The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Noah Hanifin and the 7th overall pick

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Would you trade Elias Pettersson for Noah Hanifin?

I wouldn't. I'd also be really nervous trading away the #7 for the same reason, Benning might just get the perfect player again.

No, Pettersson is showing too well already. I would think that he's one of untouchables in our prospects.

The only reason I would let #7 go is if it gives us a much higher chance of success on the player that we are receiving than we would by just going forward with our draft strategy.

I've talked a lot on here about trading for Hanifin, but unless the deal is right, I'm completely good with us just selecting and developing from within.

If a deal can be done, what I think Hanifin accomplishes for us, is fast tracks our blueline rebuild. It would give us, 2 really good D that we can build around, both fairly close in age.

If we can get Tryamkin back in another couple of years, that would provide us with a serious physical element in our own zone. I don't care if Tryamkin fights or not, at his size, he doesn't have to hit hard on the boards to be effective and wear down opposition.

Think of in a couple of seasons, we could have:

Hanifin Tryamkin

Juolevi Stecher

Hutton / Pouliot Gudbranson

That's a pretty solid looking defense.

Edler's contract expires after this coming season, try and push him to waive at the deadline for a later 1st round pick and with the forward prospects we've already accumulated, we are starting to look pretty solid again.

Now, if we could somehow convince Carlson to come here for around 8 million per for 7 years, swap him into Tryamkin's spot, would be really awesome!

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Hanifin Tryamkin

Juolevi Stecher

That's a pretty nice D core, and would certainly improve the goals against, I would think.

What I meant is that Pettersson was drafted at #6, and we have the #7 this year. What if Benning drafts another future star with the #7. It just seems risky to trade that away for a player not protected by CAR.

Would you do Virtanen for Hanifin? I think I would even have a hard time with that one lol Jake is going to be great one day.

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's a pretty nice D core, and would certainly improve the goals against, I would think.

What I meant is that Pettersson was drafted at #6, and we have the #7 this year. What if Benning drafts another future star with the #7. It just seems risky to trade that away for a player not protected by CAR.

Would you do Virtanen for Hanifin? I think I would even have a hard time with that one lol Jake is going to be great one day.

I would hate to lose Virtanen as I believe he is going to be a great player. To get Hanifin and shore up our defense? Yes, I would make that trade.

17 hours ago, billabong said:

I’m not convinced the 7th pick will be a centrepiece in a hanifin trade. 

Like why would Carolina, a team that wants to be better now, trade a top 4 d for an unproven prospect that’s gonna take 3 years to get to where hanifin is now

markstrom is the guy I think Carolina would want as well with other pieces 

Dobson is nowhere near 3 yrs away... he could crack a bad teams roster or even ours for that matter immediately. Natural born skill set is something he has and won't take much seasoning and he's top 4 material and i hope we get him... his size is more of what our butter soft team needs.. not to mention his laser beam shot..  

17 hours ago, canuktravella said:

heres hoping markstrom  plus gets him 

I sure can see them getting excited about going from bad goaltending to bad goaltending.  Definitely worth a top pairing young D man and All Star.

The young guys always look great.  You don't start seeing the warts on the frog till you get a good look.  Every one of these kids has a chance of being an NHL D man and some of them a very good one but it is still a chance.  Likely 2 or 3 of these young guys will flame out or be Gudbranson, Poulliot type disappointments-NHL players but not very good ones.  Hanifin is an NHL D man and highly regarded one, he is improving and was an All Star this year.  Yes he was a minus on a bad team but that often is indicative of the types of minutes he is playing and the teammates around him, his Corsi is quite impressive if you believe in that stuff.  Tanev is a pure shutdown guy and a poor comparator, he is also one of the best shutdown guys in the league.

If you could get him for the seventh you get him.  Markstrom may be a throw in on a deal but to think he is the centerpiece is pure fantasy.

23 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Carolina isnt looking for a "fair" offer. Bear to me has MINIMAL value. Markstrom is just a random add in and sucks. 3rd man.... If I was a CAR GM, I would be cursing the fk outta u. 

what CAR is looking for is prob like 7th + Juolevi. Something like that. 

Hanifin is a young D man with plenty of room to grow and is farther along development compared to Dobson, etc. 

if i was vancouver gm ill curse back until ur bi*ch ass hangs up

if he was that great of a player he wouldnt be on trade block. In reality i see him as second pairing dman.  

Every prospect has his own development curve, cant compare him to dobson or any othrr

19 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

if he was that great of a player he wouldnt be on trade block. In reality i see him as second pairing dman.  

Every prospect has his own development curve, cant compare him to dobson or any othrr

thats fine. Then we have no deal. End of story. They'll be more than happy to keep Hanifin if they dont get the right deal. 

32 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

Exactly.  JB would be incredibly gullible to give up any assets of good value for Hanifin.  

3 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Dobson is nowhere near 3 yrs away... he could crack a bad teams roster or even ours for that matter immediately. Natural born skill set is something he has and won't take much seasoning and he's top 4 material and i hope we get him... his size is more of what our butter soft team needs.. not to mention his laser beam shot..  

If he's that good he's not going 7th overall.

2 hours ago, Nuck1991 said:

I don't think people understand why he is on the block. Seth Jones was on the trade block at one point in his career too, guess he is also a guy only good enough to become 2nd pairing. Hanifin is there because they are so deep on defensive players/prospects they can afford to dangle him for assets and they are losing a ton of money as a franchise so they are gonna try and nickel and dime their way back to the playoffs by keeping cheaper defensive assets. Hanifin is gonna get paid pretty soon, and they'll go with cheaper options instead. 

I know someone is gonna rag on me for defending Hanifin and claim I want the Canucks to go after him but I don't. I just think people are undervaluing him and downplaying his potential. You pretty much touch on that exact thing in your next comment. Every prospect has his own development curve, just cause Hanifin hasn't hit his potential, at 21 years old mind you, doesn't mean he won't ever hit that potential that was put on him at his draft. Which was top 2 d-man. Hockey fans have no chill when it comes to kids. 21 years old and everyone talking about Hanifin like he's a bum.

Don’t know why people seem to be so up-tight about giving up our 7th to get Hanifin. 

Basic math is we’re here trying to minimize the probability of the 7th overall failing. We have no idea how our prospect will turn out even though if we do draft at 7th. Quite frankly with Hanifin on board it does seem to fit a better timeline when everyone projects to be ‘in their prime’. 

So it’s basically your trading for a young player that’s been trending positively for the last 3 seasons for a unknown 7th overall. 

9 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Exactly. Other GM's would be incredibly gullible to give up any assets of good value for insert canucks player (EG: Tanev) 

Canuck's fan or just visiting Canuck's . Com  :canucks:  :P

Hanifin is not the player you make him out to be.  We have ZERO interest in 30 point Dmen who play no defense.

11 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I don't think people understand why he is on the block. Seth Jones was on the trade block at one point in his career too, guess he is also a guy only good enough to become 2nd pairing. Hanifin is there because they are so deep on defensive players/prospects they can afford to dangle him for assets and they are losing a ton of money as a franchise so they are gonna try and nickel and dime their way back to the playoffs by keeping cheaper defensive assets. Hanifin is gonna get paid pretty soon, and they'll go with cheaper options instead. 

I know someone is gonna rag on me for defending Hanifin and claim I want the Canucks to go after him but I don't. I just think people are undervaluing him and downplaying his potential. You pretty much touch on that exact thing in your next comment. Every prospect has his own development curve, just cause Hanifin hasn't hit his potential, at 21 years old mind you, doesn't mean he won't ever hit that potential that was put on him at his draft. Which was top 2 d-man. Hockey fans have no chill when it comes to kids. 21 years old and everyone talking about Hanifin like he's a bum.

Hanifin is not a bum.  He's an NHL player, which means he's one of the best in the world.  The issue is his cherry ice time relative to points produced and horrible defensive numbers.  He's (at best) a second pair Dman.  We already have Juiolevi coming, who will be better than Hanifin.  We already have Hutton (who put up similar numbers in his rookie season to Hanifin's last season) and Pouliot, who is also from good pedigree.

We should not give up assets for Hanifin.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hanifin is not a bum.  He's an NHL player, which means he's one of the best in the world.  The issue is his cherry ice time relative to points produced and horrible defensive numbers.  He's (at best) a second pair Dman.  We already have Juiolevi coming, who will be better than Hanifin.  We already have Hutton (who put up similar numbers in his rookie season to Hanifin's last season) and Pouliot, who is also from good pedigree.

We should not give up assets for Hanifin.

LOL HUTTON lol.... Poulliot isnt bad.  But hutton sigh... 

VegasCanuck and Alflives brought up good points about fast tracking our blueline rebuild and Hanifan's relative defensive numbers.  I would prefer we keep our 7th overall pick and find other ways of getting Hanifan (or one of their other defencemen).  Carolina wants to compete now and would prefer more proven players than draft picks.  Over at the Hurricanes board, the player they mentioned who they could trade one of their pieces for was Markstrom and maybe to a lesser extent Demko.  So goaltending is their biggest concern and then their forward positions.  

On May 28, 2018 at 2:16 PM, VegasCanuck said:

No, Pettersson is showing too well already. I would think that he's one of untouchables in our prospects.

The only reason I would let #7 go is if it gives us a much higher chance of success on the player that we are receiving than we would by just going forward with our draft strategy.

I've talked a lot on here about trading for Hanifin, but unless the deal is right, I'm completely good with us just selecting and developing from within.

If a deal can be done, what I think Hanifin accomplishes for us, is fast tracks our blueline rebuild. It would give us, 2 really good D that we can build around, both fairly close in age.

If we can get Tryamkin back in another couple of years, that would provide us with a serious physical element in our own zone. I don't care if Tryamkin fights or not, at his size, he doesn't have to hit hard on the boards to be effective and wear down opposition.

Think of in a couple of seasons, we could have:

Hanifin Tryamkin

Juolevi Stecher

That's a pretty solid looking defense.

Edler's contract expires after this coming season, try and push him to waive at the deadline for a later 1st round pick and with the forward prospects we've already accumulated, we are starting to look pretty solid again.

Now, if we could somehow convince Carlson to come here for around 8 million per for 7 years, swap him into Tryamkin's spot, would be really awesome!

I agree with what you're saying. I would absolutely love Hanifin as a Canuck given the two circumstances:

1. The players we are targeting at that draft spot are taken by then, leaving us players with equal or lower ceilings or equal or lower floors as that as Hanifin. This is because Hanifin is already an NHL player and in his body of work has shown that he is at minimum a top-4 puck moving defenseman who can put up 30 points a season. There is risk with Boqvist in that he may end up being a Philip Larsen type of player. And with Bouchard his compete and skating ability may relegate him to being a second pairing defenseman with offensive/PP ability. Hanifin has a defined floor which he has already reached, and with his size, skating ability, and hockey IQ he could very well be a stud #1 defenseman. 

2. Hanifin's acquisition doesn't come at an insane price where we have to give up one of our key "cornerstones" of Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Dahlen, Juolevi, or Demko.

If the above two conditions are met and we were to acquire Hanifin we would drastically speed up our rebuild. We may not be a playoff team, but we would likely have a pick in the 10-20 range at the 2019 draft which would give us a solid prospect to add to the cupboard. Hanifin fits right into the age group of Horvat and Co, and as such, will be able to play important minutes and develop alongside them instead of being two or three years away from the NHL.

On 2018-05-27 at 11:17 PM, billabong said:

I’m not convinced the 7th pick will be a centrepiece in a hanifin trade. 

Like why would Carolina, a team that wants to be better now, trade a top 4 d for an unproven prospect that’s gonna take 3 years to get to where hanifin is now

markstrom is the guy I think Carolina would want as well with other pieces 

Maelstrom ,Baertschi and one of Biega Hutton or Pouliot . upgrade our D make some room for a forward prospect but probably still a high draft pick next year.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:31 PM, N7Nucks said:

Seriously, Seth Jones? He was not on the block, Johansen was and the Preds wanted him, Jones was the price and they had many more top dmen to replace him, Jossi etc?

Carolina deep on defence? Not really, look them up, Hanifin was around their #4 dman, they have no depth but want to move this kid for picks/prospects. It seems they might be building the tank job for Hughes next year or maybe they think they can do the Vegas thing, they do have only 12 players signed for next year.

The Nucks would have a better chance at a better player, Tampa needs to deal, why not the 7th for Sergachev? They ARE deep in dmen.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The Nucks would have a better chance at a better player, Tampa needs to deal, why not the 7th for Sergachev? They ARE deep in dmen.

Because Tampa just picked up Sergachev via trade and they have no plans on trading him??!! Lmao.

Archived