The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[The Value of] Antoine Roussel to the Vancouver Canucks

Q  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Antoine had a down season point wise in Dallas this year only recording 5 goals and 17 points. In his four previous seasons he averaged between 12-14 goals and 25-29 points per season. So Antoine production has dropped but his phyiscal play has continued to be a big factor of his success.  

In our final game vs Dallas this past season we saw 2 back to back shifts where he displayed his physical tools at his finest.  I recall him making 4 big impact hits in a single shift.  I believe he is the type of player who could compliment our youth quite well.

He is a Ufa this offseason and has been an impactful forward for the stars for a few years now. A positive sign the year before this past where he struggled. He managed to match his point totals in 60 games compared to the high 70s / low 80s games played. 

Overall he has remained relatively healthy and he is by no means a slow player. I believe he would fit in great alongside Sutter in a shutdown or third line capacity. Envisioning Antoine and Jake on the same line makes me salavate.

Tell me what you think. Could he be a good addition and possibly even a replacement for Derrick Dorsetts team protection skills.  Fairly Fast, physical, and can pot the odd goal. Someone mentioned we may of been the team who had him at our camps in the past.

Please post what you know if that is indeed the case.

42 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Antoine had a down season point wise in Dallas this year only recording 5 goals and 17 points. In his four previous seasons he averaged between 12-14 goals and 25-29 points per season. So Antoine production has dropped but his phyiscal play has continued to be a big factor of his success.  

In our final game vs Dallas this past season we saw 2 back to back shifts where he displayed his physical tools at his finest.  I recall him making 4 big impact hits in a single shift.  I believe he is the type of player who could compliment our youth quite well.

He is a Ufa this offseason and has been an impactful forward for the stars for a few years now. A positive sign the year before this past where he struggled. He managed to match his point totals in 60 games compared to the high 70s / low 80s games played. 

Overall he has remained relatively healthy and he is by no means a slow player. I believe he would fit in great alongside Sutter in a shutdown or third line capacity. Envisioning Antoine and Jake on the same line makes me salavate.

Tell me what you think. Could he be a good addition and possibly even a replacement for Derrick Dorsetts team protection skills.  Fairly Fast, physical, and can pot the odd goal. Someone mentioned we may of been the team who had him at our camps in the past.

Please post what you know if that is indeed the case.

He can skate.   He can shoot.   He has good teammate written all over him.    Only thing is he may be made redundant if Virtanen takes another step and a few others in the pipeline can catch on with the big club.

I'm not entirely against Roussel but I don't see him as a true deterrent.  The guy has some skill and is a major pest.  Sure he might jump a guy on the other team if liberties are taken on our skilled players, but his agitating style of play is not necessarily a deterrent and may even instigate liberties to be taken against our skilled guys. 

To be honest, I would prefer to have physical forwards who can skate but who aren't quite as agitating.  It's good to have a bit of an edge throughout the line up (perhaps something Leipsic can do more of next season), but I think the team needs less distraction and more straight ahead physicality.

Not that any of these guys are going to change the team's fortunes around single handedly, but I could see management trying to sign players like Jordan Nolan, Jared Boll, Matt Hendricks, etc. to provide some veteran depth and physicality to the lineup.  Archibald played well during his stint last season but I think he has to be more of a physical deterrent to stick.

34 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

&^@# no!

We don't need a dirtbag

He plays hard but doesn't have the worst reputation at all.   He takes things to the limit but not as an intent to injure guy or a "licker" etc.    Chatter about him says he is a good teammate.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Roussel is a good addition, but to a team that needs sandpaper in the playoffs in the next 3 years.

So, not the Canucks.

Interesting.   I think the Canucks will be knocking at the playoff door within 3 years.    I say this in looking at other teams in the West and their likely cycles, the CAP space the Canucks are trending to have over that period and projecting impact from current young NHL players on team and some modest influx from new players (like OJ/EP/TD).   No one, me least of all, knows what could have been but it was interesting that the 30ish games that the Canucks were relatively healthy, they were nicely above .500 and projected to borderline playoff spot.   Seems to me with a more normal year on the injury front, the growth of key young players like Guddy, Horvat, Virtanen etc., some more consistent goaltending and the integration of more youth over the coming years I see no reason the Canucks will not be knocking on the door within that 3 year window.   Further, there is a nice batch of UFAs projected this year and the next two that can make a big difference to a team (and I don't mean the big ticket ones, Vegas showed what "stuck" players can do when brought together).

Anyway, will be fun to find out.   My personal projection for Vancouver is another year outside and then very close if not in for the following season.

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Roussel? When?

I think our young players need someone like this. 

With him out there they won't key on our young stars.

He went to a Canucks prospect camp for the 2011-12 season and ended up playing for the Wolves, our affiliate at the time for one season and wasn't re-signed.

I'm looking at our left side next year. We have a lot of tweener forwards especially on the left side.  I'm curious if his speed/physical sandpaper type of hockey might compliment our young skill guys like Boeser, Pettersson, Goldobin better then say a baercheese.  

Roussell on a line with Sutter and Jake would be quite intriguing. Imagine.

Lepisic Horvat Boeser

Goldobin ufa Pettersson

Roussell Sutter Virtanen/Eriksson

X Gaudette Gagner

Figuring out who's on left wing and what order is the real question. If Pettersson makes it does Jake fall back to line 3 or do they put him on the left wing with Pettersson. So many variables. We have a lot of slight fast skill guys who are ok nhlers.  I'm curious if a more physical presence to go with Jake, Guddy, and whomever else might help. Say a fitter Hutton.

Roussel is not really a deterrent, and will probably bring on more problems if he tries to be a dirt bag (as i have seen him be in Dallas).  Why not go for the elite level deterrent and sign Ryan Reaves.  Ive been on the reaves bandwagon for a while.  He is arguably the toughest meanest guy in the league, and just having him on the bench will curb a large portion of the stupidities that might be directed at the likes of Boeser and Pettersson.  Roussel might get you 15 to 20 more points, but if we really want a guardian for the young guys i think we should go for the cream of the crop in terms of toughness...

52 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He plays hard but doesn't have the worst reputation at all.   He takes things to the limit but not as an intent to injure guy or a "licker" etc.    Chatter about him says he is a good teammate.

I am surprised you can say good things about AR while constantly bashing MTkachuk. Both dirtbags.

Some of these guys can dominate the dressing room and be a distraction to skilled players.....best to be careful with him and be sure you know what you are getting before going after him

8 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Roussel and Reaves

That would make us far more challenging to play for. That would also limit opportunity for kids but it might be best so we can protect the couple that do make the team.

3 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I am surprised you can say good things about AR while constantly bashing MTkachuk. Both dirtbags.

Different degree entirely.    Compare actual actions and histories.   AR wouldn't be my first choice either but in an entirely different league from MT.

Archived