The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Baerstchi for Edjsell

With Hartman traded and Sharp retiring Chicago lacks serious depth at LW. Baertschi would be a solid fit to slot into their 2nd line at a low price. 

Edjsell is a player who I was interested in the Canucks acquiring before he was traded to Chicago. 

22 years old, 6'5 215lb centre who put up very impressive numbers in Allsveksen (league leader and MVP) and 20 goals in 50 games in the SHL last year. Right now he has 7 goals in 11 playoff games and has played fantastic for the Ice Hogs. Skates well for his size, can score dirty goals and is a solid passer. Not overly physical but has great reach and can use his size. 

I've read he is solid defensively and in the faceoff circle as well. 

Right now we don't have much at centre, with Sam Gagner maybe penciled in with Gaudette challenging. Pettersson played a lot at LW so hard to see him coming in as a centre in the NHL right away. Edjsell is unproven and raw but could challenge for that spot. Also can play right wing. 

There is some risk giving up a more proven and still young player in Baertschi but in my eyes it is worth the gamble for a player like Edjsell. It also seems like Leipsic may have taken his spot (similar player who is younger and grittier).  I could see him developing into a player similar to Carl Soderberg. 

Thoughts?

I know nothing of this guy.  All in can say is:

1) This makes goalscoring even more a challenge next year.

2) Do we really need another center?  Prospects are always nice to have but we are pretty much covered long term for centers with Pettersson (if he eventually is played there), Bo, Sutter and Gaudette.  

This guy isnt going to contribute right away and long term we dont need him.

...but we DO need Sven's scoring until such time as he is inevitably traded.

I also wanted to target Ejdsell when he was still a Nashville prospect, and was quite disappointed when Chicago got him in a trade.  Big skilled guy - with a lot of potential.

Plays center or wing and has numbers similar to (or even better than) Dahlen.

He could even potentially be the center between Dahlen and Pettersson.  Big guy, could help protect the 2 smaller guys.

Victor Ejdsell is a 22 year old undrafted player in the Blackhawks system and was on loan to HV71 in the SHL last year.  He is 6'5" 215 and put up 20-13-54 in 50 games last year in the SHL,  He has progressed in Sweden as a point per game player in the Superelit and the Allsvenskan leagues in his prior 2 seasons.  But he has done little on this side of the pond.  6 NHL games and 12 points in 12 games in the playoffs for the Ice Hogs.

Baer for such an unknown quantity?  C'mon.  Baer is an established NHL 2nd line quality player.

Take a flyer with Tyler Motte at most imo.  But Motte is a much more known quantity frankly.

Maybe not Sven.  The team's not exactly stacked with young, proven entities on the left wing (Sven; Leipsic, Goldobin still need to prove themselves as do Dahlen and Elias; Loui needs to rebound, don't forget Danny's gone).

I'd like developing guys too but not for so much.  

15 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

With Hartman traded and Sharp retiring Chicago lacks serious depth at LW. Baertschi would be a solid fit to slot into their 2nd line at a low price. 

Edjsell is a player who I was interested in the Canucks acquiring before he was traded to Chicago. 

22 years old, 6'5 215lb centre who put up very impressive numbers in Allsveksen (league leader and MVP) and 20 goals in 50 games in the SHL last year. Right now he has 7 goals in 11 playoff games and has played fantastic for the Ice Hogs. Skates well for his size, can score dirty goals and is a solid passer. Not overly physical but has great reach and can use his size. 

I've read he is solid defensively and in the faceoff circle as well. 

Right now we don't have much at centre, with Sam Gagner maybe penciled in with Gaudette challenging. Pettersson played a lot at LW so hard to see him coming in as a centre in the NHL right away. Edjsell is unproven and raw but could challenge for that spot. Also can play right wing. 

There is some risk giving up a more proven and still young player in Baertschi but in my eyes it is worth the gamble for a player like Edjsell. It also seems like Leipsic may have taken his spot (similar player who is younger and grittier).  I could see him developing into a player similar to Carl Soderberg. 

Thoughts?

Edjsell has good hands and vision but both times I watched him live it was like he was skating in mud.   

16 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Victor Ejdsell is a 22 year old undrafted player in the Blackhawks system and was on loan to HV71 in the SHL last year.  He is 6'5" 215 and put up 20-13-54 in 50 games last year in the SHL,  He has progressed in Sweden as a point per game player in the Superelit and the Allsvenskan leagues in his prior 2 seasons.  But he has done little on this side of the pond.  6 NHL games and 12 points in 12 games in the playoffs for the Ice Hogs.

Baer for such an unknown quantity?  C'mon.  Baer is an established NHL 2nd line quality player.

Take a flyer with Tyler Motte at most imo.  But Motte is a much more known quantity frankly.

Tyler Motte being a known quantity is actually a bad thing in this scenario, considering that he's already known in Chicago as a prospect they gave up on.

The Hawks most likely won't want to part ways with Edjsell before even giving him a chance with the organization.  

They have also said many times that they want to cycle in younger players, so trading Edjsell for an older and more expensive Baertschi is kinda going against their plans.

Archived