The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Noah Hanifin and the 7th overall pick

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Seriously, Seth Jones? He was not on the block, Johansen was and the Preds wanted him, Jones was the price and they had many more top dmen to replace him, Jossi etc?

Carolina deep on defence? Not really, look them up, Hanifin was around their #4 dman, they have no depth but want to move this kid for picks/prospects. It seems they might be building the tank job for Hughes next year or maybe they think they can do the Vegas thing, they do have only 12 players signed for next year.

The Nucks would have a better chance at a better player, Tampa needs to deal, why not the 7th for Sergachev? They ARE deep in dmen.

Lol Sergachev was the best D-man taken in his draft year and will definitely be a top pairing guy within the next couple of seasons. Why in the hell would they trade him?

Just now, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Lol Sergachev was the best D-man taken in his draft year and will definitely be a top pairing guy in the next couple of seasons. Why in the hell would they trade him?

Why would a team supposedly needing dmen more than Tampa move a key player in Hanifin?

Tampa might bite because they do have Foote in their system and #7 overall might get them a player they need in 2 or 3 years maybe a center or winger to replace Killorn or Palat. They are smart and will build for two or three years in the future now, they need forward depth.

I think anytime a team offers up a young player to the league and it is a position that team is not deep in could be/mean "baggage". Carolina is almost worse than the Canucks for dman depth, there has to be a reason to weaken an already weak position. Carolina has numerous forward prospects but almost no d prospects. So why?

Besides Dobson or Bouchard are likely to be better, this is a deep draft year and both those players excelled in a good year.

29 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Because Tampa just picked up Sergachev via trade and they have no plans on trading him??!! Lmao.

Cap space and forward prospects. They do think about and plan for the future there, the next wave. Tampa is said to be looking for a 1rst round pick, how do you think they will get one? I doubt trading Yani Gourd or Brayden Point would and that would weaken them in forward prospects.

14 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Cap space and forward prospects. They do think about and plan for the future there, the next wave. Tampa is said to be looking for a 1rst round pick, how do you think they will get one? I doubt trading Yani Gourd or Brayden Point would and that would weaken them in forward prospects.

Use common sense. They just gave up Drouin for Sergachev. They aren't trading him. You can speculate all you want but in the real world there is zero reason to believe they have suddenly soured on him to the point of trading him. 

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Use common sense. They just gave up Drouin for Sergachev. They aren't trading him. You can speculate all you want but in the real world there is zero reason to believe they have suddenly soured on him to the point of trading him. 

Actually Tampa were wanting to jettison Drouin for a year, that was the best offer.

On 9.6.2018 at 9:44 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Why would a team supposedly needing dmen more than Tampa move a key player in Hanifin?

Tampa might bite because they do have Foote in their system and #7 overall might get them a player they need in 2 or 3 years maybe a center or winger to replace Killorn or Palat. They are smart and will build for two or three years in the future now, they need forward depth.

I think anytime a team offers up a young player to the league and it is a position that team is not deep in could be/mean "baggage". Carolina is almost worse than the Canucks for dman depth, there has to be a reason to weaken an already weak position. Carolina has numerous forward prospects but almost no d prospects. So why?

Besides Dobson or Bouchard are likely to be better, this is a deep draft year and both those players excelled in a good year.

Wait what? Carolina has one the best top 4 d-cores and has so many good prospects that they dont have even spots for them all. Hanifin Faulk Slavin and Pesce are all legit nhl top 4 d-men AND all are 25 or younger and then you throw in to bottom pair guys like Van Riemsdyk.  Fleury a former top 10 pick is making his way and there is no space for 2016 first round pick Jake Bean and Roland Mckeown unless trade is made.

Just a rumour and now getting stale.

I don't know why all the love for Hanifin. This year at #7 the Canucks may be able to draft the best point producing dman in their entire prospect pool. Either Bouchard or Dobson had more points in junior in their draft year than any of the current Canuck dmen or prospects and both are larger than 2/3 of them.

One of the items looked at is point production and these two guys are leaders in that category in junior hockey. Why trade the pick at all?

I think there's a way we can pry Hanifin out of CAR without giving up core players or the 7th. 

Not sure what the package would look like but two guys like Dobson + Hanifin would instantly make our blueline gain some respect around the league ... something I think it hasn't had in years

Just imagine also if our boy Tryamkin comes home. Got to see him play while I was in Finland.. Boy's still got it!

Hanifin - Dobson

Juolevi - Tryamkin

6 hours ago, Zoolander said:

I think there's a way we can pry Hanifin out of CAR without giving up core players or the 7th. 

Not sure what the package would look like but two guys like Dobson + Hanifin would instantly make our blueline gain some respect around the league ... something I think it hasn't had in years

Just imagine also if our boy Tryamkin comes home. Got to see him play while I was in Finland.. Boy's still got it!

Hanifin - Dobson

Juolevi - Tryamkin

Core players? Horvat and Pettersson and ? Forget about Sven or Granlund they will be too old and while I think Granlund is tough enough for the playoffs, the boards are just too close for Sven to be able to play his game.

If they did go for Hanifin then maybe a 2nd and Sven or Stecher or just about any other forward.

8 hours ago, Zoolander said:

Hanifin - Dobson

Juolevi - Tryamkin

Now I am all in on this, but you do realize that none of these are playing for us at this time, right! lol

Just struck my funny bone!:P

22 hours ago, Zoolander said:

Hanifin - Dobson

Juolevi - Tryamkin

You'd have to be looking at some sort of combination of Tanev, Gaudette, and taking back bad contracts with added value if we're not including core players.

Maybe something like,

EDM: Tanev + VAN 2nd (37th overall) 

VAN: Lucic + EDM 1st (10th overall)

CAR: EDM 1st (10th overall) + Gaudette

VAN: Hanifin

EDIT: Even then, I don't know if that's enough value for Carolina

3 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

You'd have to be looking at some sort of combination of Tanev, Gaudette, and taking back bad contracts with added value if we're not including core players.

Maybe something like,

EDM: Tanev + VAN 2nd (37th overall) 

VAN: Lucic + EDM 1st (10th overall)

CAR: EDM 1st (10th overall) + Gaudette

VAN: Hanifin

Very creative, but I don't see how (with the coming Seattle ED) we could manage having Loui and Milan on contract.  We would likely lose a very good young player in that ED.  I think we need to factor that into any trade scenario.  Is that we you are suggesting Gaudette be moved?  He will need to be protected.

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Very creative, but I don't see how (with the coming Seattle ED) we could manage having Loui and Milan on contract.  We would likely lose a very good young player in that ED.  I think we need to factor that into any trade scenario.  Is that we you are suggesting Gaudette be moved?  He will need to be protected.

Didn't even think of the expansion draft. Whoops! I guess if it came down to the same 7F, 3D, 1G scenario, it would look something along the lines of...

Eriksson (NMC)

Lucic (NMC)

Horvat

Boeser

Virtanen

Sutter

Baertschi or Leipsic or Goldobin whichever is better at the time

Hanifin

Stecher

Gudbranson 

Demko assuming he gets more games this year

2 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Didn't even think of the expansion draft. Whoops! I guess if it came down to the same 7F, 3D, 1G scenario, it would look something along the lines of...

Eriksson (NMC)

Lucic (NMC)

Horvat

Boeser

Virtanen

Sutter

Baertschi or Leipsic or Goldobin whichever is better at the time

Hanifin

Stecher

Gudbranson 

Demko assuming he gets more games this year

That sounds good to me.  I guess, even if we kept Gaudette, we could still protect him in your scenario.  Would the Canes like Sutter instead of Gaudette?  :towel:

Archived