The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[The Value of] Sven Baertschi to NYI

My question is... What is the value of  Sven Baertschi to the New York Islanders?

What about

NYI

Baertschi

McEneny

VAN

2nd 

3rd

I would argue Sautner has passed McEneny on the charts. Thoughts?

45 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

I think that's fair, but the normal Canucks fan would ask for a 1st... 

Ya i would want a late first, what are the chances a 2nd rounder will score 20 goals/season in the NHL? He provides secondary scoring, as long as he is not asking for too much money no reason to move him for less than hes worth. He could be a Higgins type player for us down the road.  

Baertschi has zero value to them. They don’t need him. Why would the islanders have any interest in mcEneny?  

They have way more depth than us. 

On the left side they have Ladd, lee, beauviller. On the right side they have eberle, bailey, clutterbuk, ho sang. 

They also have bellows coming up. Zero reason for a need like Sven. 

On D they have leddy, toews, pullock, mayfield, aho hickey, pelech, boychuk, de hann, van somple.  Zero reason for McEneny. 

Sven doesn’t hold much value today. He’s a pretty basic player that teams can find in UFA without giving up an asset.  Until Sven can actually prove something he won’t net us anything worth value in a trade. It’s exactly why JB called him out. He either needs to prove he can produce at a 2nd like rate for an entire year or he will slowly be passed on the depth chart by cheaper, younger more promising players.  

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I doubt we could get a second for Bear, but maybe (with the other guy included) we could?  

We gave UP a second for Baertschi.  Why couldn't we get one back now that he is an established NHLer?

Personally, I think we should get rid of him (if we do) just before the next TDL. I feel that with Horvat and Boeser he will have the opportunity to improve and increase his stock value.  If he can get 55-60 points (which is entirely possible imo) then he cements himself as a true #2 winger or perhaps even a poor-man's #1 winger.  That's where we are going to get our value.

In fact, we'd be selling low on most of our spare parts. Hutton and Granlund are also not exactly required pieces on our roster - yet right now their stock is pretty low.  Same with Goldobin - though I have a feeling he will be out to impress next season. 

I do think that we will need Baertschi's scoring for this season as I really don't see who is likely to replace him. Wtih the Sedins gone, we need all the help we can get right now - especially if a couple of the young guys can't manage to step it up.

34 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Baertschi has zero value to them. They don’t need him. Why would the islanders have any interest in mcEneny?  

They have way more depth than us. 

On the left side they have Ladd, lee, beauviller. On the right side they have eberle, bailey, clutterbuk, ho sang. 

They also have bellows coming up. Zero reason for a need like Sven. 

On D they have leddy, toews, pullock, mayfield, aho hickey, pelech, boychuk, de hann, van somple.  Zero reason for McEneny. 

Sven doesn’t hold much value today. He’s a pretty basic player that teams can find in UFA without giving up an asset.  Until Sven can actually prove something he won’t net us anything worth value in a trade. It’s exactly why JB called him out. He either needs to prove he can produce at a 2nd like rate for an entire year or he will slowly be passed on the depth chart by cheaper, younger more promising players.  

This times 100.  Totally correct on Baer's real value.  Bear is a great guy, but nothing special as a player.  

To Edmonton: Baertschi

To Vancouver: 2nd round pick (40th OA)

That's probably the most realistic trade out there for Baertschi. I'm not 100% sure if I would do that trade as I like Baertschi as a middle-6 option and his fit with our group, but I would definitely pull the trigger if someone like Lundqvist, Kaut, Merkley, Addison, etc. was there at that pick. 

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

We gave UP a second for Baertschi.  Why couldn't we get one back now that he is an established NHLer?

Why? Because we gave up under the premise that he had unlocked potential. As he’s aging It’s becoming less likely he reaches thet potential. We were also the only team willing to pay that price. He’s far from being “established” which is why JB called him and granlund out. At this point he’s a UFA quality player. We picked up similar production from granlund and even more from vanek last UFA. Teams would much rather go down the UFA route long before they give up a 2nd round pick for a players who’s career high is 35 points. 

You’re right about not selling now. No teams going to offer us any real value as of today. But if can put together a solid year then maybe we can up his value. This risk is. Another meh year and that little value disappears.

Baertschi has improved every year in my opinion and is only now entering his prime. I think given he plays 82 games that he can put 20 goals and 25 assists for 45 points. On a team that cant score, that is more valuable than a second round pick. I think if some young guys step up big time on the left side then maybe he is moved at trade deadline.   

Why would we trade Baertschi for a 2nd now? He's a useful player. We already struggle scoring & he's one of the few that can. He's having some trouble staying healthy but he's pretty productive when he is healthy. And he's just come into his prime.

I say hold onto him, he's going to have opportunity this year. And if his play/production improves we can either keep him as a top 6 forward for us going forward, or trade him and hopefully get a D back or maybe get a better future or 2.

My only question would be, why are we trying to trade away depth?

If there's a proven, compelling opportunity, then great! If its just moving him for the sake of moving him, I don't see any purpose. Yes, we are running a little high on forwards, but there will always be injuries in training camp.

Let's wait and see who can prove that they are actually ready to play in the NHL and the, if we need to move someone, let's target a team that is a little weaker up front but has an abundance of defense.

Deal from strength and depth to address areas of weakness.

Above all, don't trade for picks, just for the sake of trading for picks. 2nd and 3rd round picks have less than 35% chance of ever having an impact in the NHL or even playing 200 games.

On 2018-05-23 at 1:18 PM, Alflives said:

I doubt we could get a second for Bear, but maybe (with the other guy included) we could?  

If we can’t get a 2nd + for Baer we’re better off keeping him until the trade deadline. If Tatar can get a 1rst and two 2nds at the trade deadline Baertschi (better offensive opportunities this year) should at least be able to get a 2nd plus.

Archived