The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

94 & 2011 SCF Run

Nucks89

If someone told you ahead of time they would lose in game 7 of the SCF, would you have preferred the Canucks lost to Calgary & the Hawks in the first round respectively?

A fan will say that seeing their team win playoff games is memorable. Another will say it's too heartbreaking.

You?

Nobody likes to lose - so I can't answer that question.

Was different in the Canucks 1982 Finals.  We never stood a chance against that LEGIT HHOF stacked team in their prime (*AND* we were missing our best player & Captain - Kevin McCarthy).

Never want to lose against Calgary and if you actually remember how that Hawks series went down it would be the worst series loss in Canucks history and would have stained the franchise for years to come. We gave up a commanding series lead and blew the lead in game 7 on a SHORTHANDED goal with like a minute left. The only reason that Toews goal isn't a legendary hockey meme is because of Burrows. So no, I'll take the Finals losses.

Slaying the Dragon was a massive moment, it would have been far more deflating losing AGAIN to that team. So many moments would be gone if our run had ended there. If they told me before hand we'd lose in game 7 of the finals I'd say "F it, I wanna see it play out". Losing earlier doesn't make losing feel any less painful. Just painful in different ways. Then we become the Washington Capitals, can't escape the first 2 rounds. Not any better than being one game away from winning it all. IMO anyway. 

10 hours ago, Nucks89 said:

If someone told you ahead of time they would lose in game 7 of the SCF, would you have preferred the Canucks lost to Calgary & the Hawks in the first round respectively?

A fan will say that seeing their team win playoff games is memorable. Another will say it's too heartbreaking.

You?

So if someone told me we would lose in the SCF, and he could somehow prove it ahead of time, I'd have more important things to do, like ask God some questions, or check out the time machine.

That said I thought this was going to be a thread about what run was better or what team would win a seven game series against each other?  That's easy 94 was a better run because it was unexpected, the 2011 team was a better team but would have lost to the 94 team because I liked them more.

49 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

I am a Canucks fan BECAUSE of that 94 run. Wouldn't change it for anything.

Plus once you've been through it once, the second time isn't as bad.  And you could see the signs ahead of time (Rome hit, Luongos long walks on the beach by himself looking for Thomas's tires to pump, drawing Boston instead of TB,  other Canadians across the country were cheering for Boston helping the NHLs dialogue on who they wanted the win for, Bettmans best pal JJacobs, the reffing was fine (or was it?) we got our PPs, T Thomas wasn't letting a pea in).  As a bonus we got to see Babych do pre-game talks at least.

It still sucked.  Being up 3-2 was something we've never done before, blame Gillis for cracking champagne early.

Hindsight being what it is, I wouldn't change the '94 run because that was so much fun, so unexpected, and we were oh so close. The guys on that team left everything they had and then some out on the ice; they all put on heroic performances throughout and will always be heroes to long-time fans.

The 2011 run however, I wish Sharp had scored. Yes there were some great moments during those playoffs but ultimately we were the favorite, we had the 2-0 lead in the final, aaaaand we lost the cup in a blowout on home ice.

I still believe that had we completed the "reverse sweep" against Chicago, then the necessary changes (and non-changes) would've been made for the following year that would allow us to beat LA and cruise to the cup the way they ended up doing. Instead though we've got all those "great" memories of plodding through 3 of the 4 rounds of playoffs with no payoff at the end, just embarrassment. 

Basically I'd trade a reverse-sweep one year for a cup the next. Boston did it.

94 I enjoyed a lot. 2011 made me want to stop watching hockey.  So no to 94 yes to 2011. I love the Canucks but pretty much hated the last core with a few exceptions.

In both cases management made pretty much all the wrong moves after the finals defeat and made a repeat chance pretty much imposable both times.

35 minutes ago, thrago said:

In both cases management made pretty much all the wrong moves after the finals defeat and made a repeat chance pretty much imposable both times.

IMHO, more of a case of an elbow to the head of your leading goal scoring by a puke named Duncan Keith in 2012.

The Bruins were quite literally getting away with murder on the ice.  When Raymond had his back broken by Chara, headlocked and rammed into the boards, nothing happened, I knew the series was over right there.  7uongo, Hamhuis going down, the completely unfair suspension to Rome aside, we got good and bent over by the NHL mafia.

1994 was my original heartbreak in sports.  I was 5 and I was crushed.  2011 I was heartbroken but also very very angry.  The 2011 finals rile me up to this day if I really get in to a discussion about it.  

But I would NEVER wish those memories away.  The runs up to those game 7's were some of the best times of my life! They were reminders of why I love hockey.  The draft and off-season isn't actually supposed to be the fun part.  We have forgotten in Vancouver 

On 19/05/2018 at 9:33 AM, Riviera82 said:

I still believe that had we completed the "reverse sweep" against Chicago, then the necessary changes (and non-changes) would've been made for the following year that would allow us to beat LA and cruise to the cup the way they ended up doing.

Dude if we lost to Chicago again after giving up a shorthanded goal with 1:56 left in game 7 there wouldn't have been a run the next year, the entire core would have been gone. You could argue that may have been the best move in the very long run, but we'd probably just be getting back into contention now.

Archived