The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ingredients for successful playoff team

Deathbyoompa

To be truly successful in the playoffs, and I mean hoisting-the-cup successful, at least in this new NHL, you need one key element above-all else:

...to be an American franchise

It starts with having the right core players and then adding quality depth. 

The framework or foundation, in order:

1. An elite number 1 centre. This is the single most important piece. (H. Sedin during our cup run - EP in the future)
2. An elite winger who can put the puck in the net (D. Sedin during our cup run - Brock Boeser)
3. An elite number 1 defenseman (Ehrhoff finished 6th in Norris voting during our cup run but probably could have been better here - not sure if OJ can be this guy)
4. A strong 2nd line centre (Kesler during our cup run - Bo Horvat)

5. A goaltender who can stop the puck, but doesn't need to be elite (We had Luongo - confident TD can be our guy)

6. Cup winning teams have 4 elite players and one really good player (Sedins, Luongo, Kesler - for the future we have EP, Boeser, Horvat, and hopefully TD, still missing a dman).
7. A solid core of the mentioned is more important than depth, but depth is more important than any single player (players like Torres, Hansen, Higgins, played a huge role in our run - I believe Jake Virtanen is going to be a very important depth player for us, also Sutter is the type of veteran depth you want). 

I can see OJ being a complimentary #2 guy but what we really need is that #1 defenseman then surrounding that core with quality depth players. I think that is truly the only missing piece from our future core. 

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

1. An elite number 1 centre. This is the single most important piece. (H. Sedin during our cup run - EP in the future)
2. An elite winger who can put the puck in the net (D. Sedin during our cup run - Brock Boeser)
3. An elite number 1 defenseman (Ehrhoff finished 6th in Norris voting during our cup run but probably could have been better here - not sure if OJ can be this guy)

5. A goaltender who can stop the puck, but doesn't need to be elite (We had Luongo - confident TD can be our guy)

6. Cup winning teams have 4 elite players and one really good player (Sedins, Luongo, Kesler - for the future we have EP, Boeser, Horvat, and hopefully TD, still missing a dman).
7. A solid core of the mentioned is more important than depth, but depth is more important than any single player (players like Torres, Hansen, Higgins, played a huge role in our run - I believe Jake Virtanen is going to be a very important depth player for us, also Sutter is the type of veteran depth you want). 

I can see OJ being a complimentary #2 guy but what we really need is that #1 defenseman then surrounding that core with quality depth players. I think that is truly the only missing piece from our future core. 

All this plus team speed, team toughness and hunger.  From what I've watched depth guys like Tuch and Nosek have been battlers and Alex is 4th in playoff scoring for them, only behind the "big" line (Marchessault - Karlsson - Smith).

Which leads to my next point: guys with big hearts and who play big can out-duel guys who are bigger.  Case in point their outplaying the Jets. 

All the teams that make the playoffs are pretty good teams these days.

At least all good enough to be able to get hot and take any particular series.

Being hot and healthy is most important.  

Getting to the playoffs you need to be consistent. 

Luck of the draw too.  Playoff matchups, upsets in other series. Some years you just get an easy path to the finals.

You need at least a few of your top players and probably most of your secondary players to be able to elevate their game at playoff time. Players who plateau during the regular season dont often or ever get their team to the Stanley Cup.

Look at the final 4 this year

Winnipeg, Washington, Tampa and Vegas

Skill, Size, tenacity, unwavering drive, goaltending, depth, character......commitment throughout the line up

All have built their teams a little different, yet all/were there.......

when people say it takes years to build......I think it does in most cases.......

Vegas's case it is a little different in how they developed it, but yet, in the end, they have the same qualities

15 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

So like Chicago who FAILED TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS? :lol:

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Look at the final 4 this year

Winnipeg, Washington, Tampa and Vegas

Skill, Size, tenacity, unwavering drive, goaltending, depth, character......commitment throughout the line up

All have built their teams a little different, yet all/were there.......

when people say it takes years to build......I think it does in most cases.......

Vegas's case it is a little different in how they developed it, but yet, in the end, they have the same qualities

This exactly! A team can be made up of draft picks, FA's, trades but in the end, its what you end up with is all that matters and Vegas is a perfect example of that. These guys who say we are years and years from being contenders make me laugh. The Cap Era has brought teams a lot closer in parity then in years past.

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

This exactly! A team can be made up of draft picks, FA's, trades but in the end, its what you end up with is all that matters and Vegas is a perfect example of that. These guys who say we are years and years from being contenders make me laugh. The Cap Era has brought teams a lot closer in parity then in years past.

Well yes.....which is why I had shouted that the Canucks should be in the hunt for Evander Kane (too late evidently), but only in terms of free agency.......Kane would have been equivalent  to a top 5 draft pick that turned out.......How many of this years top 5 are guaranteed? This in lays one of the problems of CDC.......we listen to gossip and react......

All reports out of SJ, was that Kane was a professional, inside and outside of the locker room, but for some reason........we have to believe that  the worst......

FF to today, because Kane is yesterdays news, and I wonder where and when we should use our cap? I am not in favour in spending it on middle of the road hockey players and would much rather go after a couple of good UFA's when the time is right??? 

51 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well yes.....which is why I had shouted that the Canucks should be in the hunt for Evander Kane (too late evidently), but only in terms of free agency.......Kane would have been equivalent  to a top 5 draft pick that turned out.......How many of this years top 5 are guaranteed? This in lays one of the problems of CDC.......we listen to gossip and react......

All reports out of SJ, was that Kane was a professional, inside and outside of the locker room, but for some reason........we have to believe that  the worst......

FF to today, because Kane is yesterdays news, and I wonder where and when we should use our cap? I am not in favour in spending it on middle of the road hockey players and would much rather go after a couple of good UFA's when the time is right??? 

I would like to see us acquire FA 's who are younger and fill needs. What do we need? Dmen with offensive upside, Bigger, stronger ,faster forwards with offensive upside and goalie to get us to Demko.

On 5/22/2018 at 11:39 AM, Deathbyoompa said:

First off I would like to thank a whole bunch of posters over in prospects thread. Very informative for the most part. Special thanks to Sid is me and vintage Canuck. Excellent info put forth by both. 

Mostly curious what cdc’ers view as essential playoff ingredients?

These are the things I believe are necessary to achieve a deep run.

1. Goaltending (good to elite)

2. A top 6 that produces 

3. Grittiness throughout line up.

4. Secondary scoring from bottom 6( 1 of whom needs to step up like a Claude Lemieux type playoff performer)

5. Top 4 dmen (3&4 great, 1&2 great to elite)

6. Good coaching

7. Good old fashion luck, hockey gods favour, good bounces whatever ya want to call it.

Are you f.... kidding me.....

1. Goaltending (good to elite)   -   Canucks do not have it. Last year we had a 2A and 2B goalie tandem

2. A top 6 that produces           -   Canucks did not have a top 3 last year.   NONE.

3. Grittiness throughout line up.  -  Canucks have almost no grit on their entire team  - Forwards or D.  

4. Secondary scoring from bottom 6   -   Canucks bottom six had nothing after Dorset was hurt.

5. Top 4 dmen (3&4 great, 1&2 great to elite)   -   Canucks top 4 D  are terrible.   A washed up Edler is the best we have... or a always hurt Tanev......

6. Good coaching    -       This may be a strength on the Nucks.   TG seems to get the most from his players.

7. Good old fashion luck, hockey gods favour, good bounces whatever ya want to call it.  -  Canucks since year 1 have had the worst luck of any NHL franchise.

Canucks may have  a few decent prospects but lets be intellectually honest and admit we are at least 5 years away from making a  playoff run. 

No worries.  Our club needs alot more work put into it.  Lets get to it. Lets build a Stanley Cup club.  Patience. 

Draft and Develop. Trade  older assets for younger picks/prospects.   

Canucks can do it but it will take time. 

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

1. Goaltending (good to elite)   -   Canucks do not have it. Last year we had a 2A and 2B goalie tandem

2. A top 6 that produces           -   Canucks did not have a top 3 last year.   NONE.

3. Grittiness throughout line up.  -  Canucks have almost no grit on their entire team  - Forwards or D.  

4. Secondary scoring from bottom 6   -   Canucks bottom six had nothing after Dorset was hurt.

5. Top 4 dmen (3&4 great, 1&2 great to elite)   -   Canucks top 4 D  are terrible.   A washed up Edler is the best we have... or a always hurt Tanev......

6. Good coaching    -       This may be a strength on the Nucks.   TG seems to get the most from his players.

7. Good old fashion luck, hockey gods favour, good bounces whatever ya want to call it.  -  Canucks since year 1 have had the worst luck of any NHL franchise.

Canucks may have  a few decent prospects but lets be intellectually honest and admit we are at least 5 years away from making a  playoff run. 

No worries.  Our club needs alot more work put into it.  Lets get to it. Lets build a Stanley Cup club.  Patience. 

Uhhh you’ve quoted what I thought a team needs for a cup run. Nowhere in this quote do I mention the canucks have any of these things.  Second half of my post you’ll find where I think we are and your correct we aren’t close yet.

I will disagree with your take on nucks team toughness. We do have some players at least willing to take a hit to make plays and going to the dirty areas. Could we use some more heavy hitters? Sure but, more in the vien of Wilson types who can play physical but still play.

13 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think I have asked you this before but how do you get this "we are at least 5 years away from making a  playoff run"? 

Then you can answer the question of how much different we are from Vegas aside from the obvious that we don't have a Fleury. 

We are in a "cap era" where basically if you don't draft certain players you can trade for them or acquire them from free agency. 

I understand we are not as deep as some of the other teams in the league but we have options with so much Cap Space available since the Twins retirement. 

There are more and more of the top teams spending their cap space on a couple of players and will soon have players available that they cannot keep because of cap space issues. Who do you think is going to prosper from this?

Also are you saying our prospects that we have been developing are all going to be busts? or..... That they are all going to take 5 years to develop? 

I really believe that the retirement of the Twins is going to be a turning point and we can finally add pieces to the puzzle which are going to take this team to the next level. With them around, I believe the team was in neutral and waiting until they can take that next step.

Next year is going to be the transition period(Demko,Pettersson etc. getting their feet wet and "New" Leaders stepping up) and I can see them gradually getting better and better after that, not in 5 years.

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I think I have asked you this before but how do you get this "we are at least 5 years away from making a  playoff run"? 

Then you can answer the question of how much different we are from Vegas aside from the obvious that we don't have a Fleury. 

We are in a "cap era" where basically if you don't draft certain players you can trade for them or acquire them from free agency. 

I understand we are not as deep as some of the other teams in the league but we have options with so much Cap Space available since the Twins retirement. 

There are more and more of the top teams spending their cap space on a couple of players and will soon have players available that they cannot keep because of cap space issues. Who do you think is going to prosper from this?

Also are you saying our prospects that we have been developing are all going to be busts? or..... That they are all going to take 5 years to develop? 

I really believe that the retirement of the Twins is going to be a turning point and we can finally add pieces to the puzzle which are going to take this team to the next level. With them around, I believe the team was in neutral and waiting until they can take that next step.

Next year is going to be the transition period(Demko,Pettersson etc. getting their feet wet and "New" Leaders stepping up) and I can see them gradually getting better and better after that, not in 5 years.

Prospects need probably 5 yrs to get to their ceiling in development.

Canucks will not go deep in the playoffs until our new prospects hit their prime.

We are still years....... away from a real playoff run.

Patience Canuck fans... we need patience.   Draft and develop.   Try to move older assets at the TDL for inflated value.... cough cough.. SUTTER, EDLER or  TANEV.

to win in the playoffs you need to be able to roll 4 lines , top flight d man  , shut down dman  , a big gritty winger  a bonafide number 1 center,  goal scorers that don't disappear during the playoffs , a goalie that can stand on his head and the most important thing gary buttman  gone from the nhl 

Archived