The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A look back at the Cory Schneider trade 5 years later

Rush17

Questions   

278 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi everyone.  It is nearly 5 years since the infamous "we have a trade to announce...  I think you may want to hear this!" Gary Betman quote.  This trade of course was completed in New Jersey on June 30th, 2013.  It has been rumoured the deal was actually consummated the night before on June 29th but with the dire warning "if you leak this. the deal is off".  As some sources say.  Either though it has been 4 years, 10 months, and 9 days since the trade had been called in and announced live on television.  

Here is a clip for those of you who wish to relive the moment!

It was rumoured about that the Edmonton Oilers had offered a larger package including the 7th overall pick, a young D man, and a 2nd round pick.  This being considerably less then GIllis accepted from Lou Lam of the NJ Devils who just gave up a 9th overall pick.  Based on the success of both that pick (used to select Bo Horvat) and the play of Cory Schneider. I wanted to create this topic as a look back and compare how we felt then and how we feel now about the assets that were moved on that historic day.  If you didn't know Bo Horvat is kind of a big deal around these parts.  Many in the media and fanbase were clambering for his ascension to team Captain as the twins were just getting their coat on to leave the rink.  Although I disagree with that sentiment at this team it does speak to a large degree of how successful he has been in Vancouver and what type of quality player a team can acquire with the 9th overall pick.  

If Vancouver can get Elias Pettersson at 5th overall and Bo Horvat at 9th overall I think its safe to say we are going to get a very good player at number 7 overall.  It makes me wonder what we would of done with that 7th overall back in 2013 if we had of accepted the deal with the Oilers.  Would we of taken Darnell Nurse? or perhaps we may of still taken Bo Horvat. We may never know.. Unless Gilman decides to open and spill the beans on the Sekeres and Price show he often hosts with on Wednesdays. (I personally am not a fan of 1040.. but I like the insight of GIlman so I make the exception for when he's on). But enough about the Oilers and Laurence Gilman the former Canucks Assistant GM.  Let's talk about the trade that shocked the hockey world and set things in motions that no one could of predicted that day. (IE Connor McDavid landing in Edmonton among them).

Please participate in the polls and share your thoughts. How did you feel about the trade when it was announced and how do you feel about it now looking at it in the future?

:D Share your thoughts!  I would love to see how we all feel now nearly 5 years later.

Fair trade. 

Cory while at times have been great was a complete non factorbin the devils making playoffs last year and rode the pine. 

Imo we are about to name that traded for draft pick as Captain and he is without being a mcdavid, a perfect captain, 2nd line center if elais pans out as 1st line C and leads with his body. 

I would do it again!

Tough to answer #3 at this point without knowing which assets were included.  7th overall, young D-man and 2nd would've been better for sure (could've taken Bo earlier) but again the point of trading to a divisional rival and having them burn them comes to mind (wonder how LA likes Martin Jones now).

Without a doubt I'd say I'm happy with how it has panned out for now (Bo as a #1 center, Schneider's not a guy who would necessarily be a savior for us - he's probably not much more than Marky, the big Russian drafted by Dallas isn't even here as a comparable).

Do keep in mind that Mike Gillis was fired the following spring.  It didn't make much sense to trade a 27-year old top tier goaltender when the team was still a solid playoff contender.  Based on pure value, how good was the trade?  It was alright.  As you posted earlier, I think he was worth more than a 9th overall pick.  A lot of people were disappointed that he traded our young star and that we didn't even get a lottery pick in return.  That trade contributed to his firing, because after trading Luongo we had no real starting goalie.

This trade also fast-tracked a painful decline where we have since lost our identity.  The years have not been great since that trade.  5 years, one playoff appearance, 4 times in bottom five.  The Canucks have sucked hard these past years.  We finally have a lot of young talent in the pipeline, but they haven't been good years.  The Sedins are gone.  It's an important off-season for Benning, who can either add some additional young talent to create a contender in the coming years or burn away the best years of Boeser and Horvat.

I literally head-desked when the trade was originally announced. After all the drama surrounding Luongo, Gillis went and traded the younger goalie!? Obviously though, that trade ended up being for the best. Schneider would not have helped the Canucks stay a playoff team and we'd still be in the middle of a rebuild...without Bo Horvat to show for it. 

From what I understand, Horvat was who Gillis would have taken with the 7th overall pick if they had accepted Edmonton's offer as well.

Bo Horvat has turned out to be exactly the type of player the franchise and the fans need. 

Love watching him play, he is a natural leader, and it doesn't hurt that he is a very good hockey player.

I love Cory Schneider and always hope he plays well (except for against Vancouver) but ending up with Horvat was a nice consolation. It really was a solid trade for both sides.

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

God we were a mess with contract troubles and 2 good goalies. I would take Schneids back to be a back up goalie that could mentor Demko IF the price was right.

Of course I would take Schneider back for that very reason.

Would I take back the trade though - no chance in H-e double hockey sticks.:lol:

I was fine with the trade as I had just watched young Bo lead his team to a OHL title while scoring 16 goals in 21 games. Remember the only precedent of a young goalie traded for a good return was Varlamov who went for a 11th overall pick and this pick was actually moved before the season so the price the Devils paid is by far the highest for any goalie for more than a decade. In return they got a top goalie in his prime and these are rarely moved. It was a fair trade which will end up in our favour as time goes on. Gillis did great.

This trade was a massive gamble for the organization. There were no secrets about Cory Schneider - everyone knew he had a very strong future in the NHL as a starter, with a very solid NHL record up to that point. Bo Horvat's value was entirely based on potential at that point, with no ideas of whether his skills would translate to the NHL. It was a ballsy move, and seemed insane at the time, but now it's clear the value of Horvat was worth the hefty price tag. I'd do it again. Bo Horvat is a genuine winner, with his best days still to come.

In general, I'm happy with how Bo has turned out, he's going to be a cornerstone of this organization for years to come.

At the time the trade happened, I didn't like it and I still have mixed emotions about it. My general problem with it was, we had a goalie who was ready to be the #1 workhorse for an organization and we were trading for a complete unknown with #9. To this day, I still feel like we didn't receive enough back on this deal. We had no limitation on who we could trade with, there were 29 teams that we could work a deal with, and for many of those, Cory would have been a significant upgrade on their goal situation.

In hindsight, the trade worked out pretty well, but at the time, we were taking a huge risk because GMMG got himself cornered and then tried to rush a solution.

There is never a guarantee in any draft selection, there's been some really high end flops, including Yakupov, just the year earlier at #1 overall.

If you look at the history of the 2013 draft: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2013e.html

We absorbed a lot more risk than we should have for a proven asset. We should have at the very least had another prospect coming back with the #9 OA.

I was disappointed when the trade happened because we could have gotten more in return.  I would have asked for Edmonton's 2015 1st instead of their 2013 1st just for a shot at McDavid, but getting their 7th, a young D, and a 2nd isn't too shabby and would have potentially gotten us Horvat, Klefbom (he was undervalue at that time), and a prospect.

17 minutes ago, WestCoastDave said:

I was disappointed when the trade happened because we could have gotten more in return.  I would have asked for Edmonton's 2015 1st instead of their 2013 1st just for a shot at McDavid, but getting their 7th, a young D, and a 2nd isn't too shabby and would have potentially gotten us Horvat, Klefbom (he was undervalue at that time), and a prospect.

Considering that 2 years is a lot of time, with the possibility that Schneider would have changed their standings (maybe a couple of more wins to change their chances) and that the Oilers won the lottery over the Sabres.... it would have been impossible to predict that the Oilers would have won McDavid.

Considering Schneider went in the dumper, it’s a great trade for us.  What’s Schneider worth now?  What’s Bo worth now?  Personally, I always thought Schneider had trouble when there was added pressure.  

The deal has been a pretty even one up to this point, but if Schneider can't get his game back, we may end up the victors. Schneids was one of the best netminders in the league for a while, but he seems to be slowing down now, right as Bo is heating up.

Archived