The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Penguins looking to trade Phil kessel

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Again, it's fact.

Kessel is a plus, and Pens win Cup.  Kessel is a minus, and Pens are out early.

Kessel killed 10 years of the Leafs + I hate the Leafs = I love Kessel.  :towel:

spurious-correlations-share.png

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Two before he arrived, and two after he was traded (plus the six he was there) = 10 

What year did Hull win the Cup?  It was in Dallas right?  '99?  Was he a plus, or a minus that regular season?  

There might be top minute guys winning Cups, who are minus regular season guys, but with Kessel he was a minus, the Pens were out early.  When he was a plus, the Pens won two Cups.  Don't Cup winning teams tend to be chalk full of plus players, especially in their top minute guys?  

And 2002... Hull is arguably the purest goal scorer the game ever had.  Him or Bossy.  And in Dallas he learned to be good defensively too. 

No brainer.  Trade Kessel.

But where is he a better fit than in Pittsburgh?

To San Jose?

In any event. all they really gave up for Kessel is Kapanen, so if they can recover even a decent prospect, or dump him for next to nothing, the 'rental' paid off.

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

the two Cups the Pens won with Kessel he was a plus player during their regular season, which is say something for him.  Last season (Pens lose this playoffs early) Kessel was a minus, like he was too often in TO.  I would not want anything to do with the minus player that Kessel is.  The plus player yes, but I don't think he can be a plus player anymore, and (maybe?) the Pens realize this too.

That's pretty simplistic Alf. 

But it does show something about the effectiveness of the units he was playing on.

As I see it - it was the absence of Bonino that made a huge difference to Pittsburgh.

Bonino is a highly under-rated two way player.

When you have a guy like him on your third line, it helps enable you to exploit that level of 'secondary' scoring - to use the Pens scoring depth to create some very difficult matchups - but in the absence of Bones, is Sheahan the equivalent?  I don't think so - at least not yet.  When you have to elevate Kessel so dramatically as they did in this playoffs ie a team high 66% ozone starts and the worst underlying numbers on the team nevertheless (45% corsi) - clearly, Kessel is the one way anchor you make him out to be - but when they had the Bone-show, they had the ideal complement that could inflate Kessel's tires.

I think, in the absence of that kind of depth down the middle (I like Sheahan, but he's different than Bonino - not quite the crafty, complete player that Bonino is) - I think Kessel becomes a luxury that might be costing them more than he delivers.

I'd move him too - and asap.  Who knows what Rutherford is thinking though - it might make as much sense to go out and shop for another center to attempt to recreate that formula.  But Kessel is now 30 - he's not the easiest guy to create a fit for (you really need complementary two way pieces or he's a serious liability)  - and he's not exactly known as a fitness buff, so you have to wonder about how long he'll be able to extend his career beyond his prime.   For me, I'd be moving on and counting my gains from what they did make of him there.   Four more years of Kessel?  Try to strike early imo.

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

That's pretty simplistic Alf. 

But it does show something about the effectiveness of the units he was playing on.

As I see it - it was the absence of Bonino that made a huge difference to Pittsburgh.

Bonino is a highly under-rated two way player.

When you have a guy like him on your third line, it helps enable you to exploit that level of 'secondary' scoring - to use the Pens scoring depth to create some very difficult matchups - but in the absence of Bones, is Sheahan the equivalent?  I don't think so - at least not yet.  When you have to elevate Kessel so dramatically as they did in this playoffs ie a team high 66% ozone starts and the worst underlying numbers on the team nevertheless (45% corsi) - clearly, Kessel is the one way anchor you make him out to be - but when they had the Bone-show, they had the ideal complement that could inflate Kessel's tires.

I think, in the absence of that kind of depth down the middle (I like Sheahan, but he's different than Bonino - not quite the crafty, complete player that Bonino is) - I think Kessel becomes a luxury that might be costing them more than he delivers.

I'd move him too - and asap.  Who knows what Rutherford is thinking though - it might make as much sense to go out and shop for another center to attempt to recreate that formula.  But Kessel is now 30 - he's not the easiest guy to create a fit for (you really need complementary two way pieces or he's a serious liability)  - and he's not exactly known as a fitness buff, so you have to wonder about how long he'll be able to extend his career beyond his prime.   For me, I'd be moving on and counting my gains from what they did make of him there.

I’ve always liked watching Kessel play; he’s fun, especially with the puck.  Bonino, like Sutter, is a very underrated player.  Guys like him (and Sutter) make their wingers more effective for sure.  I wonder if the Leafs just missed out on Kessel playing with a matured Kadri?  

Just now, Alflives said:

I’ve always liked watching Kessel play; he’s fun, especially with the puck.  Bonino, like Sutter, is a very underrated player.  Guys like him (and Sutter) make their wingers more effective for sure.  I wonder if the Leafs just missed out on Kessel playing with a matured Kadri?  

I think the Leafs had a good complement to Kessel - Bozak made Kessel better and was highly under-rated through those times.  'Analytics' stories in Toronto suggested that Bozak was riding Kessel's coat-tails - but that was highly oversimplified and misleading.   Bozak was a solid two way center who didn't get enough credit imo for the impact he had in keeping Kessel productive.  I think the mistake Toronoto made was extending Kessel (and Phaneuf), when his rental value probably would have been higher than attempting to shot that contract.

Phil Kessel was ‘furious’ that he didn’t get to play more with Evgeni Malkin in the playoffs and believes that having him play with Derick Brassard and Riley Sheahan hurt the team.

The Athletic’s Josh Yohe says that head coach Mike Sullivan was not happy with Kessel’s attitude and Penguins executives believe he was being ‘pouty’.

Due to Kessel’s hate-hate relationship with Sullivan he is said to be okay with the prospect of being traded in the offseason.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Phil Kessel was ‘furious’ that he didn’t get to play more with Evgeni Malkin in the playoffs and believes that having him play with Derick Brassard and Riley Sheahan hurt the team.

The Athletic’s Josh Yohe says that head coach Mike Sullivan was not happy with Kessel’s attitude and Penguins executives believe he was being ‘pouty’.

Due to Kessel’s hate-hate relationship with Sullivan he is said to be okay with the prospect of being traded in the offseason.

Related image

2 hours ago, Nuck1991 said:

kessel for eriksson and 2nd  this year

two elite snipers boeser and kessel

I assume you have a sniper trained on Rutherford when you make that proposal.  That’s the only way Pittsburgh accepts that lopsided offer. 

On 2018-05-26 at 11:16 AM, oldnews said:

To San Jose?

In any event. all they really gave up for Kessel is Kapanen, so if they can recover even a decent prospect, or dump him for next to nothing, the 'rental' paid off.

And a 1st round pick which Toronto turned into Andersen.

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎26 at 11:16 AM, oldnews said:

To San Jose?

I actually think a good fit is Nashville. They are in "win-now" mode, they have lots of cap space, multiple trade chips, and a center with proven chemistry (Bonino). They also are in need of secondary scoring from the wing - particularly RW, as they have only 3 natural RW-ers under contract within the entire organization, minors included (Arvidsson, Hartman, and Salomaki...and the latter 2 are impending RFAs).

The other possibility is if Kessel is potentially the piece going back to Arizona if the Max Domi rumours are true. Coyotes would have to add, but they are also very weak at RW, and could use a top-line player who could play with Stepan or Strome and produce.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

I actually think a good fit is Nashville. They are in "win-now" mode, they have lots of cap space, multiple trade chips, and a center with proven chemistry (Bonino). They also are in need of secondary scoring from the wing - particularly RW, as they have only 3 natural RW-ers under contract within the entire organization, minors included (Arvidsson, Hartman, and Salomaki...and the latter 2 are impending RFAs).

The other possibility is if Kessel is potentially the piece going back to Arizona if the Max Domi rumours are true. Coyotes would have to add, but they are also very weak at RW, and could use a top-line player who could play with Stepan or Strome and produce.

A trade based around Kessel for Domi makes so much sense for both teams. Good call. 

Archived