The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Milwaukee police release video showing violent arrest of NBA player Sterling Brown

Toews

3 hours ago, riffraff said:

Big deal.  Famous guy gets roughed up by the cops so it makes the news.

Disgusting comment.  

It is a huge deal.  

If a white guy parks like a jerk, he gets a ticket and is on his way.  

If i get a ticket, I get fully searched, wicked amounts of attitude, and an overall terrifying experience. 

Big deal.     Yeah. It is.  

White privileged people might say ‘Big Deal’ because they haven’t been surrounded and tased by 8 cops for a parking ticket. 

It breaks my heart we still need to live among this BS. 

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

I agree.  The law enforcement system is broken.

Sadly we see videos like this far too often but let's not pretend their is only one guilty party.  Let's not pretend that many of the responses to injustice don't involving the shooting murders of police officers, rioting, and destruction of family business.

responsibilty has to be take by all involved.

This isn’t about murdering cops.  

This exact garbage happens every single day.   

We don’t all get fair treatment. 

There is a VERY big difference in how black people are treated by police. 

You obviously don’t understand that, and to anyone who isn’t white, you are coming off horribly. 

12 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Disgusting comment.  

It is a huge deal.  

If i get a ticket, I get fully searched, wicked amounts of attitude, and an overall terrifying experience. 

White privileged people might say ‘Big Deal’ because they haven’t been surrounded and tased by 8 cops for a parking ticket. 

That sucks man. I was taught to trust and have faith in the police, meanwhile in many households other kids were taught to fear the police and that to me is just awful. The sight of the uniform should make you feel secure not fill you with dread. 

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

That sucks man. I was taught to trust and have faith in the police, meanwhile in many households other kids were taught to fear the police and that to me is just awful. The sight of the uniform should make you feel secure not fill you with dread. 

I was taught that too.  Hahaha. 

My mom and step dad who raised me are both white and always said the police are here to help.   

Experience with police has taught me otherwise tho.  

I have no criminal record.  Was a good kid (for the most part). Never put myself in situations to get in real trouble.  

Its sad to say, but even here in BC, it’s just different for black folks. 

At least this article had no bias. :ph34r:

Maybe, instead of arguing over a simple parking ticket (which the driver clearly deserved, considering he was parked in TWO HANDICAPPED spots) this guy should have apologized, and accepted the ticket?

As a person, who needs these spots (not because they are closer, but because they are wider) I get POed when others (like this guy) feel they have some sort of special reason to park in these reserved spots.  "Hey, I'm a famous athlete!  I deserve special treatment".  

Clearly this driver (athlete) made matters escalate by arguing.  Just take the bloody ticket, and don't park in handicapped peoples' spots!!!!!!!

And, yes, the police need better training on how to deescalate troubled people too.  

41 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Disgusting comment.  

It is a huge deal.  

Police need more and better training in dealing with these matters, that's for certain.  However, people need to accept their ticket and (if they choose) to fight it in court, rather than arguing with the police officer. 

And all people, regardless of skin tone, gender, or whatever should be treated respectfully.  And don't park in my spots!!!! 

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

Disgusting comment.  

It is a huge deal.  

My brother and his friend barely out of their teens had their faves ground into the pavement on the side of the road with a cops knee in the back of their neck and head - guns drawn.

over a liscence mistake.

to this day my bro weighs 148lbs and had his face and white privilege road rashed by an adult male cop.

we talk about escalating aggression and unnecessary aggression and potential for violence or death.  

Oops my gun went off in the back of your skull.  I misread the car computer.  My bad.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Think that's the key.  It all points to awful training/low standards.  Nothing good comes from that.

No amount of training is going to train the racism/bigotry out of an individual. The vetting process is failing if officers with prejudices against anyone is getting a job where objectivity of a situation is required.

47 minutes ago, riffraff said:

My brother and his friend barely out of their teens had their faves ground into the pavement on the side of the road with a cops knee in the back of their neck and head - guns drawn.

over a liscence mistake.

to this day my bro weighs 148lbs and had his face and white privilege road rashed by an adult male cop.

we talk about escalating aggression and unnecessary aggression and potential for violence or death.  

Oops my gun went off in the back of your skull.  I misread the car computer.  My bad.

Did your brother argue with the police officer, or (in any way) be rude?  

When we (citizens) are engaged by police we need to comply.  

Even so, your brother should not have been mistreated.  

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Did your brother argue with the police officer, or (in any way) be rude?  

When we (citizens) are engaged by police we need to comply.  

Even so, your brother should not have been mistreated.  

My brother didn't say anything.  He was scared upon being pulled over.  His buddy, (the driver) didn't get belligerent but he somewhat argued with the officer saying that it was his moms vehicle, (truth), and that they were making a mistake.  That's it.  Within minutes my brother was in fear for life.

wrong time.

wrong place.

wrong police.

my posts aren't to justify the police treatment of African Americans.  My posts are to point out that there are rights infractions across the racial spectrum and in Canada as well as the US.

the professionalism of law enforcement is in question and rightly so.

earlier @drummerboy and @Toews called me out I presume on my word choice: "big deal" which I admit now was a poor choice of words.  I admit this comment downplays the subject of this thread which isn't my intent.

that being said it wouldn't take long to to find video of any mix of races involving the public and police that display rights infractions.

edit

i agree that compliance is key. I had this conversation with @debluvscanucks I believe,  I stated that while difficult to do, when you feel you're in the right, you should comply and let the courts deal with the outcome later.  It's simply not worth playing into the police.  It's far to unpredictable.  Especially in the US.

4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

My brother didn't say anything.  He was scared upon being pulled over.  His buddy, (the driver) didn't get belligerent but he somewhat argued with the officer saying that it was his moms vehicle, (truth), and that they were making a mistake.  That's it.  Within minutes my brother was in fear for life.

wrong time.

wrong place.

wrong police.

my posts aren't to justify the police treatment of African Americans.  My posts are to point out that there are rights infractions across the racial spectrum and in Canada as well as the US.

earlier @drummerboy and @Toews called me out I presume on my word choice: "big deal" which I admit now was a poor choice of words.  I admit this comment downplays the subject of this thread which isn't my intent.

that being said it wouldn't take long to to find video of any mix of races involving the public and police that display rights infractions.

edit

i agree that compliance is key. I had this conversation with @debluvscanucks I believe,  I stated that while difficult to do, when you feel you're in the right, you should comply and let the courts deal with the outcome later.  It's simply not worth playing into the police.  It's far to unpredictable.  Especially in the US.

I wonder if there should be a minimum height requirement for male officers?  The guy I had trouble with in Cloverdale (for riding my scooter on the sidewalk) was short.  Maybe that whole "short guy" syndrome plays in to some of these "abuse of power" circumstances?   

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if there should be a minimum height requirement for male officers?  The guy I had trouble with in Cloverdale (for riding my scooter on the sidewalk) was short.  Maybe that whole "short guy" syndrome plays in to some of these "abuse of power" circumstances?   

Back in the day their were minimum height requirements - nearly positive of that.

52 minutes ago, riffraff said:

wrong time.

wrong place.

wrong police.

edit

The problem with that is you can do everything "right" and still wind up getting shot. 

6 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

The problem with that is you can do everything "right" and still wind up getting shot. 

Absolutely.  Extremely unpredictable situation every time there is an interaction between the public and police.

i wouldn't want to be a police officer for any money.  There are good and bad - like In anything.  We see much of what this thread is about but imagine knowing you are about to perform a routine stop, as a police officer/husband/wife/mother/father and knowing that person you are checking out could be armed, could be on drugs, could be mentally ill, could have outstanding warrants.

extremely hard job.

thats why there should be nothing short of the best training, basic standards/requirements  and better pay for those who qualify.

17 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

It's two separate issues.  One, Sterling Brown is an entitled jerk. He deserved a ticket. 

Two, the police seemingly arbitrarily escalated that situation into a physical (and potentially deadly, as we in Vancouver know) incident.  According to the law, they really had no reason to do that. 

Write the guy a ticket, I could even take the cops popping off a bit calling him a jerk since money really isn't an issue.. but no need for backup, takedown or tazing.  None.

This.

I think a bunch of things factored in.  First cop was doing his job, but also embarrassed with the back up presence.  Do they send the entire force for a parking incident?  My good God, ridiculous.  Now, mind you, I'm at work so don't have much audio here (it's really low).

Too much man in this.  I mean, sure...he was an ass for parking like that and seemed to cop an attitude (sorry for the bad pun, unintended).  But send some on their way...it's intimidation for all these cars/cops to attend to this.  It's stereotyping in itself.

This could have easily been prevented.  On both sides.

But excessive force is never excusable and we have to address it.  Innocent until proven guilty.  And keep things in perspective...it IS a parking violation, not an armed robbery.

Members of the force were disciplined, Chief Alfonso Morales said at a news conference, without specifying how many people were affected.
"The department conducted an investigation into the incident which revealed members acted inappropriately and those members were recently disciplined," Morales said, without taking questions. "I am sorry this incident escalated to this level."

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/5/23/17384720/milwaukee-police-sterling-brown-video-bucks-nba

Right now police forces in Canada are  hurting  for new applicants.

Basically young people do not want to work in law enforcement.

Most likely the entrance requirements will keep dropping .... until soon a  Gr. 10  highschool  level will be acceptable....

I think law enforcement needs to start to research why the job is so unattractive to so many young people....

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Most likely the entrance requirements will keep dropping .... until soon a  Gr. 10  highschool  level will be acceptable....

I think law enforcement needs to start to research why the job is so unattractive to so many young people....

Totally agree there needs to be more strict guidelines for people becoming police officers.  Maybe more women, especially as traffic officers?  Less likely to get involved in confrontation?  More capable to use words?  Less testosterone driven?  

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I’m not sure that’s totally true outside of the RCMP. Most cops you see get hired by civic departments (VPD, NWPD, etc) have at least a diploma and probably a degree, which wasn’t the case 20+ years ago. 

Where I think you see some standards being relaxed is in the category of life experience. It’s not at all unusual to see a 22 year old, who’s never left mom and dad’s house or seen how other parts of the world live, get hired. 

Archived