The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Penguins looking to trade Phil kessel

Kessel is awesome, and with the salary that Toronto is retaining is pretty affordable. Penguins have no need to do this - the cap is going up, and they have no big RFAs to sign.

NEXT year? Maybe. But not now.

I smell bull$&!#.

13 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

It's apparently a bogus report based off another bogus report that's speculated by radio stations that don't like that Phil won't talk to them much and didn't talk to them at all on clean-out day.

This is the kind of NHL related reporting that started JuoleviGate.

Pittsburgh's GM JIm Rutherford did indicate that Daniel Sprong their highly touted prospect was going to be an integral piece in their top 9.  Having Patric Hornqvist, Phil Kessel and Bryan Rust, someone needs to be dealt to make room, especially since Rust is an RFA this summer looking for a big raise.

16 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Pittsburgh's GM JIm Rutherford did indicate that Daniel Sprong their highly touted prospect was going to be an integral piece in their top 9.  Having Patric Hornqvist, Phil Kessel and Bryan Rust, someone needs to be dealt to make room, especially since Rust is an RFA this summer looking for a big raise.

See:

32 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Im sure they would love to dump Karl Hagelin instead.

the two Cups the Pens won with Kessel he was a plus player during their regular season, which is say something for him.  Last season (Pens lose this playoffs early) Kessel was a minus, like he was too often in TO.  I would not want anything to do with the minus player that Kessel is.  The plus player yes, but I don't think he can be a plus player anymore, and (maybe?) the Pens realize this too.

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

the two Cups the Pens won with Kessel he was a plus player during their regular season, which is say something for him.  Last season (Pens lose this playoffs early) Kessel was a minus, like he was too often in TO.  I would not want anything to do with the minus player that Kessel is.  The plus player yes, but I don't think he can be a plus player anymore, and (maybe?) the Pens realize this too.

So because he is a minus player, the most misleading of stats (Crosby was a 0 and Phil was -4 but the list of excuses to defend Crosby will be a mile long), you wouldn't want him.

At least use decent reasons like he's far too old now to fit into the team's plan at the salary he commands or something like that because it can't be declining skill or lack of production.

Kessel is so frustrating to watch. Yes he can score out of nowhere. But he scores out of nowhere because he does nothing. Chubby, lazy hockey player. I'm glad Sullivan is calling him out on his out of shape act. At six million you need to do more than cherry pick goals. I don't care who you are you need to be part of the effort to get the puck back. Frustrating, lazy player. 

18 minutes ago, jimmyking8888 said:

Of course Pittsburgh  wants to trade him.  Get some value out of a aging star is better than keep on to a declining asset.       

Declining asset?  The guy by far and away just had the best season of his career.

Archived