The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] UFA targets for July 1

Free Agents We Could Target  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Regardless of what some might think we will actively look for more experience and depth on this team going into next year. Benning is a big fan of young players having to compete and force their way onto the team and personally, I completely agree with that strategy.

I've compiled a list of some of the more likely candidates to be targeted as UFA's, assuming they actually make it to UFA status.

I've tried to avoid anyone who I think may be getting too old to be really effective, or that I think may be having some injury issues that make them high risk.

According to CapFriendly, we have about 22 million to spend and 17 signed, and that's before the projected increase to at least 78 million. After that, we would realistically have 27 million to spend, although we do have a few RFA's to resign, but no one who I think is going to cost us more than about 2.5 million per season.

I haven't put anyone on this list from goalie position although I expect that we'll go shopping for a little more depth for Utica for next season.

Reply with who you picked and what you think the target cap hit would be for anyone you pick.

Again, we know that Benning will be doing this, even if its just targeting guys that we can turn into picks at the trade deadline next year.

For the record, I picked:

Stastny - I would target 2 years, 12 million with about 8 for first year. Should make him an attractive rental the following season if we were out of playoffs.

Van Riemsdyk - If Kane was 7 million, he's gotta be at least 7 - 7.5, would try and do for 4 years.

Carlson - I would even try and advance trade for him, thinking he's probably 7 year deal probably at least 50 million with 8 - 9 million per season to start. Cap hit on him will likely hit 8 million per.

Cole - 4.5 - 5 million 5 years, might be too cheap, could easily cost close to 6 on open market

Grabner - 3 - 3.5 million for 4 years.

13 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

For the record, I picked:

Stastny - I would target 2 years, 12 million with about 8 for first year. Should make him an attractive rental the following season if we were out of playoffs.

Van Riemsdyk - If Kane was 7 million, he's gotta be at least 7 - 7.5, would try and do for 4 years.

Carlson - I would even try and advance trade for him, thinking he's probably 7 year deal probably at least 50 million with 8 - 9 million per season to start. Cap hit on him will likely hit 8 million per.

Cole - 4.5 - 5 million 5 years, might be too cheap, could easily cost close to 6 on open market

Grabner - 3 - 3.5 million for 4 years.

I don't think the canucks will target ian cole. cole is a defensive defensemen (lead league in blocked shots i believe) and isn't offensive at all. We already have that in Tanev, Guddy. If we were to sign a defensive defensemen, it would be a 3rd pairing bottom pairing defensemen closer to 1-3 mil range, sort of like a Thomas Hickey or a Luke Schenn. But I believe the Canucks need a true puck moving defensemen or at least a two way defensemen. I would think Benning targets Jack Johnson and John Moore because they play more of a 2 way game. if he is brave, he targets Enstrom who can be that puck mover again. He was just plagued by injury. Dream would be signing Carlson.

In ranking

1) John Carlson (probably overpayment) but (7 x 8.5) 

2) John Moore (4 x 3.5) 

3) Jack Johnson (3 x 4.0) 

4) Toby Enstrom (2 x 2.0) 

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Goldobin - Bozak - Pettersson

Granlund - Gaudette - Gagner

Virtanen - Sutter - Eriksson

Leipsic

Edler - Carlson

Del Zotto - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Stecher

Pouliot

Markstrom

Demko

I'm a big fan of Benning but in this area he hasn't delivered with the likes of Eriksson, Wiercioch, Burmistrov and Gagner. Maybe take a fly by for now as more youth are being inserted into the lineup?

Carlson would be awesome, but 1) He's going to command a mint after this past season, and 2) There is no guarantee that he will continue at this pace.  In fact, it is unlikely.

I want Tavares here.  Yes it is unlikely he would come but we need to take a shot.  If we can pull this off, we will have the best 1st line in hockey once Pettersson gets up to speed. That's the kind of line you can build around.

I am fine with Bozak as a short-term stop gap. If we get him, we rely on Horvat to be our #1C - which he may well be, but he hasn't shown that it is an ideal role for him yet.

I really view almost all of these UFAs as stop-gaps.  Guys who we can bring in for one or two years to fill spots with some talent where we lack it.  However, for the forward lines I feel we have enough talent in the system that we will want the space available in 1-2 years.   For defense, besides Carlson I don't think any of them are ideal for a long-term spot on our team.

I'm more interested in the following UFA season, actually.  Perhaps OEL is still around, and McDonagh I think would be a good fit here for perhaps a 3 year contract and then of course there is Karlsson.

I don't see anybody high end getting signed.  Only players you could get for 1 or 2 years.

Also, I think that Benning leaves the defense alone.  I'm looking at 2/3 centres (or 3 at least) who would be an upgrade on Gagner.  I'm sure there's plenty of debate if any of the following would fit the bill:

Riley Nash

Tyler Bozak

Valtteri Filppula

Derek Ryan

Thomas Plekanec

i confess

i picked almost everyone

following the vegas model,

to try to build a team largely from scratch

we will have to work hard to move a huge number of our current players/assets

but i have no doubt that we'll be a better team as a result

maybe even a stanley cup contender

we can keep a few of our best youngsters and plug them in as needed

good bye to most of the rest of the team though

and look

canucks do not even have to pay a 500 million expansion fee

:P

Just now, coastal.view said:

i confess

i picked almost everyone

following the vegas model

to build a team largely from scratch

we will have to work hard to move a huge number of our current players/assets

but i have not doubt that we'll be a better team as a result

we can keep a few of our best youngsters and plug them in as needed

good bye to most of the rest of the team though

and look

canucks do not even have to pay a 500 million expansion fee

There is this little thing called a "team contract cap" as well :)

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

There is this little thing called a "team contract cap" as well :)

that's why we'll have to work hard to dump/move so many of our current assets

i did not say it would be easy

but it would be easier then paying 1/2 billion cash

Archived