The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[The Value of] Antoine Roussel to the Vancouver Canucks

Q  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Roussel is not really a deterrent, and will probably bring on more problems if he tries to be a dirt bag (as i have seen him be in Dallas).  Why not go for the elite level deterrent and sign Ryan Reaves.  Ive been on the reaves bandwagon for a while.  He is arguably the toughest meanest guy in the league, and just having him on the bench will curb a large portion of the stupidities that might be directed at the likes of Boeser and Pettersson.  Roussel might get you 15 to 20 more points, but if we really want a guardian for the young guys i think we should go for the cream of the crop in terms of toughness...

Perhaps a protection service by committee is key. Have multiple guys and one heavy weight to keep teams in check. Jets, king's, and ducks all seem to have a similar setup. Multiple big guys who can be seen as a deterrent instead of one individual.  Vegas does have Reaves but they also got Neal and some big D men like England and McNabb to compliment the skill.

I think people are confusing the role of an intimidating physical presence, as opposed to a physical player like Antoine Roussel. He's a pain in the ass to play against, and he'll bring that consistently whether or not our team is getting picked on, but what we need is someone who'll have the opponents thinking twice before taking a cheap shot against our young players. Roussel has no effect in that regard, he might actually have a sum negative effect because he plays on the edge, piss off the opponents enough to come after our players, and end up getting run out of our building without a response. We need physical intimidation, not agitation.

Roussel is not what we are looking for. I would not be opposed having him in the 4LW spot, but as long as we have someone else to provide intimidation aka Reaves/Peluso/Thorburn. All that said, if we want to bring in outside help we have to trade some of our forwards because we have too many bodies up front as is.

I've always liked Roussel.

I remember seeing him play for the Canucks during the preseason years ago and remembered him being an absolute standout in that preseason game as a tryout player. Was disappointed the Canucks let him walk after that and was happy he found NHL success with the Stars. He's absolutely the type of player the Canucks should sign July 1st. I have no problems with the Canucks targeting him. He'd be an upgrade on Archibald (who I also think should be re-signed) and would allow Archibald to be the 13th forward which is a good role for him to be in.

I don't think we need a guy whose purpose in life is to piss off other teams while we simultaneously lack any sort of physical pushback to do anything about it when the other team gets riled up and then takes cheap shots.

If Tryamkin and another monster on forward were here in conjunction with Gudbranson and another guy who can play like Smith-Pelly (etc) then I could see it rounding out as a nasty checking line.

11 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

No thanks to Roussel. This team has had enough POS on the roster in the last 10 years. 

If this teams management grows a pair, Reaves is the logical signing to make. 

What if Vegas offers him a deal and he prefers another crack at the cup?  Or does he see he likely wouldn't be an NHL regular during an 82 game stretch in Vegas?

10 minutes ago, apollo said:

I'm down. Lets get him. We need some sand paper. 

Aprox 2 mill

I got a feeling he's gonna get 2.5-2.6 in VAN if he signs lol. I feel ya tho. More phyiscal players can only help take the attention away from the kids. Let them focus on the big guys not try and take advantage of our smaller guys.

40 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

What if Vegas offers him a deal and he prefers another crack at the cup?  Or does he see he likely wouldn't be an NHL regular during an 82 game stretch in Vegas?

I guess that's a decision his agent and he would have to contemplate. If Vegas offers him a re-up I don't doubt that he will take it. 

2 hours ago, NHL'er said:

The villain is the just the hero of the enemy. Would love to have him be our villain. 

He’s too tough to play here. As of late we seem to like having guys who drop the gloves and get the $&!# kicked out of them. We like it when Del Zotto and the likes get cross checked in the Dave and everyone in the lineup turns the other cheek. 

11 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

He’s too tough to play here. As of late we seem to like having guys who drop the gloves and get the $&!# kicked out of them. We like it when Del Zotto and the likes get cross checked in the Dave and everyone in the lineup turns the other cheek. 

We have enforcer Sam "Gag"ner 

6 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Not that any of these guys are going to change the team's fortunes around single handedly, but I could see management trying to sign players like Jordan Nolan, Jared Boll, Matt Hendricks, etc. to provide some veteran depth and physicality to the lineup.

I'd be down for any of those guys, and add Reaves to the list.  Gudbranson can't be expected to be effective and healthy if he's our only reasonably tough guy.

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

darren-archibald-canucks.jpg?w=1024

darren-archibald-1040x572.jpg

Darren-Archibald-1024x798.jpg

Sometimes the most obvious answer isn't so obvious.

I liked him but his first steps need to become quicker if he wants a long nhl career. guy is slow maybe its his size but I'd think he could learn to skate a tiny bit faster.

9 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I liked him but his first steps need to become quicker if he wants a long nhl career. guy is slow maybe its his size but I'd think he could learn to skate a tiny bit faster.

Long career? He's 28. The ship left port.

2 years @ $650

Archived