The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where are we now?

Primal Optimist

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Well, with the current players including prospects in the system we are no where near being a contender. This team needs a lot more at every position. Still looking for future 1C and future 1D. Once we get those players in the system it'll take years to develop them. 

Not all prospects work out. Some won't meet expectations and some won't even make the NHL. Three years ago many people on these boards thought this would be a Cup contending team by now. Now they think we'll be a Cup contender in 2 or 3 years from now. But the reality is different. 

One needs to look at the teams playing in the final 4 playoffs and look at how much talent and depth those teams have. then look at the Canucks and realize it will take many many years for this team to acquire that talent depth and develop it and build a team around it. 

If things go right in terms of drafting and development and winning some trades and signing UFA's we should be a playoff team in 4 years. 

Often you need some luck (and I mean good luck not bad luck).  I don't know about you but I think time the Canucks experienced some good luck.

Where are we now?

The Positives:

A couple of great young forwards in EP & Brock.

A really good 2nd C or meh 1st C in Horvat, possible captain candidate 

A great looking goalie prospect

Lots of other prospects that you need for your 2nd, 3rd, 4th lines

The Negatives:

Awful D with only 1 good D prospect

Two backup goalies

Most forwards & defenders can't score

Team is built small with average speed

No extra picks during a rebuild/retool

Some of the young forwards should/could make strides to put up some points that the Sedins were putting up.  The D and goaltending can't really get any worse so should be as good or better next season.  So where are we NOW?  Still a bad team with lots of forward prospects.  

20 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Often you need some luck (and I mean good luck not bad luck).  I don't know about you but I think time the Canucks experienced some good luck.

Luck being the intersection of preparation and opportunity!

14 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Where are we now?

The Positives:

The Negatives:

Two backup goalies

Some of the young forwards should/could make strides to put up some points that the Sedins were putting up.  The D and goaltending can't really get any worse so should be as good or better next season.  So where are we NOW?  Still a bad team with lots of forward prospects.  

SPeaking about "young players" that I am excited about I think we have some good blocks to build with. Generally cutting off at age 28, I like these 'kids'

Horvat ought to be in the top six and probably a good 2nd line C for a long long time

Gagner will be great on the third for years to come, 

Brock seems top flight so far

Leipsic on the left wing works for me on the 2nd line

Virtanen can hold his own on da turd rw

Granlund is a sweet utility player up and down the lines as needed

Baertshci is fair middle left winger right?

Gadjovich looked nice at the world juniors, good LW up and coming. 

ON D in the 'youth' end of the pool..

Tanev, Gudbranson, MDZ, Hutton Stecher and I can't wait for Juolevi...are all young and decent, but I could see swinging for the best available puck moving offensive Dman either first round pick in the draft or by trade or FA...someone in the 28 29 range, maybe a tad younger. Fast is the key...we want kids with footspeed. 

In net I am pretty happy for now, after way too many years of High Priced netminders I am cool with Markstrom/Nilsson combo for just over 6million combined. Demko in the minors and for injury callups is cool with me for now while he matures. 

In short, I feel like we have around 15 young guys that I like to think are very good young NHL players. Maybe 17 with some lucky big early steps coming into main camp out of rookie camp this coming fall....so what do we have to compliment them? 

Brendon Sutter: you may not like him but I really do when thought of in his value setting at 4.375 million a year. HHe could be traded this coming season as he can submit a list of 15 teams NOT to go to and that leaves 15 he WILL go to if the Nucks decide to move him, but lets face it: i hope they don't Generally we can count on him to score 15 goals and 15 assists year in and year out...I would like to have that skill and he is a guy who will get better results with better players around him and I see sunny ways ahead where we will have better players around him. Besides, with that list provided of where he would refuse to go; we can trade him any time we need to...deadline of either of the two years coming..prefer a season and a half from now. 

Loui Eriksson may never be a 30g 30a player again...he only hit it once but in his defence, we are judging him now based on two injury reduced seasons and his new status as the highest paid player on the team. HIs NTC doesn't go to modified status until 20-21 season and that is the year we may consider asking him to telll us what 15 teams he doesn't wanna go to. Until then, he is from one of the top three best places on earth to be from: Gothenburg Sweden! If you can't be Canadian or Finn, you best be from West Goth Land. : ) (*yup my Canadian family is of Finish heritage and originally from the old family farm in Sweden. even have a cousin from there whooping it up in the NHL now so that is my proof of theory, lol)   SO he had ten points in nine strait games in November...if he can find the consistency and stay healthy we have a sweet winger there, at least until 20-21 so lets hope for health and points will follow. 

EDLER is here under a 5m cap hit contract for next year. Will he waive his NTC either in the offseason or at the deadline? I don't know but he ought to be asked to. I like what he has done here, and I think he is a good player, but he isn't worthy of being our highest paid Dman. Not the heir we were looking for to Jovo/Salo/Bieksa, am i right? Ask him to waive and trade to contender maybe...or if he walks a tthe end of the next season let him.but hopefully a waive of clauses and trade. Setting us up for better bigger and possibly post season action by 2019-2020!

I would keep Alex Biega on D as he is competent at 30 years old and inexpensive...permanent 8th Dman for a few years to come and a good place holder while we continue to build depth.

Gaunce can be bundled i presume and moved along unless we are simply short on bodies, but he doesn't look to me like he has any potential to be an impact player which we need way more than we need 24 year old former first rounder who signed his ELC 6 years ago and had one decent year in the AHL with 38 points and that was 3 seasons ago.

Dorsett is strictly a placeholder for me, and I know this sounds harsh, sorry if your a fan or family member: compared to me he is awesome, compared to where we want our club to be he is just filling a slot until someone better can be put into that slot. I know I am right on the money and we don't need or want his PLM's...and yes I am aware of the debate about enforcers...i am all for organic fighting in the NHL don't get me wrong, but a paid pugilist is a waste of a slot..every player should be Bieksa Tough and drop their own mitts...it ain't like we have a McAuston Dahlosby on the club right now, or will have anytime soon. Next guy who gets rabbit punched 4 times and doesn't hit back is fired!

I need to see Gaudette more, as I can't judge what I don't know: just being honest. Came out of the fifth round and three years of University to play 5games with no stats and I didn't notice him enough to recall right now...maybe a guy i will be happy to notice next year? Good luck in camp.

In the end, I see roughly 19 guys that I would love to be the team next year..and as already noted a huge amount of cap space to hire 4 more. Maybe one will come NHL ready from the draft, but not likely, so what can you buy for 22 million? If two of those four are value players you can buy a top end forward and a top end Dman and basically pay them top dollar each. 

THAT means possibilities this coming year and a sweet sweet spot to be in a year and a half. ; )

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, Primal Optimist said:

Luck being the intersection of preparation and opportunity!

SPeaking about "young players" that I am excited about I think we have some good blocks to build with. Generally cutting off at age 28, I like these 'kids'

Horvat ought to be in the top six and probably a good 2nd line C for a long long time

Gagner will be great on the third for years to come, 

Brock seems top flight so far

Leipsic on the left wing works for me on the 2nd line

Virtanen can hold his own on da turd rw

Granlund is a sweet utility player up and down the lines as needed

Baertshci is fair middle left winger right?

Gadjovich looked nice at the world juniors, good LW up and coming. 

ON D in the 'youth' end of the pool..

Tanev, Gudbranson, MDZ, Hutton Stecher and I can't wait for Juolevi...are all young and decent, but I could see swinging for the best available puck moving offensive Dman either first round pick in the draft or by trade or FA...someone in the 28 29 range, maybe a tad younger. Fast is the key...we want kids with footspeed. 

In net I am pretty happy for now, after way too many years of High Priced netminders I am cool with Markstrom/Nilsson combo for just over 6million combined. Demko in the minors and for injury callups is cool with me for now while he matures. 

In short, I feel like we have around 15 young guys that I like to think are very good young NHL players. Maybe 17 with some lucky big early steps coming into main camp out of rookie camp this coming fall....so what do we have to compliment them? 

Brendon Sutter: you may not like him but I really do when thought of in his value setting at 4.375 million a year. HHe could be traded this coming season as he can submit a list of 15 teams NOT to go to and that leaves 15 he WILL go to if the Nucks decide to move him, but lets face it: i hope they don't Generally we can count on him to score 15 goals and 15 assists year in and year out...I would like to have that skill and he is a guy who will get better results with better players around him and I see sunny ways ahead where we will have better players around him. Besides, with that list provided of where he would refuse to go; we can trade him any time we need to...deadline of either of the two years coming..prefer a season and a half from now. 

Loui Eriksson may never be a 30g 30a player again...he only hit it once but in his defence, we are judging him now based on two injury reduced seasons and his new status as the highest paid player on the team. HIs NTC doesn't go to modified status until 20-21 season and that is the year we may consider asking him to telll us what 15 teams he doesn't wanna go to. Until then, he is from one of the top three best places on earth to be from: Gothenburg Sweden! If you can't be Canadian or Finn, you best be from West Goth Land. : ) (*yup my Canadian family is of Finish heritage and originally from the old family farm in Sweden. even have a cousin from there whooping it up in the NHL now so that is my proof of theory, lol)   SO he had ten points in nine strait games in November...if he can find the consistency and stay healthy we have a sweet winger there, at least until 20-21 so lets hope for health and points will follow. 

EDLER is here under a 5m cap hit contract for next year. Will he waive his NTC either in the offseason or at the deadline? I don't know but he ought to be asked to. I like what he has done here, and I think he is a good player, but he isn't worthy of being our highest paid Dman. Not the heir we were looking for to Jovo/Salo/Bieksa, am i right? Ask him to waive and trade to contender maybe...or if he walks a tthe end of the next season let him.but hopefully a waive of clauses and trade. Setting us up for better bigger and possibly post season action by 2019-2020!

I would keep Alex Biega on D as he is competent at 30 years old and inexpensive...permanent 8th Dman for a few years to come and a good place holder while we continue to build depth.

Gaunce can be bundled i presume and moved along unless we are simply short on bodies, but he doesn't look to me like he has any potential to be an impact player which we need way more than we need 24 year old former first rounder who signed his ELC 6 years ago and had one decent year in the AHL with 38 points and that was 3 seasons ago.

Dorsett is strictly a placeholder for me, and I know this sounds harsh, sorry if your a fan or family member: compared to me he is awesome, compared to where we want our club to be he is just filling a slot until someone better can be put into that slot. I know I am right on the money and we don't need or want his PLM's...and yes I am aware of the debate about enforcers...i am all for organic fighting in the NHL don't get me wrong, but a paid pugilist is a waste of a slot..every player should be Bieksa Tough and drop their own mitts...it ain't like we have a McAuston Dahlosby on the club right now, or will have anytime soon. Next guy who gets rabbit punched 4 times and doesn't hit back is fired!

I need to see Gaudette more, as I can't judge what I don't know: just being honest. Came out of the fifth round and three years of University to play 5games with no stats and I didn't notice him enough to recall right now...maybe a guy i will be happy to notice next year? Good luck in camp.

In the end, I see roughly 19 guys that I would love to be the team next year..and as already noted a huge amount of cap space to hire 4 more. Maybe one will come NHL ready from the draft, but not likely, so what can you buy for 22 million? If two of those four are value players you can buy a top end forward and a top end Dman and basically pay them top dollar each. 

THAT means possibilities this coming year and a sweet sweet spot to be in a year and a half. ; )

Wow,now that's a dream, very vivid, still just another hope.

3 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Wow,now that's a dream, very vivid, still just another hope.

Yeah. It is sports entertainment after all. lol...i have been to the desert in uniform and all over the world my friend, cdc is in and of itself a dream, one I am glad we have to share. 

: )

we do agree, don't get me wrong. 

Where are we?  Half way through the rebuild.

The tough news I think is that we'll have to be even more patient because there is a lot of player development to be done.

A few of the top pieces are missing.  This year, I would hope that a top pair RHD could be found.  And next, a top line LW.

I know it's boring but other than that, it's carry on and business as usual.

By and large, I'm happy with what Benning has done.  I think they wasted a year in the beginning trying to give the Sedins another shot at a playoff run but that comes down to ownership.  There are decent prospects in all the important positions.  The core is looking like:

1. Top C - Horvat
  2. Top C - Pettersson
  3. Sniper - Boeser
  4. Top D - Juolevi
  5. Top D - 7th OA 2018
  6. Goalie - Demko

Add to that list developing players: Lind, Gadjovich, Gaudette, Virtanen, Dahlen, Stecher, Pouliot, Briesbois, Chatfield

And useful support players:  Sutter, Baertschi, Granlund, Gudbranson

This coming season I expect to be a struggle at the beginning and a slow improvement.  It always depends on health.  I think we have to wait until 2019-20 to see any real improvement and a realistic shot at a playoff spot.  2021-22 we'll have a team.

I think that a possible UFA or two aside that we are going to struggle to put up the points next season with the Sedims gone. I think we will see small but solid development on our top line and I do think at least a couple of guys will surprise us with better than expected seasons... Either a young guy or even a resurgent season by Eriksson and/or Granlund. There is a posibility a guy like Demko or Pettersson could make the team and step up.  Gaudette needs a full year under his belt and will be interesting to watch.  Keeping a close eye on Virtanen as well. Oh... And hopefully Tanev isnt out long term.

Goimg forward, I feel we could use another star in our top 6, and some size and grit in our bottom 9.  Overall though, I'm happy with the prospect cupboard we have for forwards.

D is another story.  We need to go hard after a pmd in UFA, as well as draft well with our 7th.  Our goaltending os mediocre at best so we really need Demko to get to the NHL level. 

I figure all this will be at least close to resolved by end of next season or early the following season maybe.  

Add in a year or two more for guys to hit their peaks and add a couple more draft picks and I predict a serious playoff contending team in 2-3 years.

21 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Where are we?  Half way through the rebuild.

The tough news I think is that we'll have to be even more patient because there is a lot of player development to be done.

A few of the top pieces are missing.  This year, I would hope that a top pair RHD could be found.  And next, a top line LW.

I know it's boring but other than that, it's carry on and business as usual.

By and large, I'm happy with what Benning has done.  I think they wasted a year in the beginning trying to give the Sedins another shot at a playoff run but that comes down to ownership.  There are decent prospects in all the important positions.  The core is looking like:

1. Top C - Horvat
  2. Top C - Pettersson
  3. Sniper - Boeser
  4. Top D - Juolevi
  5. Top D - 7th OA 2018
  6. Goalie - Demko

Add to that list developing players: Lind, Gadjovich, Gaudette, Virtanen, Dahlen, Stecher, Pouliot, Briesbois, Chatfield

And useful support players:  Sutter, Baertschi, Granlund, Gudbranson

This coming season I expect to be a struggle at the beginning and a slow improvement.  It always depends on health.  I think we have to wait until 2019-20 to see any real improvement and a realistic shot at a playoff spot.  2021-22 we'll have a team.

Just to be contentious,

1. Horvat

2. Draft pick and not signed yet but probable in the next 2 years.

3. Boeser

4. Briesbois, signed and played the same number of NHL games as OJ but he is in the Canucks development system.

5. ?

6. Demko

Considering only two players on the list have more than 30 games in, I think "half way" is tremendously optimistic.

But hey, all the players in the post could make the team.

The Canucks are definitely more interesting to watch or follow now that the Sedins are gone. 

The team will be no better or worse of a product on the ice. The difference will come down to the health factor. Even then, the Canucks will probably still end up drafting 7-16 next season, at best. 

The D is slow, small, soft, can’t shoot and can’t defend well enough to expect much improvement from the unreliable goaltending Vancouver has accumulated.

The emerging forwards are generally small, but have a nice blend of skills to compliment the Foundational players, like Sutter, with. 

The Canucks are too good to be the the worst, but too bad to expect any success from, especially when Canucks Luck is factored in. My fear is that they become the next Calgary Flames by having early success from young players that keep them from drafting the can’t-miss impact players that got them into their present state in the first place. I fear the Canucks will peak too early and the rebuild will look more like Toronto’s minus the Lottery Luck, that way.

Anything can happen, but I expect nothing to change as far as the standings go, but the entertainment value will greatly improved with folks like Lip stick in the ranks. 

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Just to be contentious,

1. Horvat

2. Draft pick and not signed yet but probable in the next 2 years.

3. Boeser

4. Briesbois, signed and played the same number of NHL games as OJ but he is in the Canucks development system.

5. ?

6. Demko

Considering only two players on the list have more than 30 games in, I think "half way" is tremendously optimistic.

But hey, all the players in the post could make the team.

I did say there is a lot of development to be done.

The core as I have listed it is potential.  Or projected by me.  Granted.

I also said that there are 2 important pieces left to be drafted but in terms of time, we are 5 years along after Horvat was drafted and I project that the Canucks could be a playoff contender in 3 years.

I'm an optomist.  Guilty.  But I don't think this is unrealisitc either

32 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I did say there is a lot of development to be done.

The core as I have listed it is potential.  Or projected by me.  Granted.

I also said that there are 2 important pieces left to be drafted but in terms of time, we are 5 years along after Horvat was drafted and I project that the Canucks could be a playoff contender in 3 years.

I'm an optomist.  Guilty.  But I don't think this is unrealisitc either

I was just yanking your chain, all in fun.

The idea that the Nucks could be in the playoffs in 3 years, if they play in year 3, shouldn't be in too much doubt, they will only have to compete with three teams for the 3rd divisional playoff spot in all likelihood. LA and ANA will be in rebuild/tank mode, ARI, well they are Arizona, SJ could be retooling then that leaves 3 teams competing for the #3 division spot. They just have to better than two of those.

Making the playoffs is not such a big deal, half the teams in the league make them, not making them is a big deal though.

An issue may be deciding "core" players on this team, IMO it is going to be on going process for the next 5 + years, players on this team now that might be considered "core" just aren't good enough, this IS the worst team in the league over the last 3 years, well maybe Buffalo squeezes the team out by 2 points, but as far as forwards go Horvat is for sure with Boeser very much most likely. On defence......well there just isn't much there, right now there is Edler and Tanev, that's it.

People who concentrate on the team player-by-player using projected stats etc. forget it is a team sport.   One of this years' SCF teams has a first line made up of:

- one player, Reilly Smith, is 27, a third round pick and who until this year averaged a career 0.51 ppg (for some compare to players people feel are not legit NHL first liners... Baer's career to date is 0.47 ppg, Horvat 0.55 and Loui Eriksson is 0.66 ppg)

- next one is also 27 years old, Jonathan Marchessault.   His first full year in the NHL didn't come until he was 26 years old....26!   Notice to Juolevi and Virtanen bashers, giving up on kids at 19/20/21 or even several years afterwards is so incredibly short-sited if the talent is there.   Anyway, back to Marchessault who entered this year with a very respectable 0.56 points per game...not as good as, say, Loui Eriksson's career average, but clearly all could see he was a first line star in making for a SCF team.   Right?

- final member of this top line is William Karlsson who is 25 years old and last year scored 6 goals in the NHL during the regular season to set his career numbers to 0.27 ppg (Alex Edler career to date is 0.44 ppg....).    Clearly all saw a potential Rocket Richard winner in this guy.

Points are simple:

- be patient with players ... look at age of emergence for these players

- hockey is a TEAM GAME.    The whole can be much greater than the sum of the parts.    Edmonton proved this past year decade the opposite can also be true.

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

People who concentrate on the team player-by-player using projected stats etc. forget it is a team sport.   One of this years' SCF teams has a first line made up of:

- one player, Reilly Smith, is 27, a third round pick and who until this year averaged a career 0.51 ppg (for some compare to players people feel are not legit NHL first liners... Baer's career to date is 0.47 ppg, Horvat 0.55 and Loui Eriksson is 0.66 ppg)

- next one is also 27 years old, Jonathan Marchessault.   His first full year in the NHL didn't come until he was 26 years old....26!   Notice to Juolevi and Virtanen bashers, giving up on kids at 19/20/21 or even several years afterwards is so incredibly short-sited if the talent is there.   Anyway, back to Marchessault who entered this year with a very respectable 0.56 points per game...not as good as, say, Loui Eriksson's career average, but clearly all could see he was a first line star in making for a SCF team.   Right?

- final member of this top line is William Karlsson who is 25 years old and last year scored 6 goals in the NHL during the regular season to set his career numbers to 0.27 ppg (Alex Edler career to date is 0.44 ppg....).    Clearly all saw a potential Rocket Richard winner in this guy.

Points are simple:

- hockey is a TEAM GAME.    The whole can be much greater than the sum of the parts.    Edmonton proved this past year decade the opposite can also be true.

Patience? What are you thinking? Results now!

14 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Points are simple:

Nice one, Cheers 

I didn't know where to post this, didn't see a "Canucks UFA/RFA" thread.

Is this correct?

UFA

Megna

Dowd

Bachman

Jokinen

Archibald

Weircioch

Gartieg

RFA

Pouliot

Molino

Virtanen

Boucher

Chaput

Baertschi

Stecher

Cassels

Granlund

Labate

Unsigned

MacEwen

Juolevi

Brisebois

Looks like Benning and Co. have a lot of work to do, in addition to the Draft.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 11:05 AM, NUCKER67 said:

I didn't know where to post this, didn't see a "Canucks UFA/RFA" thread.

Is this correct?

UFA

Megna

Dowd

Bachman

Jokinen

Archibald

Weircioch

Gartieg

RFA

Pouliot

Molino

Virtanen

Boucher

Chaput

Baertschi

Stecher

Cassels

Granlund

Labate

Unsigned

MacEwen

Juolevi

Brisebois

Looks like Benning and Co. have a lot of work to do, in addition to the Draft.

My oh my, there is a lot of dead weight in those lists. The ones who I would prioritize out of this bunch are Archibald, Labate, Virtanen, MacEwen, Brisebois and Juolevi. The others should be prepared to take discounts or take a hike in my opinion.

On 2018-05-22 at 1:20 PM, Primal Optimist said:

Do you mean the idea of DD?

On 5/21/2018 at 9:34 PM, CanadianRugby said:

Where are we now?

The Positives:

The Negatives:

Two backup goalies

They were pretty much same as SC finalist Vegas, much bigger than Tampa and even bigger than the Bruins.   The perceptions is Canucks are small - they are not.   They are also not slow.   What they are, with Sedins retired now, is young.    That can change with a few signings but they will be one of younger teams next year unless they make some signings.    They do struggle to score but their "awful" D wasn't as bad as many think - when their top 4 was actually together, and it wasn't nearly enough, they had a playoff point pace.    Now they need to do that for more than 30ish games.Screen-Shot-2018-01-11-at-10.50.28-PM.png

Archived