The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks turned down offers on Sutter (Sticking with the plan)

Rush17

9 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Becuase your getting assets when you trade players. And not giving up assets when you sign ufa.

Although the discussion is really pointless unless we know what the return would have been as that is the most important part. For a late 3rd round pick and a C prospect.  i keep him. For a late first and a B prospect. Sure. For an A prospect like say vilardi. I’d move him in a heart beat.

If hansen got Dahlen and burrows got goldi + a 4th. I’m thinking it would have to be something involving a late first or A prospect type deal. Anything less an I wouldn’t move sutter

You're right, you don't give up assets for a UFA, you just typically overpay.  Some people are already concerned that Sutter is overpaid.  What do you think will happen trying to sign a comparable decent shutdown center?  Especially if Canucks have to overpay further given our lowly place in the standings.

Given how much he was missed, especially when Bo was hurt, I don't see the need to move him without a significant over-pay in the trade since we would have to overpay a UFA to replace him.  It would be different if we already had an up-n-comer, but we don't.  

Agreed, not knowing what the offers were makes it tough to criticize or praise Jim, but I'd be less quick to pull the trigger.

Considering we just lost a boatload of veteran experience in the twins, I don't see Sutter as being very expendable right now.  I'd be quite happy to keep him through this contract, and possibly beyond.  Who knows, maybe by then he would be willing to give a discount (i.e. staying about where he is now, dollar-wise) as Boeser, Elias, and other kids come into form.  I don't think it is too big a stretch that he turns into the second coming of Manny.  Someone we desperately need come playoff time.

On 2018-05-21 at 9:39 AM, Rush17 said:

It was reported by Jason Botchford that the Vancouver Canucks turned down trade offers from 4 teams on Brandon Sutter last season.  The teams apparently called every day for a week to try and pry him from Vancouver.  Jim and Trevor held their ground though and protected our foundational player in Brandon Sutter.  If they knew the likelyhood of the the Sedin twins leaving it only makes sense why they opted to keep him.  Brandon Sutter is a valuable member of our leadership group and a key defensive center on our team.  This could just be wild speculation from Botchfords end but it was believed San Jose, Anaheim, and Las Angeles all made calls to acquire Sutter for their playoff push.  I personally do not see Anaheim being a team willing to add a player of Sutter's worth but I certainly see San Jose and Las Angeles showing interest.  

I debated whether or not to give this topic any day of light.  But I think its a valuable one to share if it is true.  Jim and Trevor in my honest opinion made the right call.  With the Sedin twins hanging up their skates it leaves a big leadership and experience void on our club.  By keeping Brandon Sutter it shows this team is determined to follow a plan "their plan" to add quality veterans and build around those pieces until they are eventually expendable.  Brandon Sutter has proven time and time again he is a clutch scorer and a good defensive player.  He, unfortunately, has been largely overmatched being put in tough situations since his arrival but he has done his best to support this team and his teammates.  I believe this is a good sign that our management team is sticking to their guns and following their plan even if they don't lay it out in the open for us.  I believe they do indeed have a plan and they are executing it quite well. One could argue adding more picks/prospects would have given us an edge which I somewhat agree with.  But if you look at their body of work we have to give them credit for what they have accomplished in unearthing the talents they have both in the first and later rounds.  

I believe the adding of meat and potatoes is now over.  Last draft we saw them focus on acquiring speed and skill. In my opinion, I do not believe this was due to the fact the game was getting faster but rather because that is where we are in our development.  We have already acquired our goalie and power forward of the future. Two positions that take time to develop.  Now the focus is getting those skilled players who can lead us into battle.  An argument can be made.. if you get all skill guys first you do not have the "depth" or grit you need first.  By following this timeline of getting the meat and potatoes first.. Those players, that power forward, and that goalie can all grow with the skill guys we add now who will likely make an impact around the same time as the others taken before them.  I absolutely love how we have had these guys grow together at our annual development camps.  They have battled together on and off the ice in scavengers hunts, blindfolded dodge ball and now on the ice. I look forward to seeing how this young group enters the league together over the next few seasons and we see the fruit of our scouting staffs labour pay off.

I give huge props to Jim and Trevor for standing pat and following the plan.  Without guys like Sutter, Edler, Del Zotto, and Eriksson this team would be in a much darker place.  By holding on to these assets they can provide locker room leadership and groom the kids for their eventual rise to the top of the league.  Also wanted to say.. Have fun in the final Vegas fans!  It has been a hell of year.  I will feel sorry for you if you win it.  This struggle is what brings us together and gives us the burning desire to see this team compete and improve.  I for one would much rather go through some hard years before being gifted a cup appearance even though it would be very nice. :)  Elias Pettersson, Jonathan Dahlen, Olli Juolevi and Lucas Jasek are all going to have a great opportunity next season.  Let's hope we can find another quality guy to join forces our stars of tomorrow and get that fire of hope burning a little bit brighter!

Go Canucks Go!

Glue can't be pried.

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

You're right, you don't give up assets for a UFA, you just typically overpay.  Some people are already concerned that Sutter is overpaid.  What do you think will happen trying to sign a comparable decent shutdown center?  Especially if Canucks have to overpay further given our lowly place in the standings.

Canucks overpaid sutter based on expectations of him being true 2nd line center. He’s overpaid based on the skill set he brings. He’s a pure shutdown 3rd line center. And even with that said he’s really not overpaid that much.  But Look a jay beagle. Beagle is better match up player and produces as much offense. You think he’s going to command over 4?

And really who cares about canucks overpaying in the short term if it improves our long term by us getting another valuable asset. We have plenty of cap available short term. I wouldn’t want to get rid of sutter under the premise that he’s a bad player and we need an upgrade. We likely wouldn’t upgrade in the short term The goal is to obtain an asset for the long term.  

Its the same idea around moving tanev.  Trade now while value is high. 

Given how much he was missed, especially when Bo was hurt, I don't see the need to move him without a significant over-pay in the trade since we would have to overpay a UFA to replace him.  It would be different if we already had an up-n-comer, but we don't.  

Guadette comes to mind. 

Overpaying an asset being received is extremely different than overpaying in a cap committed. 

Agreed, not knowing what the offers were makes it tough to criticize or praise Jim, but I'd be less quick to pull the trigger.

I see value in assets being received. I see value in the first round this year. 

Considering we just lost a boatload of veteran experience in the twins, I don't see Sutter as being very expendable right now.  I'd be quite happy to keep him through this contract, and possibly beyond.  Who knows, maybe by then he would be willing to give a discount (i.e. staying about where he is now, dollar-wise) as Boeser, Elias, and other kids come into form.  I don't think it is too big a stretch that he turns into the second coming of Manny.  Someone we desperately need come playoff time.

It’s a long time before we need to start planning around playoffs. By that time our roster will look a lot different. The last thing I’m concerned over about right now missing a 3rd line center. 

56 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Canucks overpaid sutter based on expectations of him being true 2nd line center. He’s overpaid based on the skill set he brings. He’s a pure shutdown 3rd line center. And even with that said he’s really not overpaid that much.  But Look a jay beagle. Beagle is better match up player and produces as much offense. You think he’s going to command over 4?

Agree with most of what you say here.  Beagle is not a comparable.  Someone I like, and he's a good 4th liner, but I wouldn't put him on the same level as Sutter.  Older, less production, plays less minutes.  Good value for his contract, though.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And really who cares about canucks overpaying in the short term if it improves our long term by us getting another valuable asset. We have plenty of cap available short term. I wouldn’t want to get rid of sutter under the premise that he’s a bad player and we need an upgrade. We likely wouldn’t upgrade in the short term The goal is to obtain an asset for the long term.  

Again, agree with a fair bit here, but not completely.  If it takes a 6 year contract to make the signing, like with Loui, then it could hamstring the team later.  But, I could be worrying too much here, since the expectations would be lower, so a long term deal would be less likely.

Its the same idea around moving tanev.  Trade now while value is high. 

Guadette comes to mind. 

You only want to trade value if you aren't going to do anything with it.  If you take out the long-term injuries to Bo and Sutter this year, there's a decent change the Canucks squeak in.  If the Canucks are able to replace and outdo what was lost with the Twins, playoffs are not out of the question this coming season.  Not saying they are a lock to make it, of course, but always hopeful.  And, there's a part of me that really wants that Manny factor when the time comes.

Gaudette might come to mind, but he's still a rookie, and it will be at least 5 years before he can fill that role (shutdown center, not just the 3rd line center), unless he is something amazing.  Too small a sample size at this point.

I see value in assets being received. I see value in the first round this year. 

Barring a home run like Boeser, a late first won't be a big deal for 4-5 years, if it pans out at all.  Fully admit I don't have the time to pay attention to draft classes, but many seem to agree with you about how good this class is.

It’s a long time before we need to start planning around playoffs. By that time our roster will look a lot different. The last thing I’m concerned over about right now missing a 3rd line center. 

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I don't think it is that far away.  If the twins were a significant factor keeping the team down, the team should make it in this year (barring another Bo/Sutter concurrent injury).  If they are good enough for a 3rd place division finish in a couple years, I'd want Sutter around for that rather than the return you mentioned.  If they'll only be a bubble team or worse in 2-3 yrs, then I'd be a little easier in letting him go now like you suggest.

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 2:39 AM, Rush17 said:

San Jose, Anaheim, and Las Angeles all made calls to acquire Sutter for their playoff push. 

Maybe they called before trading for Henrique?

Man, Vatanen would have looked goooood here!

On 5/22/2018 at 3:09 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

:huh:  +8 over 61 games last year (remember, Canucks were -41).   Offense totals near career average per game (actually above at 0.43 last year, 0.38 ppg career).    Played in all key defensive roles.   52% in the circle.   More mins/game than Sedins.   

What do you want from this guy?    

On 5/21/2018 at 9:39 AM, Rush17 said:

It was reported by Jason Botchford that the Vancouver Canucks turned down trade offers from 4 teams on Brandon Sutter last season.  The teams apparently called every day for a week to try and pry him from Vancouver.  Jim and Trevor held their ground though and protected our foundational player in Brandon Sutter.  If they knew the likelyhood of the the Sedin twins leaving it only makes sense why they opted to keep him.  Brandon Sutter is a valuable member of our leadership group and a key defensive center on our team.  This could just be wild speculation from Botchfords end but it was believed San Jose, Anaheim, and Las Angeles all made calls to acquire Sutter for their playoff push.  I personally do not see Anaheim being a team willing to add a player of Sutter's worth but I certainly see San Jose and Las Angeles showing interest.  

I debated whether or not to give this topic any day of light.  But I think its a valuable one to share if it is true.  Jim and Trevor in my honest opinion made the right call.  With the Sedin twins hanging up their skates it leaves a big leadership and experience void on our club.  By keeping Brandon Sutter it shows this team is determined to follow a plan "their plan" to add quality veterans and build around those pieces until they are eventually expendable.  Brandon Sutter has proven time and time again he is a clutch scorer and a good defensive player.  He, unfortunately, has been largely overmatched being put in tough situations since his arrival but he has done his best to support this team and his teammates.  I believe this is a good sign that our management team is sticking to their guns and following their plan even if they don't lay it out in the open for us.  I believe they do indeed have a plan and they are executing it quite well. One could argue adding more picks/prospects would have given us an edge which I somewhat agree with.  But if you look at their body of work we have to give them credit for what they have accomplished in unearthing the talents they have both in the first and later rounds.  

I believe the adding of meat and potatoes is now over.  Last draft we saw them focus on acquiring speed and skill. In my opinion, I do not believe this was due to the fact the game was getting faster but rather because that is where we are in our development.  We have already acquired our goalie and power forward of the future. Two positions that take time to develop.  Now the focus is getting those skilled players who can lead us into battle.  An argument can be made.. if you get all skill guys first you do not have the "depth" or grit you need first.  By following this timeline of getting the meat and potatoes first.. Those players, that power forward, and that goalie can all grow with the skill guys we add now who will likely make an impact around the same time as the others taken before them.  I absolutely love how we have had these guys grow together at our annual development camps.  They have battled together on and off the ice in scavengers hunts, blindfolded dodge ball and now on the ice. I look forward to seeing how this young group enters the league together over the next few seasons and we see the fruit of our scouting staffs labour pay off.

I give huge props to Jim and Trevor for standing pat and following the plan.  Without guys like Sutter, Edler, Del Zotto, and Eriksson this team would be in a much darker place.  By holding on to these assets they can provide locker room leadership and groom the kids for their eventual rise to the top of the league.  Also wanted to say.. Have fun in the final Vegas fans!  It has been a hell of year.  I will feel sorry for you if you win it.  This struggle is what brings us together and gives us the burning desire to see this team compete and improve.  I for one would much rather go through some hard years before being gifted a cup appearance even though it would be very nice. :)  Elias Pettersson, Jonathan Dahlen, Olli Juolevi and Lucas Jasek are all going to have a great opportunity next season.  Let's hope we can find another quality guy to join forces our stars of tomorrow and get that fire of hope burning a little bit brighter!

Go Canucks Go!

Great post.  I think that Sutter is a key piece in the support structure of the Canucks.  He and others will log the tough minutes now that most of the old guard have either retired or moved along.  This is all about the development of young and drafted players imo.

The post Sedin era begins with Horvat, Sutter, Gagner (?) and Gaudette down the middle which is frankly a tad light and I think that any top 6 calibre centre available in free agency may be looking for more term than Benning is willing to give.  It's a tough find since most other teams would like a top 6 centre as well.

I think that Benning has been adding players based on opportunity to date as he has been drafting for BPA.  This is why Benning has drafted relatively few higher end defensemen in the 1st or 2nd rounds (Juolevi would be the only one).  Pouliot was a find based on his draft pedigree (8 OA 2012) but at 24, he remains a work in progress.

On 2018-05-21 at 4:12 PM, Provost said:

Well you are the uppity one arguing and repeatedly being shown to be wrong... and then trying to move into another point where you are wrong again.

You are just making random stuff up now because your panties are in a knot from someone pointing out the massive factual flaws in your thinking.

-  I didn't say that not having a mix of R and L hand centres didn't matter, as a matter of fact I went through pains to outline how we will already have several R hand centres on our roster, and are almost certainly getting another centre for the 2nd line to replace Hank either through signing or trade.... and we have no idea if he will be left or right handed.  Using your logic you are the one who doesn't care about left and right handed.  If we signed Bozak for the 2nd line (or traded/signed any other right handed centre), that would give us 3 R (with Gaudette as 4th line) and one L.  We would additionally have an extra R handed centre in Gagner to take draws on his strong side.... that would be terribly unbalanced in the opposite way.  The handedness of our centres is not a prime factor right now in building the roster since we don't know who will be filling it out.

-  If you think that Sutter is the 2nd best centre behind Tavares if you slotted him into the UFA centre list... then there is literally nothing that can be said to bring you to reality.  It is laughable and insane.

-  We can certainly find a good 3rd line centre if we are offering the salary we are paying Sutter.  More importantly and what I have repeatedly said, is that we actually need to find a 2nd line centre.  The 3rd line slot can be filled in either via signing or with someone in our organization until Petterson shows he can slot in the middle. 

You had me until you mentioned Boxak.

Our team will not improve by taking on Laff discards such as Bozek. No Leaf sloppy seconds please and thank you.

On 2018-05-22 at 3:17 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

Sutter is a great player for the Canucks that a sizeable portion of the fanbase are oblivious to, for some strange reason. Maybe it's analytics. Maybe it's Maybelline.

Common sense takes a beating on threads like this one. The detractors are out in full force. Angry drunks, frustrated armchair quarterbacks, keyboard warriors, they’re all here.

Like Dr Dre said ..... I just sit back and watch the show. 

17 hours ago, Kragar said:

Agree with most of what you say here.  Beagle is not a comparable.  Someone I like, and he's a good 4th liner, but I wouldn't put him on the same level as Sutter.  Older, less production, plays less minutes.  Good value for his contract, though.

Sutter is a 30 point player. Beagle is a 20-30 point player so sutter does bring more offense but not by much. Beagle is a better face off man that plays 70% d zone starts. He’s a pure match up player. That’s what we would be looking for to replace sutter, someone able to play the tough minutes so the kids don’t have to. Sutter plays more but that says more about canucks lack of depth. But now that we have some prospects making the jump. We will have more players to fill holes rather than making sutter our Swiss Army knife. 

Again, agree with a fair bit here, but not completely.  If it takes a 6 year contract to make the signing, like with Loui, then it could hamstring the team later.  But, I could be worrying too much here, since the expectations would be lower, so a long term deal would be less likely.

We got gagner vanek and vbrata all signed in the last 4 years from ufa without having to offer more than 3 years. I don’t see why this summer is any different. 

Honestly. I think this teams needs to get two centers in the offseason. A 2nd line center to take some offensive pressure off bo. And if we do move sutter. A fourth line shut down role player. A leestu. Vermette. Beagle type. Someone to take on the majority of the defensive situations. That would leave gaudette playing limited until he gets his foot in the door

You only want to trade value if you aren't going to do anything with it.  If you take out the long-term injuries to Bo and Sutter this year, there's a decent change the Canucks squeak in.

Yeah we don’t agree on that Canucks were not a playoff team we don’t have goaltending, d depth or scoring to up are level down the stretch. Injuries don’t help but they don’t mask that this team isn’t very good. 

If the Canucks are able to replace and outdo what was lost with the Twins, playoffs are not out of the question this coming season. 

i think thats quite optimistic. This team isn’t very good. You have to expect injuries to hit and you have to expect regression. Hoping every player has a career year. Plus filling the twins 40 point. Plus filling vaneks production and still have average at best goaltending. We don’t have depth to compete yet. We’re one bo horvat injury away from being another bottom 5 team. 

Not saying they are a lock to make it, of course, but always hopeful.  And, there's a part of me that really wants that Manny factor when the time comes.

Gaudette might come to mind, but he's still a rookie, and it will be at least 5 years before he can fill that role (shutdown center, not just the 3rd line center), unless he is something amazing.  Too small a sample size at this point.

Gaudette is a lot farther along. He’s not some 18 year old draft prospect. He’ll be 22 next season.  He’s only one year younger then bo. He’s the reigning hobey baker winning. 5 years puts him at 27. I don’t expect him to jump out like Brock did he’s a lot closer than 5 years. I expect him to be making an impact as soon as the end of next year. 

Barring a home run like Boeser, a late first won't be a big deal for 4-5 years, if it pans out at all.  Fully admit I don't have the time to pay attention to draft classes, but many seem to agree with you about how good this class is.

I look look at this years draft class and see what players likely are still around in the 20-25 range and I don’t know how you can’t get excited about them there’s bound to be some gems in that group.  

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I don't think it is that far away.  If the twins were a significant factor keeping the team down, the team should make it in this year (barring another Bo/Sutter concurrent injury).  If they are good enough for a 3rd place division finish in a couple years, I'd want Sutter around for that rather than the return you mentioned.

I think your riding the hope train a little to much sutter isn’t the final piece for them team to be a contender. We are such a long ways from being a contender. 

If they'll only be a bubble team or worse in 2-3 yrs, then I'd be a little easier in letting him go now like you suggest.

In order to reach a contending level. We need many more assets. That’s why if the price is right tanev and sutter are both expendable. 

16 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sutter is a 30 point player. Beagle is a 20-30 point player so sutter does bring more offense but not by much. Beagle is a better face off man that plays 70% d zone starts. He’s a pure match up player. That’s what we would be looking for to replace sutter, someone able to play the tough minutes so the kids don’t have to. Sutter plays more but that says more about canucks lack of depth. But now that we have some prospects making the jump. We will have more players to fill holes rather than making sutter our Swiss Army knife. 

We got gagner vanek and vbrata all signed in the last 4 years from ufa without having to offer more than 3 years. I don’t see why this summer is any different. 

Honestly. I think this teams needs to get two centers in the offseason. A 2nd line center to take some offensive pressure off bo. And if we do move sutter. A fourth line shut down role player. A leestu. Vermette. Beagle type. Someone to take on the majority of the defensive situations. That would leave gaudette playing limited until he gets his foot in the door

Yeah we don’t agree on that Canucks were not a playoff team we don’t have goaltending, d depth or scoring to up are level down the stretch. Injuries don’t help but they don’t mask that this team isn’t very good. 

i think thats quite optimistic. This team isn’t very good. You have to expect injuries to hit and you have to expect regression. Hoping every player has a career year. Plus filling the twins 40 point. Plus filling vaneks production and still have average at best goaltending. We don’t have depth to compete yet. We’re one bo horvat injury away from being another bottom 5 team. 

Gaudette is a lot farther along. He’s not some 18 year old draft prospect. He’ll be 22 next season.  He’s only one year younger then bo. He’s the reigning hobey baker winning. 5 years puts him at 27. I don’t expect him to jump out like Brock did he’s a lot closer than 5 years. I expect him to be making an impact as soon as the end of next year. 

I look look at this years draft class and see what players likely are still around in the 20-25 range and I don’t know how you can’t get excited about them there’s bound to be some gems in that group.  

I think your riding the hope train a little to much sutter isn’t the final piece for them team to be a contender. We are such a long ways from being a contender. 

In order to reach a contending level. We need many more assets. That’s why if the price is right tanev and sutter are both expendable. 

If I take a more pessimistic view, I agree with you more, so that's fair.  I had concerns at the start of last year about goaltending, and the meltdown during Bo's absence didn't help.  Bouncing back later in the season was nice to see, so perhaps the experience/maturity will help them going forward.  The team was hit overly hard with injuries, but IIRC, that has been fairly normal so some consideration should remain for that to continue.  Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Maybe we can get Sutter back in a few years, when Elias is a PPG player, takes over the 1C, leaving Bo as 2C where he is better suited :) 

22 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Since it seems you know a lot about team management and you seem to have a crystal ball on what the GM is going to do in the next couple of seasons, can you explain in detail what exactly it is going to take for us to reach a "contending level"? 

There is the obvious in that we need a good goalie. 

I think the opposite is going to happen and this team will not "regress". With the GM making a smart acquisition with the extra cap space we have,drafts well this year, the young players getting better(Bo,Boeser,Virtanen etc.) and players who were held to more defensive roles(Sutter,Granlund) are allowed more offensive chances, we are going to see the team GROW and PROSPER. 

With the unusual amount injuries the last couple of years, I seriously doubt that we can have another year of that kind of bad luck. 

I also think that players who have had a not so great season last year will have rebound years such as Baertchi,Sutter,Granlund,Ericksson and Gudbranson.

Oh yeah and the Vegas Knights say Hi! :lol:

On 5/21/2018 at 1:41 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

No there's about 3: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2019/caphit/all/center/ufa/desc/1/right

Bozak will cost just as much if not more, and the other right handed shut down C's are not as good. Beagle would be a great option as a 4C but he's nowhere near as fast as Sutter. 

And you'd be making the Sutter deal hoping that you get one of these free agents, which you may not. Benning would be leaving the C depth gutted and thats not how they are going to build this team. Sure you'd get some picks and maybe a prospect that can help what, 4 or 5 seasons from now? It doesn't make sense for how they want to get this team back to being competitive again. 

You're wasting your time with that one JM.

Anyone whose principal argument is that there are other centers with comparable production available clearly doesn't get the point - doesn't understand Sutter's role - and probably has no idea why other teams would be looking to acquire Sutter in the first place.  Reducing it to production is just plain daft.

Replacing Sutter with a Bozak type, adding no one else, and then filling out the bottom six C spots with the youth in the system (or Gagner lol) - is about as bad an idea/plan for this summer as I've heard anywhere.

I'd probably want a trade for Jenner (or similar) and Beagle or Richardson signed (or a deal in principal in the week leading up to July 1) before I even contemplate moving Sutter personally.

Added bonus if we bring Roussel in too.

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Since it seems you know a lot about team management and you seem to have a crystal ball on what the GM is going to do in the next couple of seasons, can you explain in detail what exactly it is going to take for us to reach a "contending level"? 

There is the obvious in that we need a good goalie. 

It’s simple. Time and patience’s. We have a lot of good young potential we just need to work on developing those players and adding to them. Let the cream rise to the top and build from it. It’s not going to happen over night. 

I think the opposite is going to happen and this team will not "regress".

It’s hard to regress when you ARE the worst team in the league that last 3 years. At this point it’s only going up. But we need to let our players develop and not go full Toronto/Calgary and start trading away picks for pieces to fill holes. (Kessel/hamonic). 

With the GM making a smart acquisition with the extra cap space we have,drafts well this year, the young players getting better(Bo,Boeser,Virtanen etc.) and players who were held to more defensive roles(Sutter,Granlund) are allowed more offensive chances, we are going to see the team GROW and PROSPER. 

With the unusual amount injuries the last couple of years, I seriously doubt that we can have another year of that kind of bad luck. 

Injuries wasn’t the only thing that kept us out of playoffs. A fully Healthy roster we are a fingers crossed bubble team. But expecting the key pieces to remain healthy with our travel is just unrealistic. 

We always had injures. Be it luongo/cloutier/Miller/edler/tanev/burrows/gudbranson/sutter/hamuis. 

I also think that players who have had a not so great season last year will have rebound years such as Baertchi,Sutter,Granlund,Ericksson and Gudbranson.

Yeah and that’s called hopes and dreams. Or letting bias cloud your judgment. I do it all the time when the draft roles around. Instead of thinking with my head I think with the heart. It rarely works out. 

Oh yeah and the Vegas Knights say Hi! :lol:

What about them. A team exceed expectations means we raise the bar for our own?  You don’t plan based on crossing your fingers. You plan based on percentages smart and decisions.  

Archived