The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuck Young Forwards: Assessing 2017-18

JamesB

Performance of Canuck Young Forwards Relative to Expectations  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Baer is undervalued around here.  He is a solid #2LW who has been ok on the top line.   I expected him to stay healthy and net 20 goals; preferably on the 2nd line.  Perhaps next season.

Goldobin is overrated and quite frustrating for me.  Although he did improve some this year, he still struggles with consistency and lack of focus.  Next season will likely be his last chance with the Canucks.

Leipsic looked good in the few games he played.  Need to see how he adjusts to an entire season.

Boucher is an AHL guy, I'm afraid.

Gaunce plays a ton of minutes as Green's go to guy defensively.  His injury cut short what appeared to be his best season so far.  Hopefully he can stay healthy and pot 15pts next season. 

Granlund had an off year, but I don't put the entire blame on him.  Green gave him a tough assignment last season and it took him some time to adjust the complete role change from the year before.  I hope to see him with more offensive linemates next season.  If the management don't see him as a fit for the team, they should make sure he is in a position that will garner interest from other teams.

Virtanen is showing some signs of coming into his own and that is what is expected of a 5th overall pick.  I hope to see steady progress in his overall game, along with more points.

Horvat seems to improve his overall game every year, so I tend to take his development for granted.  I think he is the kind of player that will continue to develop his game for many years beyond the usual time frame of other players. I see him showing that he is a top line C and a future Selke candidate/winner one day.

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

And there in a nut shell is why we should sign Kane

We are trying to build a hockey team, and out of 11 LWers.................you say we have 1 ..............maybe

And I agree with you totally on this post.

I'd be happy if we signed Kane, he has everything we need in a winger.

I understand why people are hesitant, or simply don't want him. I think they're maybe holding onto the past a bit, but whatever.

He got a bum rep coming out of Winnipeg and the "stacks of cash", social media pic wasn't a great decision on his part. However, his teammates from Buffalo and San Jose sing a different tune, they like him, say he's just one of guys and gives his all on the ice. (Like Virtanen, consistency was a big knock on Kane earlier in his career..)

I know I grew up in a lot of ways from age 21-25... 

Leipsic had the new team bounce, and kind of disappeared for the last 15 games.  He needs to be consistent or his stay will not be long.

Baertschi was probably the least impressive of the new "core".  Top 6 players don't get healthy scratched multiple times in half a season.

Horvat was consistent all season, when healthy.  He continued to show us why he is captain material at the WHC.

Goldobin, much maligned, actually probably showed the most growth over the season, and has the most potential of this list.

Granlund was used in a shut down role.  In a contract year.  What a trooper.  KEEP HIM PLEASE.

Virtanen led the team in takeaways and he is just getting a taste of what his big body can do against men.  The kid is alright.

Gaunce was snakebitten early.  But in limited game and limited minutes, he actually scored some.  Another misunderstood two way player.

Boucher?  No thanks.

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

I'd be happy if we signed Kane, he has everything we need in a winger.

I understand why people are hesitant, or simply don't want him. I think they're maybe holding onto the past a bit, but whatever.

He got a bum rep coming out of Winnipeg and the "stacks of cash", social media pic wasn't a great decision on his part. However, his teammates from Buffalo and San Jose sing a different tune, they like him, say he's just one of guys and gives his all on the ice. (Like Virtanen, consistency was a big knock on Kane earlier in his career..)

I know I grew up in a lot of ways from age 21-25... 

$&!#....we all did! lol............didn't we? LOL

8 minutes ago, xereau said:

Leipsic had the new team bounce, and kind of disappeared for the last 15 games.  He needs to be consistent or his stay will not be long.

Baertschi was probably the least impressive of the new "core".  Top 6 players don't get healthy scratched multiple times in half a season.

Horvat was consistent all season, when healthy.  He continued to show us why he is captain material at the WHC.

Goldobin, much maligned, actually probably showed the most growth over the season, and has the most potential of this list.

Granlund was used in a shut down role.  In a contract year.  What a trooper.  KEEP HIM PLEASE.

Virtanen led the team in takeaways and he is just getting a taste of what his big body can do against men.  The kid is alright.

Gaunce was snakebitten early.  But in limited game and limited minutes, he actually scored some.  Another misunderstood two way player.

Boucher?  No thanks.

Gaunce is a choke artist with the puck.

So I agree like 87%

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

$&!#....we all did! lol............didn't we? LOL

In some ways, no. Was the time in my life I started to acknowledge my responsibilities to myself and others, as well as digging your heels into real understanding of work ethic.

3 minutes ago, xereau said:

Gaunce was great with Virtanen late in the season.  I think he will get better this year.

Ok... His offensive play is akin to a 14yr old boy taking off his girlfriends bra.

It might happen, but he's probably gonna need help.

Boucher's numbers might as well be tossed out the window. Injury replacement in meaningless games at the tail end of a throwaway season. Guaranteed the opposing coaches and D men weren't focusing on him at all - if they did, his production would grind to a halt. No disrespect to him but he's an AHLer through and through. We really should be able to recognize this by now over getting distracted by the newest shiniest possible toy.

The LW position is a mess. I really hoped that someone would step up and take it by now, but Baertschi is the best so far and he's a 2/3 tweener. It sucks because the options are to either gift it to Elias or Goldy uncontested or hand out another big UFA contract only to regret it 2/3yrs from now.

If only there was a middle option.

cut.jpeg

People are giving up on Goldobin WAY too soon.  He came on late in the year with a series of "best game yet" games.  He went down to Utica without any drama and busted his hump in the playoffs.  I thought he really showed his high-end skill with the puck and worked hard on the defensive end as well.  I think he has first line potential.  I could see him as the playmaker on a line with Brock and Bo.  I could also see Baer in that role, as he's a better passer than he is a shooter.  Goldy has the better high-end skill, but Baer has a more complete game.  Goldy's game was coming on at the end of last season.  Let's see if he can add a few more pounds and some upper body strength in the offseason and really compete for the top spot.  Baer turns in classic 2nd line LW stats.  If you project his stats for a full season, he's a 20+ goal, 50-60 point guy.  He just has to stay healthy.  I see Jake as a 2nd-3rd line beauty.  He's a guy who needs a passer on his line and if Bo and Brock are on the top line then that's not them.  I could see a future top line of EP, Jake, and Brock.  EP has elite vision and passing skills to go with an NHL caliber shot.  Jake has elite speed and is getting better at board battles.  If only he could hit the net with his shot. And of course, Brock is an elite SEAL Team 6 level sniper.

7 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Ya, he's getting 1LW deployment and putting up 2LW numbers.  So it would follow that with 2LW deployment, he would put up better numbers

Disagree. As was stated up the thread, Baer got 1LW/2LW deployment (depending on how much ice the Sedins got on a night) for only 30 games (with Bo and Brock).  He saw the rest of his time as 3LW with a variety of lesser centers.  Even then if you project his stats for a full season, he put up solid 2LW numbers.  Injuries scrambled the lines and I think a lot of players lacked the chemistry of having consistent linemates. 

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

To CDC

Funny how even Smithers joe doesn't even see Baertschi, Goldobin and Granlund there in the future

And Joe is pretty astute and positive fellow!

Odds are one if not two will disappear?  

But best case is they realize they have a shrinking window to develop into top 9 / top 6 / halo possible a top line player? And compete like banshee's to do it.

While none have grabbed serious roles they don't have much trade value? So really our best course of action is to see if we can develop them. And if they all develop, we'll have something to trade. With the next generation, Dahlen, Gadjovich etc., then pressing next year or the year after.

4 hours ago, xereau said:

Boucher?  No thanks.

Leipsic only played 14 games for the Canucks.  Hard to judge performance post-TDL though.  Etem finished strong with even a 5-game point streak and never made it out of training camp.  Teams in the playoffs rest their key players and teams out of the playoffs do like the Canucks and play their young players.  

Baer was only scratched 1x under Green - after a game where he had 2 assists.   Green didn't like how he was playing (Portland history) but he had 7pts over the 7 games with the healthy scratch in the middle.  WD had also scratched him 1x the season before.  That's only 2x over the last 2 seasons.

Granlund-Sutter-Dorsett were a line for only 12 games - longest he played with the same linemates.  He played with so many different combinations of players - Vanek, Gagner, Virtanen, Dowd, Baer, Gaunce, Eriksson. 

After his season ending injury Green revealed that he told Granlund that he didn't see him as a top-6 player and explained that last year he benefited from playing with the Sedins.  No indication as to when the discussion took place but could explain his lack of confidence this season - he told WD he wanted to be a top line player.

Sounds like Green wants Gaunce to be more physical to stay in the lineup.  He told him that opponents have to be aware when he is on the ice.

14 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

These results indicate to me we absolutely have a shortfall of forward talent in the current domain.  Particularly LW.

Some encouraging prospects. But a level of depth where guys are fighting for jobs (1LW for example) that may be ahead of any players current level of development? Many are suggesting we have so much depth, we need to trade a Baer, or Goldobin. Not when you take into account the role being asked of them?

My take is that we should acquire a UFA LW for our top 6.  Let the real battles be who secures 1st, 2knd & 3rd line LW among the UFA, Leipsic & Baer. If someone can push Gaunce out of 4LW, so be it. But I have him pencilled in as incumbent. If Gadgy or Dahlen was showing undeniable readiness to grab a top 9 role it might change the outlook. Having Pettersson play some 1LW or 2LW only pushes someone to the press box, but more likely accounts for inevitable IR time for someone, not out of a job.

Maybe what we need is not Kane? But a big fast, fore check like a beast UFA LW to play with Sutter & Eriksson? Komorov is first to mind, a lower end option Kulemin, and Hansen springs to mind as well? Kane still works IMO.

I would have Hansen back before either of those you mention. 

with several young playing possibly making the jump to the canucks in a couple of years, several canucks on the bubble, will have to prove they should be here. this coming season will be their best chance to prove to the coaches that they have the talent and desire to make a difference. 

baertschi, goldobin, granlund, motte, leipsic, gaunce, boucher, gagner and  archibald will need to prove that they are the future or just place holders. 

8 hours ago, luckylager said:

Ok... His offensive play is akin to a 14yr old boy taking off his girlfriends bra.

It might happen, but he's probably gonna need help.

He's finding out he needs more than just effort .. he needs dexterity to finish his plays and score.  Hopefully that comes with experience.  Then he'll keep abreast of what it takes to stay in the NHL.

15 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Gaunce plays a ton of minutes as Green's go to guy defensively.  His injury cut short what appeared to be his best season so far.  Hopefully he can stay healthy and pot 15pts next season. 

15 points is a pretty low bar for a 24 yr old former 1st round pick. I suspect Brendan will end up following his older brother Cameron's foot steps in the long run. Career AHL'er with call ups from time to time.

Archived