The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Three UFA D Pursuit Proposals

Middle of the night, jet-lagged and nothing better than posting something inane.   Here goes, three Dmen that are pending NHL UFAs on 1 July that I think the Canucks should consider pursuing if their teams don't re-sign them and/or the players want to test the market.   Two played more than 70 games and Cole nearly that many and are much better than their stats suggest.   These are for the 5-6 guys that Vancouver needs to upgrade and push even into 3-4.   Here goes along with some stuff about each...none would break the bank:

John Moore - NJD

27 years old

Shoots L

2017 -18 Cap Hit = $1,666,668

6'3" about 210 lbs and plays big

Can score and has in career.  Very responsible.  Mobile for a big guy. 

Had 135 hits and 105 blocks in 81 games last year.   18 points.

Greg Pateryn - Dallas

27 years old

Shoots R

2017 -18 Cap Hit = $800,000

6'3" and about 220 lbs and plays big

Strong skater, not the most creative player but can chip in.   Very responsible.  Shut-down potential.

155 hits and 148 blocks in 73 games.  13 points.

Ian Cole - CBJ

29 years old

Shoots L

2017-18 Cap Hit = $2,100,000

6'1" 220 lbs and, again, plays big

Least mobile of the three but very responsible.   Can chip in a little offence.

95 hits and 116 blocks in 67 games.   20 points.

All three were plus players.   All three would seemingly be an upgrade for Vancouver without any surrender of personnel assets....just cap space.   Any one of them in the roster going into next season makes the Canucks D look at little more "supported" after the top 4.

Slag away!   

Last thing the Canucks need right now is a LHD.

Edler

DelZotto

Pouliot

Hutton

They will need to trade LHD just to get Juolevi in there.  Unless JB goes out a rips off a top pairing RHD via GM sleep trading I'm pretty alright with just letting the current D corps simmer. Stetcher, Hutton, Pouliot, Gud are in no way a bad bottom 4 in fact they are a pretty decent bottom 4 the problem is that Edler and Tanev are only realistically a second pairing on a decent team and we have no one to supplant them at this time. Adding more depth to the D won't help.

13 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

well we need a player or D man that is around 22 to 25 max going forward, someone 27 plus will not help when our team rounds out as the D would be 30 plus when the team is good

Was not considering any of these foundation pieces for the next Cup run.   This was a way to solidify the Dcorp and push some to either improve or move on (or out).   I think both L guys on the list are better than anyone outside Vans top 4 and could assist in a nice gradual induction for Juolevi.   I think Pateryn is a REALLY nice fit and if Canucks trade Tanev for youth/pick he can be a nice bridge piece.    

All three play the game the "right way" and are good in the faster NHL and can hit and block shots.   

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

what annual amount and term would you be prepared to pay for each of them ?

and why would they choose vancouver?

more info please

otherwise i am intrigued by the 3 dmen you list

I think you could likely get one of them on a two year deal - Pateryn perhaps at $1.5 and and $2.0 or similar.   Moore likely would take about $2.5.   Cole would have to take similar to existing contract but rumour is CBJ is not going to break bank for him with their other priorities - but he is the one "name" that teams like Edmonton may be very interested in.   I view Cole as the longest shot.   Pateryn is my personal key target.   He can skate, hit and is a big guy with some attitude (in the right way).

If Benning decides to try and find a taker for Gudbranson then maybe gun for Pateryn.  

Agreed about the lefty imbalance though, Edler already takes the major minutes and showed that he still has some gas in the tank, and I think it's too early to write-off Hutton or Pouliot (moreso the former) since Ben's underlying stats are actually pretty good on defense.  That and someone's gotta score and we could see to shore up center ice before adding redundant pieces.

I've been talking about Cole for awhile. Trading MDZ would not hurt us in the slightest. Juolevi gets a year in Utica. That leaves an L side opening for Cole. Call it 2.5M x 2yr for him.

Pateryn, I hadn't thought of, but actually makes more sense than Cole, given our current depth. For him, call it 1.5-2M x 3yr.

9 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Was not considering any of these foundation pieces for the next Cup run.   This was a way to solidify the Dcorp and push some to either improve or move on (or out).   I think both L guys on the list are better than anyone outside Vans top 4 and could assist in a nice gradual induction for Juolevi.   I think Pateryn is a REALLY nice fit and if Canucks trade Tanev for youth/pick he can be a nice bridge piece.    

All three play the game the "right way" and are good in the faster NHL and can hit and block shots.   

Is this another trade Tanev thread?

There are 3 D in question as I see it.  Hutton, Pouliot and Gudbranson.  Don't know about Pouliot, but Hutton at least, has been told in exit interviews to raise his fitness and work on his edges.  He and Pouliot will get a chance to respond.  Then there's Juolevi who should be ready for the NHL within the next 12-18 months.  MDZ is the veteran help on the left.

On the right side, I want to see a healthy Gudbranson.  He paired nicely with Edler who was comfortable playing more physically.  

So I see Benning standing pat on D.   Their top 8 I would call serviceable.

Will they get slammed with injuries again?  Is it just me or have the last 3 years been some of the worst ever for the Canucks?

9 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

thats the one I'd like to see. He could really slot in anywhere from 6-8 depending on how things go and who gets traded. We have enough going on with the left side even if one of Del Zotto or Hutton is moved. Given our cap space Jim could basically double his salary to 1.5 mil on a 1 year deal and not blink an eye. We also have zero RHD depth on the farm. 

But Biega is also serviceable in that 7/8 spot so Jim doesn't have to go crazy with term. 

Just checking out Dallas D group... its not exactly chocked full of depth for next year. Maybe there's a new home there for Hutton or Del Zotto as well? 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/stars

They also need a backup goalie. What about a trade instead - Del Zotto and Nilsson for Stephen Johns (big RHD) and their CHI 4th rounder? 

I like Greg Pateryn.  Big, mean defenseman and I've always been amazed of his skating ability. Also right-handed.

We'd have to offload one of Hutton, Gudbranson, and quite possibly Pouliot.

Though I'd just hold on to them. Let's give Gudbranson one more season to show us what he brings barring another injury riddled season. And let's see how Hutton does in training camp and see how he's improved. I can sense a resurgence season for the both of them considering it might be their last chance.

I would go de haan or sustr before those guys

one thing is for certain, the canucks can not come back with the same 8

edler-gudbranson

del zotto-stecher

hutton-tanev

pouliot- biega

joulevi* 

thats pretty vanilla with no reason for optimism 

40 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Is this another trade Tanev thread?

There are 3 D in question as I see it.  Hutton, Pouliot and Gudbranson.  Don't know about Pouliot, but Hutton at least, has been told in exit interviews to raise his fitness and work on his edges.  He and Pouliot will get a chance to respond.  Then there's Juolevi who should be ready for the NHL within the next 12-18 months.  MDZ is the veteran help on the left.

On the right side, I want to see a healthy Gudbranson.  He paired nicely with Edler who was comfortable playing more physically.  

So I see Benning standing pat on D.   Their top 8 I would call serviceable.

Will they get slammed with injuries again?  Is it just me or have the last 3 years been some of the worst ever for the Canucks?

Nope, I LIKE Tanev.   Tanev/Guddy/Edler are three "locks" in my opinion unless you trade one.    Then things get a bit fuzzy to me.   I like Juolevi coming in as a number 6/7 for this first taste of the NHL but I could see substituting MDZ/Pouliot/Hutton with any of those two LDs.   Troy needs to be pushed as and another RD in the system would help that.    

I agree "serviceable" but if you can do a UFA upgrade and use one of those others for a trading chip for a draft pick.....say a 3rd or 4th, why not?   Incremental improvements can be just important as big ones.   :)

Hey Zepp

First off, welcome back! And thanks for the reports you sent.

Back to the post................here is where I have a problem........first off I get we need to improve our Defense

But I wonder, why we are not trying to promote from within?

LHD

Brisebois

McEney

Sautner

RHD

Chattfield

All need to be given a chance to show their wares...............

In Sautner's case, he came up last year and show very well in the last few games he played...simple game, positional, and aggressive.......

I think McEneny will be waiver eligible this year......use or loose

This is my complaint of the Canucks, that they are not giving these guys a chance.......both Edler and Tanev started on the farm, and got a few games 

the first year and then put on the big club

Before just adding players.......what are your thoughts on out own players(prospects)?

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Have you told @inane that you've used his name in vain?  :emot-parrot::emot-parrot::emot-parrot::gocan:

He has @Jimmy McGill on the case - apparently Jimmy does copyright infringement law too.   My only hope is he gets arrested at a Kinder Morgan anti-pipeline rally so he misses the court date.   Fingers crossed.

Archived