The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A look back at the Cory Schneider trade 5 years later

Rush17

Questions   

278 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I felt that we should have gotten more asset for Schneider.   We are lucky that Horvat panned out and if he is a bust, this trade is a huge loss.   NJ still wins this deal regardless of 5 seasons later.   If we were to compare a starter goaltender in a trade for any return, we got way less in return fi you were to compared to other transaction across the league.  

Every time I see us touch on that trade in hindsight, the rumour around what Edmonton offered gets bigger. My recollection is the 7th overall (that much we know would have been the core piece) and MPS. The alternative we heard that was going around was the 7th overall and a 2nd round pick. I don't remember any rumour at the time of the 7th, plus a young defenceman, plus a 2nd round pick.

Regardless, the answer remains the same. To move up two spots in the draft to pick a player we were able to pick at 9th, but trade with a division rival for a marginally better piece added on, would have made our life harder, not better. Imagine facing Schneider so many times in a year and watching the Oilers actually have some success with a quality goalie behind them, but still only having Horvat really to show for it? It wouldn't have been worth it.

But the Schneider move was a surprise. It was a possibility for sure, since we had to trade one goalie and a Luongo move was very, very tough to do. The rumour of his agent having nixed a deal to Toronto and Florida not being in a position to take him back as yet only made it harder. Combine that with goalies always yielding a lesser return in deals compared to forwards and defenceman of the same calibre, and we weren't ever going to get into the top three with Schneider alone.

It is what it is and we got a very good young player in Horvat out of it.

23 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Every time I see us touch on that trade in hindsight, the rumour around what Edmonton offered gets bigger. My recollection is the 7th overall (that much we know would have been the core piece) and MPS. The alternative we heard that was going around was the 7th overall and a 2nd round pick. I don't remember any rumour at the time of the 7th, plus a young defenceman, plus a 2nd round pick.

Regardless, the answer remains the same. To move up two spots in the draft to pick a player we were able to pick at 9th, but trade with a division rival for a marginally better piece added on, would have made our life harder, not better. Imagine facing Schneider so many times in a year and watching the Oilers actually have some success with a quality goalie behind them, but still only having Horvat really to show for it? It wouldn't have been worth it.

But the Schneider move was a surprise. It was a possibility for sure, since we had to trade one goalie and a Luongo move was very, very tough to do. The rumour of his agent having nixed a deal to Toronto and Florida not being in a position to take him back as yet only made it harder. Combine that with goalies always yielding a lesser return in deals compared to forwards and defenceman of the same calibre, and we weren't ever going to get into the top three with Schneider alone.

It is what it is and we got a very good young player in Horvat out of it.

I believe it was the 7th overall pick, Martin Marincin (promising D man), and a 2nd.  That is what I heard reported a year or two later on the radio. (Via 1040 the radio rights holders at the time).  Take what you will out of 1040 lol.

Just now, Rush17 said:

I believe it was the 7th overall pick, Martin Marincin (promising D man), and a 2nd.  That is what I heard reported a year or two later on the radio. (Via 1040 the radio rights holders at the time).  Take what you will out of 1040 lol.

Marincin never really panned out. He was dealt to Toronto in last year or two and is currently on Toronto's stacked AHL club.  He couldn't even crack this years Leafs d core.

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I think McTavish even said after the trade was announced by Bettman something like: “wtf, we offered more”, or something close to that.  

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think McTavish even said after the trade was announced by Bettman something like: “wtf, we offered more”, or something close to that.  

Yeah, the video above talks about the Edmonton bunch being visibly upset as they offered more lol. I am fine with seeing more McDavid tho works for me lol. I want to watch us beat him time and time again.  As long as Chiapet is there we are ok.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Marincin never really panned out. He was dealt to Toronto in last year or two and is currently on Toronto's stacked AHL club.  He couldn't even crack this years Leafs d core.

I seem to recall he was actually a fairly decent bottom pairing D for the Coilers (at least one of the few that knew how to play defense).  Toronto has made some oddball decisions on their blueline (ie., see the role Polak has).  But I can't really question the moves of Babcock (though I still scratch my head - and no I use Head & Shoulders so it's not dandruff).

I wasn't surprised at all when the trade happened. I was one of very few ppl who thought CS could get traded over Luongo. Most ppl laughed at that suggestion but it was easy to read the way the situation was developing. 

Canucks were starting a rebuild, willingly or not. One of the goalies had to go and no one wanted Luongo's contract. Canucks needed that future piece in Horvat. I think it was a win win trade for both teams. They both got a player they needed. 

Fair trade if Schneider bounces back, and gives NJD a few more seasons of Vezina quality play.

13-14: 1.97 GAA .921 Sv%
14-15: 2.26 GAA .925 Sv%
15-16: 2.15 GAA .924 Sv%

He has been horrible the last two years, but I think he can bounce back, he looked great in the playoffs when he came in for Kinkaid.

I wasn't upset when it happened, I was a little peeved we didn't take the superior deal that Edmonton offered but otherwise I was fine getting a top 10 pick for him. And in hindsight it looks like a great deal overall. Bo is a beast and arguably the most valuable piece to our next core.

Even if they couldn't squeeze maximum value out of Schneider, you have to give credit to the Canucks management for absolutely nailing the pick. Outside of maybe Morrissey or Zadorov, I wouldn't trade Horvat for any of the 2013 first round picks after him.

Love Bo glad he is on the team but 5 years later NJ still got the better player.  That might change but I doubt it CS was a top 5 goalie In the league I have my doubts Bo is ever a top 5 center in the league.

I'm still happy to have Bo especially now as he fits our plans better now but at the time Bo for CS NJ robbed us. 

All that being said I was never upset with the trade given our Goalie situation at the time we were trapped between a rock and a hard place and got what we could.

1 minute ago, thrago said:

Love Bo glad he is on the team but 5 years later NJ still got the better player.  That might change but I doubt it CS was a top 5 goalie In the league I have my doubts Bo is ever a top 5 center in the league.

I'm still happy to have Bo especially now as he fits our plans better now but at the time Bo for CS NJ robbed us. 

All that being said I was never upset with the trade given our Goalie situation at the time we were trapped between a rock and a hard place and got what we could.

Schneider is one of those crumble under the pressure guys.  He was fine here, with Lou taking all the pressure.  In Jersey he was fine until there was pressure to win because the team was getting better.  Then His true colours showed.  Schneider can’t play on a winning team.  He can’t handle it.  Something wrong up in the head.  

19 minutes ago, thrago said:

The only sensible solution was a Luongo buyout.  We're still suffering the consequences of Gillis' stupidity and it's going to get real ugly once Luongo retires.

35 minutes ago, thrago said:

No, they didn't. Bo is a beast, yet some people still underrate him.

Archived