• Announcements

    • StealthNuck

      All Threads Must Contain Tags!   07/25/2017

      ALL THREADS MUST CONTAIN TAGS   All threads in this forum must contain tags prefixed to topic titles. The purpose of the tags is to eliminate confusion in recent threads lists, and to create an organized and consistent environment. Moderators may immediately lock and thread that does not contain tags.    Tags must be placed at the start of your thread title, following this exact formatting:    [Tag] Thread Title   Here are some of the most used popular tags:    [Proposal]
      A trade, or trades, for next season, or even the off-season.
      [Off-Season]
      FA signings, off-season trades for RFA's, UFA's rights etc...
      [Value Of]
      (A question regarding a players worth, whether from another team, or the Canucks)
      [Speculation] Posting a rumor (with a source of course), but providing why it could be possible for the Canucks to land that player.   [Discussion]
      Thoughts on team trading strategy and composition.   Please feel free to create your own tag if none of these suit your thread.   
Sign in to follow this  
AllCanucksAllTheTime

[Discussion] Noah Hanifin and the 7th overall pick

Recommended Posts

Most of Canucks nation is clamoring for a defenseman to be drafted with the 7th overall pick in June, but what if that pick was an intricate piece in plucking Noah Hanifin out of Carolina?

 

Assuming GMJB and TL do in fact decide to take a blueliner at the draft, it's safe to assume one of Evan Bouchard, Adam Boqvist, Quinton Hughes, or Noah Dobson will be pulling a blue and green sweater over their head; but are any of those players better than an 18-year-old Noah Hanifin?

 

 

image.png.93cbc8b4266d86c8b8e92c8e542f9853.pngThis is a very basic side by side comparison of all five defensemen in their draft year. As you can see, Hanifin is right there with each of the potential draft picks that could come the Canucks way, but he comes with an added bonus of 239 NHL games already under his belt. He isn't an offensive dynamo like Boqvist or Bouchard, but the tools are there, and solidifying the defensive side of the blueline with players like Juloevi, Tanev, and Hanifin would allow a bigger leash for an offensive Troy Stecher, Ben Hutton, Jack Rathbone (potentially), or any future defenders the organization decides to draft.

 

Personally, I think the 7th for Hanifin is a definite conversation starter and GMJB should kick tires. The obvious name drops of Horvat, Boeser, Petterson, or Demko are grounds for hanging up, but the idea of having two picks in the top 10 for Carolina would most definitely peak Don Waddell's interest.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@King Heffy is right.  Don’t go near this Hanifin guy.  Almost 70% cherry time, only 30 points, and minus 20.  

  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7th this year is worth more than hanifin. 

 

virtanen or bear , markstrom, 3rd this year for hanifin is a fair offer for both teams

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

7th this year is worth more than hanifin. 

 

virtanen or bear , markstrom, 3rd this year for hanifin is a fair offer for both teams

Carolina isnt looking for a "fair" offer. Bear to me has MINIMAL value. Markstrom is just a random add in and sucks. 3rd man.... If I was a CAR GM, I would be cursing the fk outta u. 

 

what CAR is looking for is prob like 7th + Juolevi. Something like that. 

 

Hanifin is a young D man with plenty of room to grow and is farther along development compared to Dobson, etc. 

Edited by DontMessMe
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'd rather have both *shrugs*

I'm in the same camp.

 

Sadly, I've gone fanboy for Bouchard and if he's gone by #7... I dunno.. Maybe

 

In an ideal world JB figures a way to take Hanifin for peripheral players and a few scraps. I don't see that happening though

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

@King Heffy is right.  Don’t go near this Hanifin guy.  Almost 70% cherry time, only 30 points, and minus 20.  

There is a price that makes sense, roster guys over 23, later round picks, etc. We don't really know what Carolina wants or how they view someone like Sutter e.g. Lots of young guys get the o-zone gifts Sergachev e.g., but he was a +12 with similar zone time.... so without knowing if his d partners were part of the issue I personally don't want Jim giving up the #7 pick. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

@King Heffy is right.  Don’t go near this Hanifin guy.  Almost 70% cherry time, only 30 points, and minus 20.  

Bo Horvat -30. Hanifin has been on a team with arguably the worst goaltending in the league. Carolina is a playoff team if they have a goalie who can stop the puck. Their goaltending over the last 3-4 years has been around .900

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AllCanucksAllTheTime said:

Most of Canucks nation is clamoring for a defenseman to be drafted with the 7th overall pick in June, but what if that pick was an intricate piece in plucking Noah Hanifin out of Carolina?

 

Assuming GMJB and TL do in fact decide to take a blueliner at the draft, it's safe to assume one of Evan Bouchard, Adam Boqvist, Quinton Hughes, or Noah Dobson will be pulling a blue and green sweater over their head; but are any of those players better than an 18-year-old Noah Hanifin?

 

 

image.png.93cbc8b4266d86c8b8e92c8e542f9853.pngThis is a very basic side by side comparison of all five defensemen in their draft year. As you can see, Hanifin is right there with each of the potential draft picks that could come the Canucks way, but he comes with an added bonus of 239 NHL games already under his belt. He isn't an offensive dynamo like Boqvist or Bouchard, but the tools are there, and solidifying the defensive side of the blueline with players like Juloevi, Tanev, and Hanifin would allow a bigger leash for an offensive Troy Stecher, Ben Hutton, Jack Rathbone (potentially), or any future defenders the organization decides to draft.

 

Personally, I think the 7th for Hanifin is a definite conversation starter and GMJB should kick tires. The obvious name drops of Horvat, Boeser, Petterson, or Demko are grounds for hanging up, but the idea of having two picks in the top 10 for Carolina would most definitely peak Don Waddell's interest.

 

"but are any of those players better than an 18-year-old Noah Hanifin?"

 

Dobson hands dowm...  skill size speed and snipe... 

 

Edited by iceman64
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Carolina isnt looking for a "fair" offer. Bear to me has MINIMAL value. Markstrom is just a random add in and sucks. 3rd man.... If I was a CAR GM, I would be cursing the fk outta u. 

Hmm, I thought the rumour was that it was Carolina that wanted to trade Hanifin? If so, then doesn't that mean that they don't have any rights to curse any lowball offers?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Hmm, I thought the rumour was that it was Carolina that wanted to trade Hanifin? If so, then doesn't that mean that they don't have any rights to curse any lowball offers?

 

Dundon told every player (save Aho) that his job is to find a better player than them and that their job is to make it hard.   They are looking for upgrades.  Any offer where it's the other team that adds doesn't really make sense in light of his comments.  They want to get the better player out of the trade. 

 

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're not pushing for a playoff spot so why rush the plan? Let's develop our own Hanfin type D prospect in Dobson/Bouchard.

Save Joulevi/Jake for ourselves. -20? hmmm... that's not good.

Tanev is +7 on a bad team.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We're not pushing for a playoff spot so why rush the plan? Let's develop our own Hanfin type D prospect in Dobson/Bouchard.

Save Joulevi/Jake for ourselves. -20? hmmm... that's not good.

Tanev is +7 on a bad team.

Feels like a +1 for every game he played this year. Poor guy.

That's some $&!#ty luck there. 

 

Derailing a bit, sorry, OP

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dobson > Anybody else on this list.

 

Good size defenceman already for his age, and mobility to match, AND knows how to play the game "the way it is currently played" - both ends of the ice.

 

Keep and develop.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not convinced the 7th pick will be a centrepiece in a hanifin trade. 

 

Like why would Carolina, a team that wants to be better now, trade a top 4 d for an unproven prospect that’s gonna take 3 years to get to where hanifin is now

 

markstrom is the guy I think Carolina would want as well with other pieces 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billabong said:

I’m not convinced the 7th pick will be a centrepiece in a hanifin trade. 

 

Like why would Carolina, a team that wants to be better now, trade a top 4 d for an unproven prospect that’s gonna take 3 years to get to where hanifin is now

 

markstrom is the guy I think Carolina would want as well with other pieces 

heres hoping markstrom  plus gets him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I would wait to see who is on the board at our pick. If we're aiming particularly for a defenseman and neither Hughes nor Dobson are available, I would definitely consider trading the 7th overall pick+ for Hanifin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.