The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What Would it Take to Trade Up to the #3 Pick?

Just now, aGENT said:

Yes, you were chasing your tail on this in another thread. They want to rebuild but they're still competing and they're not moving vets. They say they have cap space but they actually have very little. They're signing Top4 D UFA's but they don't actually have cap....

They're not going to do any better in free agency than Tanev at $2.225 (top 4 D) and Gagner at $1.575. And replacing Anisimov might actually free up enough cap to let them fill/tweak a couple other holes this summer on top of bringing in Scmaltz etc.

It's not me saying it - it's them.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

It's not me saying it - it's them.

Well the Sun Times need a math lesson. I don't really care what CHI's PR team is saying either :lol:

Reality says that currently they're 6 guys under a full roster on CF with roughly $6m +/- of space (likely going up to $9'ish with a cap increase) to fill those holes. Including the aforementioned top 4 D (that's likely $4.5m+ right there in free agency). And a bunch of RFA's due raises. And apparently a goalie upgrade/depth as well.

They basically HAVE to move Anisimov to have any hope of actually acquiring that top 4D in free agency. 

I'd imagine that in that scenario, Tanev at just over $2m would look REALLY attractive (and he'd be a hell of a fit there IMO). If they can pull off a move like that AND move Anisimov, they're laughing.

A time machine to go back in time and throw the last two games of the season. Jokes aside I’d entertain the idea of moving up to 3rd before the draft starts! Just in preparation to see if Carolina actually does pass on Svechnikov. See if their Russian hate is real. If this happens that pick probably gets more expensive.

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's possible Benning gets a better player at #7 than MTL gets at #3, I know, weird.

Very true.  We might very well get a better player than the one chosen at two as well.  We will just have to wait a year, two, or even three to see our guy develop.  I'm open to waiting for a guy who will develop into a better player, than getting someone who gets only a bit better, but plays earlier.  

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well the Sun Times need a math lesson. I don't really care what CHI's PR team is saying either :lol:

Reality says that currently they're 6 guys under a full roster on CF with roughly $6m +/- of space (likely going up to $9'ish with a cap increase) to fill those holes. Including the aforementioned top 4 D (that's likely $4.5m+ right there in free agency). And a bunch of RFA's due raises. And apparently a goalie upgrade/depth as well.

They basically HAVE to move Anisimov to have any hope of actually acquiring that top 4D in free agency. 

I'd imagine that in that scenario, Tanev at just over $2m would look REALLY attractive (and he'd be a hell of a fit there IMO). If they can pull off a move like that AND move Anisimov, they're laughing.

It's actually Bowman that says they have cap space.  It's also him that says they are not moving their 4 veterans.  I can find you that article.  

I haven't looked into their cap situation but it's been the headlines of different articles - 'Chicago has cap space to do something big this summer'.   Craig Custance believes that they will be a major player in free agency although Lazerus thinks short-term UFAs per the tweet I posted.  Guess we'll see. 

They had a large cap overage mostly from Panarin's bonuses that used up about 3.5M in cap space this past season.  That's probably in part why they look to have more cap space this coming season with also the cap increase - in April projection was 80M.  

Hossa is on IR per CapFriendly and using LTIR could create an additional 5M.  

7 minutes ago, mll said:

It's actually Bowman that says they have cap space.  It's also him that says they are not moving their 4 veterans.  I can find you that article.  

I haven't looked into their cap situation but it's been the headlines of different articles - 'Chicago has cap space to do something big this summer'.   Craig Custance believes that they will be a major player in free agency although Lazerus thinks short-term UFAs per the tweet I posted.  Guess we'll see. 

They had a large cap overage mostly from Panarin's bonuses that used up about 3.5M in cap space this past season.  That's probably in part why they look to have more cap space this coming season with also the cap increase - in April projection was 80M.  

They are correct, they don't "Need" to move anyone from a cap standpoint. With Hossa off the books, they have about 11.5 million with 16 signed, before the increase. They don't have any major contracts to renegotiate, I would expect them to be fairly aggressive this July 1st, they could probably make a play for Tavares and fit him in with some minor shuffling.

They have a few guys who under performed, including Saad who pulled 6 million. They have options to make it under cap next season with some strong improvements from free agency.

That said, I think they should totally look at moving Seabrook if they have the opportunity. I think he is quickly moving into his best before date.

I like how the Jets have built their team. For years they were adding piece by piece, and developing those players. And this year, they made a splash. They'll be good next year too, and the year after that. Whereas a team like EDM gets a high pick and stick him in the lineup right away and then they try to make the playoffs, putting all kinds of pressure on the young players. Canucks are stocking the shelves, and it's looking pretty good. Just a couple more high end pieces and they should be ready to make a splash too.  I figure Benning has one, maybe two, more years with a Top 10 pick, so he needs to make the #7 count.

I think with a possible future Top 6 of:

Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser

Dahlen - Pettersson - Lind

...the Canucks need more size/grit in their Top 6, which is why I'm hoping for Tkachuk. They need to be tougher to play against. Tkachuk could probably make the team next year. If some are concerned with his skating, remember Bo wasn't a great skater either, but he worked on it.

It's not a good idea.  I know this forum has lots of people who like to do the basket of spare parts for a star type trade.

But in reality to trade for any of the top picks would take something of actual value.  

48 minutes ago, mll said:

I'll grant you Hossa. Though they still have to be compliant with him on the roster before they can put him on IR for relief.

Still don't see why they wouldn't be VERY interested in Tanev @ 50% though. Fits their needs to a T and would give them all the more flexibility with cap. Could even entertain keeping Anisimov and playing him or Shultz on W.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's possible Benning gets a better player at #7 than MTL gets at #3, I know, weird.

Same can be said for just about any pick in the first couple rounds. 1st overall looks like a sure fire star player.  After that it’s a crapshoot.  

13 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

This draft may be the first in years where there's actually movement in the top 10, and a team that's seems likely to trade down is Montreal. They need a center most of all, and there isn't a pure center projected to go in the top 5, unless they look at Tkachuk or Wahlstrom as potential centers. However, Kotkaniemi is said to be the only 'pure' center that will go high, but he seems to be a reach at #3.

I'm wondering what the price would be if Montreal wanted to trade down with us and still get their guy in Kotkaniemi. 

We could have our pick of a defenseman, or just go ahead and draft Zadina or Svechnikov. Hughes and Tkachuk probably won't fall to us... we can go ahead and draft them too. 

Would you trade up if the opportunity is there? Or would you stay where we are and hope someone falls to us?

Give them Tanev and take Svech or Zadina.

40 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'll grant you Hossa. Though they still have to be compliant with him on the roster before they can put him on IR for relief.

Still don't see why they wouldn't be VERY interested in Tanev @ 50% though. Fits their needs to a T and would give them all the more flexibility with cap. Could even entertain keeping Anisimov and playing him or Shultz on W.

They can also exceed the cap up to his cap hit and already add his replacement to the roster and then put him on LTIR to get them back under the cap. 

Bowman has never picked that high before - his highest was 18th.  Can't see him moving that pick or giving up a top prospect.  Tanev is also only signed for 2 seasons and can't agree on an extension before 1 July in a year.  

Archived