The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van NYI at the draft

To NYI: Van 3rd + Baer

To Canucks: Casey Cizikas

Cizikas is a perfect fit for the Canucks he is a fantastic PK proven C who agitates and checks very well. It looks like JT will remain a NYI they could use Baertshi and the 3rd more than a checking C with their depth at the position. 

Goldy/Granlund Bo Boeser ("O")

Gaunce Sutter Loui ("shut down")

Virtanen Cizikas Leipsic (Checking/pot stirring odd man chances and turnovers) 

Elias Gaud Gagner/Granlund (sheltered secondary "O") give em the Sedin mins! 12 easy mins to dominate  

50 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Cizikas is a perfect fit for the Canucks he is a fantastic PK proven C who agitates and checks very well. It looks like JT will remain a NYI they could use Baertshi and the 3rd more than a checking C with their depth at the position. 

Elias Gaud Gagner/Granlund (sheltered secondary "O") give em the Sedin mins! 12 easy mins to dominate  

I like Cizikas and your rationale but I dont think we need to give up the 3rd as well. Also I think we need to pry one of their 1st rounders.

So how about Baer/one of Tanev or Markstrom (as they need both a goalie and D) for Czikas, one of the firsts and maybe a later pick (4th)

Then we go sign Cam Ward as a bridge till Demko

5 minutes ago, Petterrson's Dangle said:

I like Cizikas and your rationale but I dont think we need to give up the 3rd as well. Also I think we need to pry one of their 1st rounders.

So how about Baer/one of Tanev or Markstrom (as they need both a goalie and D) for Czikas, one of the firsts and maybe a later pick (4th)

tanev or markstrom?

you think those are close to being equal choices ?

Just now, coastal.view said:

tanev or markstrom?

you think those are close to being equal choices ?

Baer and one of those should be able to get the first rounder and Czikas. 

Markstrom was 'decent' in the save % department, in the group of starters (.912) on an awful team, players around him included

Lundquist .915

Martin Jones .915

Bishop .916

Rask .917

Murray .907

Holtby. 907

I would hope for more back on Tanev though

12 minutes ago, Petterrson's Dangle said:

Though I would love to go after their first I highly doubt they trade it to us. They don't need Tanev and honestly we do. 

Markstrom is our goalie of today need to get behind him IMO he is who we have and we aren't getting anyone better this season. 

Just now, coastal.view said:

if baer can fetch us a 1st rounder

he must be damn good

why would you want to trade him

we lack top shelf good lw on this team

Where did I say Baer alone could fetch us a first rounder? The COMBINATION OF BAER AND TANEV or Markstrom SHOULD be able to get a first and Czikas. Maybe its Baer and Tanev (markstrom probably gets you a 2nd) but it was the combo

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

he must be damn good

I disagree I like Baer but he isn't 1st worthy. I don't see it. if it happened I would welcome it. 

Why though?  Is Cizikas statistically a better PK option than what we have?  The Canucks overall (77.7%) had a better PK than the Islanders did (75%) so maybe it's not necessary for this upgrade?  Keep in mind that both Bo and Sutter also did have extended injury time, and Gaudette looked pretty solid out there.  

While he'd probably be an upgrade over Motte or Dowd, I don't think it'd be worth the investment of one of the few proven scorers the team has and a pick to get another defensive guy.  

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

OMG  Casey Cizkas is a 4th line centre, 27 yrs old, 5'11

NEVER TRADE BAERTCHI AND 3RD PICK FOR CIZKAS...THATS JUST CRAZY

BAERTCHI IS A 24 GOAL GUY IF HE PLAYS 75 GAMES,... CIZKAS IS A 4TH LINE GUY..

WE CAN FIND GRITTY PLAYERS IN UFA, MAROON IS ONE...

2017-18 -- 64GP --17 PTS

2016- 17  - 59GP - 25 Pts

4th line centre and we already have guys better then him.

1 centre Bo 2. UFA or trade 3. Sutter 4. Gaudette

spare centres Gagner, 

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

he must be damn good

He’s not worth a first rounder but maybe at the trade deadline next year a team is desperate enough to give you one. If you can get that kind of value for him you take it.

I like Casey Czikas. But I don't see why we trade for him?

Why spend assets of any sort on a 27 year old in our current state of team development? UFA's or draft from within. I'm ok with guys 18 to 22 or 23 on the trade market.  But even then, I would just as soon take our limps till we can develop our own talent. 

Plus we have Sutter, Granlund, the rights to Dowd & young guy, sorta, in Gaunce to usher in Pettersson & Gaudette as pivots. Horvat to play the key role.

In fact trading Baer would create a bigger hole than Czikas fills? I'm not ready to plant Leipsic, Dahlen or Virtanen, Jake on his off wing, as 1LW.  @hammertime

16 hours ago, Petterrson's Dangle said:

Baer and one of those should be able to get the first rounder and Czikas. 

Markstrom was 'decent' in the save % department, in the group of starters (.912) on an awful team, players around him included

Lundquist .915

Martin Jones .915

Bishop .916

Rask .917

Murray .907

Holtby. 907

I would hope for more back on Tanev though

lol have you taken into account that the players you listed had down seasons. While Markstrom's 0.912 is actually above his career average. 

59 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

lol have you taken into account that the players you listed had down seasons. While Markstrom's 0.912 is actually above his career average. 

well that could also mean he's trending up, and he's on an awful team defensively. So that has to be accounted for as well.

Rask's career save % is.922 - not too far off his norm

Jones .916 - same

Lundquist - .919

Bishop .919

Murray -.916

So none of them were off materially - most were off 0.002 -0.004 or so. That is not material. While down sure, but maybe scoring was up in the league. Point is his numbers aren't bad relative to some pretty good starters career save %

1 hour ago, Petterrson's Dangle said:

well that could also mean he's trending up, and he's on an awful team defensively. So that has to be accounted for as well.

Rask's career save % is.922 - not too far off his norm

Jones .916 - same

Lundquist - .919

Bishop .919

Murray -.916

So none of them were off materially - most were off 0.002 -0.004 or so. That is not material. While down sure, but maybe scoring was up in the league. Point is his numbers aren't bad relative to some pretty good starters career save %

You simply can not take Markstorm's 0.912, compare them to other goalies who are known to be good, and say that Markstorm is good. If anything, watching this season, he has been exposed to us that he is not a good NHL starter and we need a replacement. 

Archived