the attention and therefore the argument

30 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I would say it is an epidemic down. Hopefully it doesn't take military prevent or drone activity to stop this nonsense.  Issue is you can't just take the guns without a civilwar.  I'd hate to see military men doing check points at schools. That might end up happening tho at this rate.

There’s a really good tech company called Patriot One that has been developing weapon scanners that can be placed inside door studs. It scans for firearms and other weapons as people walk through the door. This wouldn’t stop the shooting but it would be able to alert people a lot sooner.

Something like this inside a hotel like the Vegas one would have prevented that loonie from getting those weapons into the building unnoticed. And best of all you don’t even see the system so it doesn’t look like an eye soar like metal scanners do and people aren’t even aware of being scanned. 

Just now, Warhippy said:

It's ingrained in to their culture man.  This is a country that has literally accepted that their guns are more important than their children.  Bill Maher said "it was the price of freedom"

The NRA if I recall has a membership list less than 5% of the entire US population but controls the government via lobbying.

Between money and ignorance as well as this belief that guns will keep them safe from a government that has already screwed them there's no definitive answer.

Again Canada has lots of guns. My question is what is wrong with many of it's citizens that they want to use these guns against kids and people all the time.

Poor education, perpetual war for 70 years, no funding for mental health, imo those are a few factors.

I've said it before, people will use a "responsible gun owner" argument, but most responsible US owners wouldn't pass their PAL in Canada let alone their CFSC.  Guns area  right, Joe the accountant that doesn't hunt in Houston needs 27 guns without locks and ammo near by to safeguard his house from whatever.  

Criminals don't believe in gun laws.  Criminals get their guns from break ins and thefts from homes with unsecured guns, from trade shows where I can literally get a gun faster than I can get a latte at a starbucks

I mean f**k man, without a profound shift which will result in millions of gun owners doing something incredibly stupid as they believe the government is stealing their freedoms there is nothing that will happen; no change, no improvement.

The US polices the world because they claim terrorism is rampant.

But

They never police themselves.

I need to know from someone more intelligent than myself (shouldn't be hard with all these experts)

Why does the US want to end this in other countries and sends in their troops to stop this

Image result for child terrorist with gun

But they're perfectly ok with this and claim it's their right

Image result for us child with gun

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Again Canada has lots of guns. My question is what is wrong with many of it's citizens that they want to use these guns against kids and people all the time.

Poor education, perpetual war for 70 years, no funding for mental health, imo those are a few factors.

Ya know man.  It comes down to culture.  The US is a culture of violent arrogance.  Look at a US president that is threatening the entire EU over the Iran deal.  That has a UN delegate that promises to take names of countries that do not vote the US way.

We have a country where we teach our kids the same safeties.  But we never pull our guns out for more than hunting.  We don't have a culture that needs near fully automatic weapons because of a belief in our right to own them simply because they exist.

It's so damned sad

Just now, Warhippy said:

See the above statement that FTG made.  This is one of the arguments people make.  Deflection from the issue.  Nobody brings up a prior administration that saw its fair share of violence yet there it is.

Haha you are the king of bringing up the past govt. THAT’S ALL YOU DO in arguements. 

Theres no deflection it was a response to someone one blaming the current govt for this happening. As far as I know shootings didnt start as soon as trump became president so blaming him as the cause is just pure idiocy.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Who said that?

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not at all. Factor in a way below average education system and the country is hogtied by it's own ineptitude. The country has no real leaders, therefore it plummets into darkness. This administration has zero interest in dealing with this, merely vomiting up the same empty platitudes of "thoughts and prayers".

It's quite clear that the safety of the people is the lowest priority of this administration.

yup. those political donations are just more important. Obama actually had a majority of senators for his bill, but couldn't survive the republicans filibustering it. Why? bought and paid for senators for the NRA. I guess I can pray that the NRA implode on itself if it gets caught with the shady donations. 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

There’s a really good tech company called Patriot One that has been developing weapon scanners that can be placed inside door studs. It scans for firearms and other weapons as people walk through the door. This wouldn’t stop the shooting but it would be able to alert people a lot sooner.

It's just seems crazy that a first world country, in fact the richest nation on earth would have to do this. That being said I guess what ever keeps these kids safe should be implemented. It just sure says a lot about a culture that implementations like this are what keeps kids and people safe in a first world country.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Ya know man.  It comes down to culture.  The US is a culture of violent arrogance.  Look at a US president that is threatening the entire EU over the Iran deal.  That has a UN delegate that promises to take names of countries that do not vote the US way.

We have a country where we teach our kids the same safeties.  But we never pull our guns out for more than hunting.  We don't have a culture that needs near fully automatic weapons because of a belief in our right to own them simply because they exist.

It's so damned sad

Ya a severe cultural problem I agree with that also.

22 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

If they want the white house they better come up with a credible solution rather than "playing off fears."

Take away the guns has always been their m.o. I suspect that doesn't change only issue is there is a large population including organized militia groups that have sworn to keep guns and prevent those who attempt to take them. 

The best bet might be restriction zones for carrying. In big cities restrict all non handguns in conceal/open carry. Make them need to put other weapons in lock boxes with trigger locks like they do in Canada. 

Make it a if u do not follow these rules police can seize your weapons.  Some gun nuts might accept that.  If they can keep their side arm. I think the solution needs to come from the NRA/gun lovers.

Any restrictions put forth by the Democrats will be shut down immediately. If it comes from their base it might be more accepted. No one needs more then a handgun in highly populated city or area.

How do you address school's tho?  Military. That would be freightning and you don't want kids growing up use to armed military in their schools.

Archived