The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Marian Hossa announces retirement

8 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

BS loop hole that helped chicago sign him for less and contribute to all their cups.

Sad excuse from Hossa to mysteriously get an allergy to equipment after what 30 years of putting it on!!??

More like he doesn't want to risk injury, while only earning 1m in salary to finish his deal.

Canucks better not get hosed if Luongo retires early. Guess he will just have to take a page from Hossa and claim equipment rash...

Solid 2 way player tho that Hossa, going to HHoF one day, very good career

You're speaking too soon right now.  A year from now when injuries have ravaged Luongo he will go on LTIR and we will gladly pay him whatever it takes for our cap to remain intact.

On 2018-05-19 at 10:38 AM, Fanuck said:

Lol, seriously what do teams like Chi and LA have on the NHL that allows them to flagrantly flaunt their manipulation of the system in their faces with impuity?

I thought it was well documented that the guy has been hurt or playing hurt most of this decade. I don’t think it takes much to account for his assignment to the LTIR.

In this instance, I don’t think we can call this one greasy. 

one of the best two way forwards never to win the selke

the only reason Jari Kurri and Hossa haven't won the selke because the era they played had stupid unwritten rules . Kurri, because it wasn't fashionable during the 80s to give the award to the offensive stars and Hossa, because for some reason they decided to exclude the wingers after the 04-05 lockout which is total bs

the only blackhawk player i can call my personal favorite. have a great retirement, you deserved it.

• 8 months later...

Marian Hossa opened up about his equipment allergy.  It started some 6 years ago and everyone on the Blackhawks were aware of the situation - it was visible all over his body.  They allowed him to skip practice so he wouldn't have to wear his equipment because the situation was that bad.  They found a drug that could help but it has life altering consequences where he had to get tested every 2 weeks.

Excerpt - it's behind a paywall:

At first, the skin’s reaction was frustrating and mildly irritating, but Hossa managed. If it had remained at that level, Hossa would likely still be playing today.

But it didn’t. It intensified year after year. By the 2016-17 season, it had taken over his life.

Hossa has pictures of his skin from around that time, and was willing to show a few. In them, he has red blotches all over his feet and legs. The redness of each blotch varies. Some are darker, some are lighter, but they are plentiful.

[By the 2016-17 season]. The eczema was the worst it had ever been. It covered the front and back of his body. It leaked puss. It bled. It ended up on his bedsheets.

The Cyclosporine reduced some of the itching and the symptoms, but it wasn’t perfect. 

The drug can be so dangerous the FDA has given it a black box warning. Some of the possible side effects include an increased risk of serious infections, higher blood pressure, kidney disease, tumor and skin cancer. Hossa went to Northwestern Memorial Hospital for testing every two weeks.

“That’s the one thing, I was still in great shape, I felt good. But I came home, I was afraid to touch my kids because (my) skin was not in a good shape. I said I’m not supposed to be like this. I’m not supposed to eat pills to play hockey. Those pills are not easy pills. Those are hard pills. Every second week I have to go to hospital to check my blood. If those pills don’t affect me, something else.

Let's not forget the league didn't even review this contract until the following the year when Luo signed his deal and that was investigated and then with the uproar that came the league was like oh we better investigate Hossa's contract.. which if you look at the two, Hossa has the far worse contract. 

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

It doesn't change the fact they knew each year it was getting worse and that by the end of his contract he had the perfect excuses to retire early. This is total BS any form of retirement should result in cap punishment. 

The contract was signed before the condition appeared.  

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Let's not forget the league didn't even review this contract until the following the year when Luo signed his deal and that was investigated and then with the uproar that came the league was like oh we better investigate Hossa's contract.. which if you look at the two, Hossa has the far worse contract. 

Lol, they were signed the same year and the league was already investigating  Hossa's. The first Luongo contract was rejected by the league as it was longer by a year than Hossa's.

I'm not sure why you claim it is b.s.,   isn't his contract still being paid?

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

Lol, they were signed the same year and the league was already investigating  Hossa's. The first Luongo contract was rejected by the league as it was longer by a year than Hossa's.

I'm not sure why you claim it is b.s.,   isn't his contract still being paid?

No, they were not. Hossa was signed the year before and then won the Stanley Cup and then the Canucks signed Luongo and then the league investigated Luongo's contract. Luongo's contract was also never rejected by the league. Pretty much everything you said was completely wrong.

Luongo's contract was 10m the first year and then 6.7m the next 7 years and then dropped to 3.5m for a year before the final years come in between 1.6 and 1m. Hossa's contract was 7.9m for the first 7 years then 4m a year and then 4 years at 1m which are clearly just garbage years. Luongo's contract is nowhere near as bad yet the league chose to let Chicago win a cup and to not investigate this contract until Canucks fans were outraged that Lu's contract was investigated the following year.

17 hours ago, peaches5 said:

It doesn't change the fact they knew each year it was getting worse and that by the end of his contract he had the perfect excuses to retire early. This is total BS any form of retirement should result in cap punishment. 

You call having painful sores all over your body that ooze blood and puss just "an excuse to retire early"?  Good grief.  The guy had a legit reason to stop playing. 

If you want to cry about a Luongo contract that the Canucks haven't even been punished for, nor probably ever will, then start a different thread and bring your tissue box there.

So strange that he was able to manage when he was making 7.9 million but it all came crumbling down when he dipped to 1 million. Almost as strange that him and the blackhawks could keep a straight face when they signed a 12 year contract that took him to age 43. The fact that this illness bailed them out completely is an absolute joke. Everyone knew their intent and they should have been punished.

Archived