The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey News Draft preview

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t Kotkaniemi the top ranked center?  

Depends who you talk to, Veleno? He was up until the Finn had a strong W18's? Heyton??

Its not a great year for C's.  

Which does not mean you should overpay for one...

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

Depends who you talk to, Veleno? He was up until the Finn had a strong W18's? Heyton??

Its not a great year for C's.  

Which does not mean you should overpay for one...

Regardless, we will get one of Hughes, Boqvist, Dobson, or Bouchard no matter what happens.  That mean we get a very good D prospect.  But, if a team does go off board above us, then likely JB has three of these guys to choose from rather than two.  

I think there is a real key here for CDC in our discussions of who we should take, and that is that at this point after Dahlin and Svechnikov, it is a pretty flat draft 3 through 9

Which means to me, that a GM can pick either a gem or a dud, because they are so close together in rankings (hopefully all gems, then we can't miss)

I think this draft will be a very difficult draft for GM's to be certain of their pick........

Can/Will you blame him if he is the Dud?

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Hodgson was voted the OHL's best defensive forward.  

It does not mean his skills & athleticism were going to translate into being a great defensive forward in the NHL.  Power, speed, balance, agility, coordination, puck dexterity, vision, shot...

Perhaps I should have continued the recommendation on Bouchard to include: His passing ability, his shot and overall offensive skill (after all, he was second in total points for the OHL, for draft eligible players...all players...to Wahlstrom), his vision with his ability to find the open man on a long lead pass, his ability to join a break out, and though not quite as fast as say, Dobson, he has enough to cover plenty of ground, and his ability to "slow" the game down (quoting from SB Nation). He also knows what his weaknesses are, and that he knows they will need to be worked on; a little maturity coming through there.

I'm well aware of what happened with Cody Hodgson. I think some people (not just Gillis) did not put enough emphasis on Hodgson's lack of speed. If Hodgson had been drafted late in the first round, or maybe the second, he wouldn't have been considered such a bust. I also think they got rid of him before they should have. He was coming on in his one season, and could have been a useful forward, provided they gave him a winger or two with speed. I also think his back injury may have hampered him more than anyone knows. Having suffered a back injury myself, it can take years to get back to full speed...if ever. That's just opinion, though.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t Kotkaniemi the top ranked center?  

Well, more and more, people are talking about Wahlstrom as a center. I believe he even mentioned it himself. The kid likes to shoot a lot though so I still think wing is his natural position. Btw, I've even read a few people say that Tkachuk may play center so take it fwiw.

9 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i'm hoping they take a d-man because next year, here is only one d-man rated in the top ten picks. that could change though. 

D-Men are BORRRRRING.... takes years and years .... Juolevi will be great for my grandkids.... or not!

Come on take TBA who is NHL ready .... we need help before I kick the bucket.... Canucks fan since before the ice-age but OMG lets get a team that can win soon!

49 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

D-Men are BORRRRRING.... takes years and years .... Juolevi will be great for my grandkids.... or not!

Come on take TBA who is NHL ready .... we need help before I kick the bucket.... Canucks fan since before the ice-age but OMG lets get a team that can win soon!

49 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

so, your saying the team should just play 5 forwards? the only way you get elite d-men is to draft them or trade your future for them. relax grampa, building a new core takes time. no wound did ever heal but by degree. instant stanley cups are only for teams like vegas. canuck fans have proved that they can't handle a rebuild. 

Some huge sleeper picks after the first 5 spots. Maybe consider trading down to 10 or 11 and pick up a high second rounder around 40th overall. 

Theres really no conscensus after top two, so there’s gonna be a lot of variation in who teams actually end up taking. But if a team covets a player at 7 and the players we covetem early  didn’t slip through to us we should really consider taking that chance and trade down.

A lot players  at our spot are interchangeable, and since our team  has many needs we should take the extra pick and up our odds. I remember Jim wanting to make a deal with Vegas to move up one spot, which didn’t materialize but have faith in Jimmy to explore his options.

A player like Farabee LW, Kotkaniemi C, Wild D will be a great picks in the 10-12 range. 

The next part was getting the player they wanted at the draft where there was speculation Pettersson could drift out of the top ten. The Canucks tried to take advantage and looked to trade down for extra draft picks.

“I talked to (George) McPhee about moving down from five to six, if we could get a pick,” Vancouver GM Jim Benning said. “I talked to (Buffalo GM Jason) Botterill and the Rangers about moving down to seven or eight.

“But I wanted to make sure we got Pettersson. As soon as I got the inkling that if we traded too far down we weren’t going to get him, I decided to make the pick.”

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-top-prospects-no-1-elias-pettersson

Archived