The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Elias Pettersson

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

One legit big hit, a cross-check to the head when already down, and Messier riding him into the boards.  And for that one legit hit, if Gretzky had another 10 or 20lbs would it have been any different?  Btw, notice how nobody challenged the hitter?  If anyone did that today, even though it was a good clean hit there'd be a full-on scrap and possible brawl.

Notes from the video poster:
"Wayne Gretzky was a hard player to hit most of his career...this can be traced back to Gretzky's second season on Jan.3,1981 vs Toronto when rookie Bill Mcreary caught Gretzky with his head down...Mcreary would only play 12 games in the NHL."

Wasn't watching him yet, but saw plenty afterwards and if there were other significant hits they would have made headline news.  Point stands -- he was VERY elusive and avoided hits like few others could and Elias has the same potential to do likewise, yet is already a more gritty player than Gretzky ever was and very close to his size.  Nobody can 100% avoid every single hit, but any argument saying he'll get demolished with any hits has little substance.

No need to get all defensive. I just thought when you said  "but I don't recall ever seeing him take a significant hit" that sounded a bit dubious in a 20 year career. No biggy.

I also agree that 10-20lbs would not have made any difference. When your head is down you're dead meat.

All this talk about weight has me depressed. I still think a sumo wrestler in goal is the answer. Can you imagine this guy in the butterfly.  You push him out onto the ice at the beginning of every period.  Get him in the butterfly position.  Then collect him at the end of the period.  Rinse. Repeat.  Shutout.

image.jpeg.1e7df463c6bd90207aea7877af3d9948.jpeg

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Don't need to be an expert. There is not one thing I said that was factually wrong. Just because it's not a popular point of view it's ridiculed. Sheep will be sheep.

Even if you said Justin Bieber was the greatest singer of all time you wouldn't be factually wrong in your mind.

3 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Don't need to be an expert. There is not one thing I said that was factually wrong. Just because it's not a popular point of view it's ridiculed. Sheep will be sheep.

There is plenty, from the nutritional side only. There is still the absurdity on the psychological side that you think Pettersson would be intentionally or unintentionally tricking himself and the world about his weight. LOL. You are being mocked quite rightfully for being a loudmouth. But this is entertaining stuff, so I do encourage you to keep posting your views.

You're right. The sheep will be sheep. I wonder who you are following.

17 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

There is plenty, from the nutritional side only. There is still the absurdity on the psychological side that you think Pettersson would be intentionally or unintentionally tricking himself and the world about his weight. LOL. You are being mocked quite rightfully for being a loudmouth. But this is entertaining stuff, so I do encourage you to keep posting your views.

You're right. The sheep will be sheep. I wonder who you are following.

Okay, you point out the plenty of things that were factually wrong then.

5 hours ago, Borvat said:

All this talk about weight has me depressed. I still think a sumo wrestler in goal is the answer. Can you imagine this guy in the butterfly.  You push him out onto the ice at the beginning of every period.  Get him in the butterfly position.  Then collect him at the end of the period.  Rinse. Repeat.  Shutout.

image.jpeg.1e7df463c6bd90207aea7877af3d9948.jpeg

image.jpeg

Been saying this for years. Get a morbidly obese man on skates with equipment and you've got yourself a perennial vezina candidate. Only thing that could stand in his way is a heart attack. 

Archived