The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens re-sign Antti Niemi

55 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I'm in awe of Niemi's ability to keep drawing pay cheques from NHL teams.

Have a look at his stats with Montreal.  

2.46 gaa, .929 sv%. $950k 

by comparison 

Markstrom 2.71 gaa. .912 sv% $3.67m

Nilsson 3.44 gaa  .901 sv% $2.5m

I’d say he earned his 1 year contract.  

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Have a look at his stats with Montreal.  

2.46 gaa, .929 sv%. $950k 

by comparison 

Markstrom 2.71 gaa. .912 sv% $3.67m

Nilsson 3.44 gaa  .901 sv% $2.5m

I’d say he earned his 1 year contract.  

Then you go ahead and look at the games played:

Niemi: 19 games

Markstrom: 60 games

Nilsson: 27 games

Just now, Pears said:

Yup.  Just saying he was a solid backup in Montreal and $950k is a totally reasonable contract for the numbers he put up.  If he carries on like that I’d rather him as a backup than Nilsson 

4 hours ago, Pears said:

put niemi in front of our d corp  watch him have way worse numbers  our d corp is horrible  bottom 4 in league 

4 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

put niemi in front of our d corp  watch him have way worse numbers  our d corp is horrible  bottom 4 in league 

How do you know?   Your top 4 guys didn't play with each other barely at all last year.  The few games they did, things actually looked pretty good.  Guddy/Edler, for example, was a really strong pairing actually.   

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

How do you know?   Your top 4 guys didn't play with each other barely at all last year.  The few games they did, things actually looked pretty good.  Guddy/Edler, for example, was a really strong pairing actually.   

guddy and edler are great 

tanev is a glass house  i meant we have the  4th worse dcorp in league its horrible and soft 

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

guddy and edler are great 

tanev is a glass house  i meant we have the  4th worse dcorp in league its horrible and soft 

Again, when your top 4 were present, Canucks were actually a plus team and trending towards 95ish points.....not sure how horrible that is.   You say "soft", well, they were up there in the league in terms of hits from the back end. 

As far as glass, some bad luck for Tanev for sure.    Luck tends to pinch/swell so perhaps he can have a couple of nice healthy seasons coming up!   :)

42 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Again, when your top 4 were present, Canucks were actually a plus team and trending towards 95ish points.....not sure how horrible that is.   You say "soft", well, they were up there in the league in terms of hits from the back end. 

As far as glass, some bad luck for Tanev for sure.    Luck tends to pinch/swell so perhaps he can have a couple of nice healthy seasons coming up!   :)

When your offence struggles it puts big pressure on the d-core. It ends up on the tenders as well as their d-core scrambles. Nielson had a nice tourny at the World's. Glad for him. 

4 hours ago, canuktravella said:

Montreal's defence aren't exactly world beaters. 

Archived