The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Penguins looking to trade Phil kessel

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

I actually think a good fit is Nashville. They are in "win-now" mode, they have lots of cap space, multiple trade chips, and a center with proven chemistry (Bonino). They also are in need of secondary scoring from the wing - particularly RW, as they have only 3 natural RW-ers under contract within the entire organization, minors included (Arvidsson, Hartman, and Salomaki...and the latter 2 are impending RFAs).

The other possibility is if Kessel is potentially the piece going back to Arizona if the Max Domi rumours are true. Coyotes would have to add, but they are also very weak at RW, and could use a top-line player who could play with Stepan or Strome and produce.

Kessel is worth Domi plus more?  What’s wrong with Domi?  Is he worth so little now?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Kessel is worth Domi plus more?  What’s wrong with Domi?  Is he worth so little now?

Um, Kessel just scored 34 goals and 92 points - he was tied for 7th in NHL scoring with Kopitar, 1 point behind Hall.

Domi had 9 goals and 45 points. Despite playing all 82 games (for the first time), he had the lowest points-per-game rate of his career.

So on what planet is Domi worth even close to Kessel?

51 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Um, Kessel just scored 34 goals and 92 points - he was tied for 7th in NHL scoring with Kopitar, 1 point behind Hall.

Domi had 9 goals and 45 points. Despite playing all 82 games (for the first time), he had the lowest points-per-game rate of his career.

He’s 10 years younger, and plays a lot tougher.  And Kessel was a minus player on a very good team.  I don’t think Arizona would trade 

Domi straight for Kessel.

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

He’s 10 years younger, and plays a lot tougher.  And Kessel was a minus player on a very good team.  I don’t think Arizona would trade 

Domi straight for Kessel.

Do you understand how useless a stat +/- is?

Kessel was -4. Big deal.  Crosby was 0. On a very good team.  I guess Crosby is just barely average 

On 6/1/2018 at 1:04 PM, Ryan Strome said:

And a 1st round pick which Toronto turned into Andersen.

2nd round pick from the Leafs in both those deals.  They added a 2nd to get Andersen, and added a 2nd to the Kessel deal - effectively a trade up to the 30 spot.

On 6/1/2018 at 7:57 PM, D-Money said:

the planet where Kessel is 30+ with 5 years remaining at an 8 million cap hit.

If they could return a young RFA like Domi, they should take that and run.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Kessel has $1.2 retained by TO, so it's only $6.8. With escalating salaries, thats very reasonable.

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think it's a fantasy world where the current Kessel (and his bloated Cap hit) returns a young player like Domi.

Is there potential for the Pens to retain on Kessel too, or can only one team retain per player?  Or maybe Kessel goes to a bottom feeder team that needs to get to the cap floor?  In any case, the return for Kessel will be minimal.  Heck the Pens might have to add to Kessel to move him out? 

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Kessel has $1.2 retained by TO, so it's only $6.8. With escalating salaries, thats very reasonable.

I'd jump at the opportunity to unload the last five years of that contract regardless of 6.8 vs 8.0.

they got what they wanted out of Kessel.

time to unload the cookie monster.

I don't like his chances of sustaining as a 32, 33, 34, 35 year old.

No brainer imo.  get out ahead of the decline.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is there potential for the Pens to retain on Kessel too, or can only one team retain per player?  Or maybe Kessel goes to a bottom feeder team that needs to get to the cap floor?

Yes, he can be retained by Pittsburgh.

Can he go to a bottom feeder? That’s up to him. He has a modified NTC/NMC. 8 teams he will go to.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'd jump at the opportunity to unload the last five years of that contract regardless of 6.8 vs 8.0.

I'm no fan of signing 30 year olds to long term deals but at $6.8M, Kessel provided some serious bang for buck last season. I don't know how next 5 seasons will turn out? I think it's safe to say that he probably won't be a 90 point player moving forward. But even at 70 points, that's still a great contract. 60 points and that's still more than any of our players have scored in a few years. So I wouldn't be so quick to write his contract off and if Pittsburgh were willing to eat a bit of it, I think Kessel would have pretty good value in a trade.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think it's a fantasy world where the current Kessel (and his bloated Cap hit) returns a young player like Domi.

Is there potential for the Pens to retain on Kessel too, or can only one team retain per player?  Or maybe Kessel goes to a bottom feeder team that needs to get to the cap floor?  In any case, the return for Kessel will be minimal.  Heck the Pens might have to add to Kessel to move him out? 

Who knows what Chayka will do.

He spent his 7th overall and DeAngelo on Stepan and Raanta.

That would have infuriated me were I a Yotes fan - however Stepan was a 27 yr old, and a center, coming to a group that was very young down the middle.

Regardless, that's a deal I'd never have made. 

But if it were between that and taking on Kessel,  a Kessel deal makes even less sense imo, particularly when you're talking another young asset like Domi.

Kessel is a one-dimensional, aging asset that hasn't even been fit in his prime.  I'd consider him a real decline risk.

Hard pass.

Just now, oldnews said:

Who knows what Chayka will do.

He spent his 7th overall and DeAngelo on Stepan and Raanta.

That would have infuriated me were I a Yotes fan - however Stepan was a 27 yr old, and a center, coming to a group that was very young down the middle.

Regardless, that's a deal I'd never have made. 

But if it were between that and taking on Kessel,  a Kessel deal makes even less sense imo, particularly when you're talking another young asset like Domi.

Kessel is a one-dimensional, aging asset that hasn't even been fit in his prime.  I'd consider him a real decline risk.

Hard pass.

I forgot about that Stepan trade.  You're totally right.  There are some seriously stupid GM's in the league, who make really bad mistakes for their franchises' futures.  If a team has the 7th pick, that means they are likely rebuilding, or should be.  

2 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'm no fan of signing 30 year olds to long term deals but at $6.8M, Kessel provided some serious bang for buck last season. I don't know how next 5 seasons will turn out? I think it's safe to say that he probably won't be a 90 point player moving forward. But even at 70 points, that's still a great contract. 60 points and that's still more than any of our players have scored in a few years. So I wouldn't be so quick to write his contract off and if Pittsburgh were willing to eat a bit of it, I think Kessel would have pretty good value in a trade.

It's not a signing though - you'd be giving up their 2013 12th overall - an RFA - to acquire him.

Are the Yotes really in a "win now" window?  Are they better with Kessel than they are with Domi?  If so, for how long would that be the case?

If a small market team like Arizona wants to blow 34 million in cap on a 30+ year old, hey, go to free agency and keep your young asset.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

It's not a signing though - you'd be giving up their 2013 12th overall - an RFA - to acquire him.

Are the Yotes really in a "win now" window?  Are they better with Kessel than they are with Domi?  If so, for how long would that be the case?

If a small market team like Arizona wants to blow 34 million in cap on a 30+ year old, hey, go to free agency and keep your young asset.

My comment wasn't about Arizona, just about Kessel. He's a legit superstar making $6.8M. He'll likely start regressing soon but I believe he still has good trade value. 

5 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

My comment wasn't about Arizona, just about Kessel. He's a legit superstar making $6.8M. He'll likely start regressing soon but I believe he still has good trade value. 

'Good trade' value is very general, in a discussion with context where we are talking specifics.

Kapanen and a trade up to the 30th pick is what his value was three years ago.

I think Domi easily is as valuable as the return Toronto got - (I like Kapanen a lot, but he's relatively unproven, and that effects his value). I'd argue Domi is a better return.  And imo whatever you may think of Kessel in the short term, there's absolutely no way I'd be paying that kind of price for him at this stage, regardless of the stage my team is in.  For an Arizona, I think it should be an absolute non-starter, but you never know with the 'analyticz' whizz kidz.

Pittsburgh extracted their value out of Kessel in the window that worked for him and the player.

At this point there are few contracts I'd cut a wider swath to avoid.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

At this point there are few contracts I'd cut a wider swath to avoid.

I can't see it myself. He's coming off a career best 92 point season. That's insane value for $6.8M. In comparison, we paid LE $6M after a season that pales in comparison to Kessel's. Even if his production cuts in half, he's still a valuable 2nd line player. ATM, Kessel is an absolute steal at $6.8, making up for the last year or 2 of his contract when he might be a 40 point player and even that is still bordering 2nd line production. 

16 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I can't see it myself. He's coming off a career best 92 point season. That's insane value for $6.8M. In comparison, we paid LE $6M after a season that pales in comparison to Kessel's. Even if his production cuts in half, he's still a valuable 2nd line player. ATM, Kessel is an absolute steal at $6.8, making up for the last year or 2 of his contract when he might be a 40 point player and even that is still bordering 2nd line production. 

That’s all well and good, but did he score 9 goals last season?

22 hours ago, oldnews said:

This right here....

Archived