The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] UFA targets for July 1

Free Agents We Could Target  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

41 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

I say go hard at John Carlson. If 7x8 is what it takes, do it. And then give it a rest, we already have too many players. Let the young ones develop. Signing more contracts now will just tie you down 2-3 years later. 

Eriksson was a huge mistake. 

well you'd want to let the prospects develop my thinking is that Vancouver should sign replacements for the Sedin's and trade some defenceman for more picks get in on the John Carlson and John Tavares sweepstakes if they do go to free agency. if none sign with Van then you go after Tyler Bozak and JVR as temporary holes to fill out the roster. 2-3 years is perfect amount of time to let the young guys develop its gonna be about that long till this team is going to be ready to be competitive in the NHL again.

John Tavares + Brock Boeser would be an awesome duo I think :lol:

13 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Added Riley Nash, good call, he would probably fit pretty well

Perhaps it's just me, but I think Nash would be a good example of who NOT to sign.

He's 29, and had never scored more than 25 points. He wasn't even that prolific of a scorer in the AHL. Then suddenly, in his UFA year, he breaks through with a career year of 41 points. As one of the few centers on the market who had a good year, will likely cash in. It's safe to say that he won't crack more than 30-35 points again, and will likely regress in pretty much each year of his new deal.

I'd be more keen on finding guys who underperformed, and will be looking for a short term deal for small money to prove they still belong. I want to be the team who signs Sam Gagner 2 years ago, not the one who signs him last year.

One guy I'd throw a contract at? Brandon Pirri. Dude languished in the AHL last year, but then got 3 goals in 2 games at the end of the season. He's coming off a 1-year, $650K contract, and can probably had again for something similar. He can score, and has a history of playing point on the PP. There must be something wrong with him, as despite scoring a fair bit, he keeps bouncing around. But he's only 27 - perhaps he'll finally figure it out, and be worth something at the end of the season.

The other guy I'd target - if he gets to the market - is Matthew Peca. He's only 25, but he's a group VI UFA because of not playing enough NHL games. He's ready, is a natural C, and has a lot of upside. I'd risk something more long-term on him.

10 hours ago, Shekky said:

Bieksa is a UFA as well might want to consider bringing him back.

Added, I had originally left him off because of age. Love him as a player and his heart, but personally, I think he's past his best before date.

7 hours ago, Time Lord said:

I like those centers except Bozak, not sure if he's what we need even though he is the best player on the list. @VegasCanuck can you add Filppula and Plekanec?

For wingers, Grabner and Maroon. I like how those two fit in with the Devils, both for different reasons, and our team might look similar to theirs soon. Maroon could be a good linemate for Pettersson. Grabner is a great guy to have in your bottom 6.

On defense, I like De Haan, Cole, Hickey, and Moore. Whichever one we sign would instantly be our 3rd best dman haha.

Added Fippula and Plekanec. As with Bieksa, had left them off due to age.

25 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Added, I had originally left him off because of age. Love him as a player and his heart, but personally, I think he's past his best before date.

yeah but he is a Veteran presence would be great to have him teaching the young guys on the team.

A little off topic, but what about buy low on RFA Robby fabbri? The forgotten one.

not an offer sheet but perhaps a low cost trade 

the guy hasn’t played a regular season game in a year and half but he has speed to burn and he’s only 22 

20 minutes ago, billabong said:

A little off topic, but what about buy low on RFA Robby fabbri? The forgotten one.

not an offer sheet but perhaps a low cost trade 

the guy hasn’t played a regular season game in a year and half but he has speed to burn and he’s only 22 

The only reason he hasn’t played was a knee injury that ended one season that he reinsured in preseason that cost him this past season. I doubt they’re looking to sell low on him now thst he’s finally healthy 

23 minutes ago, aliboy said:

Now that EP is signed, might not be a bad idea to sign someone to ride shotgun for all these kids such as Reaves, if he'll come. I don't think EG should have to do it all himself.

I thought one of the main things the team was missing for the last half of the year was the Derek Dorsett component. Some people gave him a really hard time for awhile, but he really added a dimension to the team that we haven't been able to replace yet.

Who's the best guy out there who can skate, fight and not look out of place with the puck?

5 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I thought one of the main things the team was missing for the last half of the year was the Derek Dorsett component. Some people gave him a really hard time for awhile, but he really added a dimension to the team that we haven't been able to replace yet.

Who's the best guy out there who can skate, fight and not look out of place with the puck?

Antoine Rousell probably or if skating doesn't matter Maroon.

On 5/25/2018 at 7:47 AM, Freeridebc said:

Carlson, Reaves.

This is what I was thinking too. Maybe add Vanek too if he is interested or a couple other depth guys. Only long term contract I want is Carlson though...even at 7 x 9...hell Kane just got 7 x 7.... We need a stud D man. 

13 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

This is what I was thinking too. Maybe add Vanek too if he is interested or a couple other depth guys. Only long term contract I want is Carlson though...even at 7 x 9...hell Kane just got 7 x 7.... We need a stud D man. 

I agree. We also need a Reaves type. With Petterson, Boeser etc we need someone to prevent any extra liberties taken on our team.

20 hours ago, Freeridebc said:

I agree. We also need a Reaves type. With Petterson, Boeser etc we need someone to prevent any extra liberties taken on our team.

Oh I meant we need Reaves, because if he wins the cup we need his Stanley Cup pedigree... ::D

Archived