The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Combine Results

-AJ-

Unless I'm blind, I didn't see a thread on this.

SN has an article on the top 10 on all the tests here:

With the 2018 NHL Scouting Combine behind us, attention will now turn towards the NHL Draft, which will be in Dallas on June 22-23.

But first, let’s have a look at the top 10 performers in each drill at the combine, from NHL Central Scouting.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2018-nhl-combine-results-top-10-drill/

Never heard of Liam Foudy, but he seems to have absolutely killed it at this combine. Looks like he's generally ranked between a late first and a mid 2nd rounder from what I can see. A surprising lack of a lot of the big names in these lists; I only saw Dahlin once and didn't see Zadina or Hughes at all.

Looking at the results, Boquist, Tkachuk and Bouchard are the guys that the Canucks could end up with, who had an above average combine. I bet Hughes drops at least a spot from his comment above.

And Svechnikov is going to be a monster...

43 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

It seems that the combine could benefit lower or marginal picks, but what would be the benefit for the top picks?  I've never followed the NHL combine at all.  Is it optional?

The interview with teams is probably the most important part for the top picks. Scouting is so widespread that most top picks don’t reveal much in the testing. 

Though last year, Josh Norris absolutely killed it in the testing, then went unexpectedly early (19th) to the sharks. I seem to remember reading, don’t know where, that the sharks draft rankings has athleticism as the highest trait. 

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Unless I'm blind, I didn't see a thread on this.

SN has an article on the top 10 on all the tests here:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2018-nhl-combine-results-top-10-drill/

Never heard of Liam Foudy, but he seems to have absolutely killed it at this combine. Looks like he's generally ranked between a late first and a mid 2nd rounder from what I can see. A surprising lack of a lot of the big names in these lists; I only saw Dahlin once and didn't see Zadina or Hughes at all.

Foudy is a guy some have claimed is  a poor mans Veleno but with a higher potential ceiling and more speed.  The kid oozes 2nd round pick treasure

1 hour ago, Brad Marchand said:

Hughes apparently opted not to participate in the combine tests:

Worth noting that Dobson played in the Memorial Cup just over a week ago and did participate in the combine tests.

This doesn't bode well for his work ethic to me. Not saying it's easy, but I'd think a real determined player would take those 6 or 7 days and kill it in the gym prepping for this.

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

This doesn't bode well for his work ethic to me. Not saying it's easy, but I'd think a real determined player would take those 6 or 7 days and kill it in the gym prepping for this.

Looks like Chicago thinks he could drop to #8 now. 

46 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Yeah, I think teams might already be wary of his size and this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. He might fall to 8 or 9 now.

2 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

Hughes apparently opted not to participate in the combine tests:

Worth noting that Dobson played in the Memorial Cup just over a week ago and did participate in the combine tests.

Hughes shoulda just gone in there, pounded out 1 pull-up and sat out the rest just to rub it in the face of a guy like Bennett!     Yeah, I'm in that kind of mood today:P 

31 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

The NHL scouting combine means next to nothing the vast majority of the time.

I wouldn't read in to any of it too much.

In 2013 none of Nathan Mackinnon, Seth Jones, or Jonathan Drouin participated in fitness testing.

Yeah most GMs really don’t care about the physical tests. After all Bennett couldn’t do a pull up and still went 4th.  

Chayka was just talking about how the only real thing you get from the combine is the interview process. 

1 hour ago, 'NucK™ said:

I don’t see how he goes past 6. He just finished at the World Cup playing for blashill who loved him, while rooming with Larkin.  He played in the wings back yard this year. If he gets to 7 it’s a no brainer for canucks. And we should all be jumping for joy. 

I guess this is the Quinn Hughes thread now. Kind of a catch 22 for him since he felt unprepared for physical testing coming off his WC tournament. There's no telling what the jetlag and time it took for him to recover from playing in Denmark would have on his combine results. And now people are questioning his work ethic.

There's no way he could get to 8, because Benning would take him at 7. There's no doubt in my mind. He doesn't have the big point shot, but if you put Boeser on his left and Pettersson on his right on the powerplay, his playmaking becomes invaluable. He's the 2nd best puck mover in the draft and his ability to do so rivals Dahlin.

6 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I guess this is the Quinn Hughes thread now. Kind of a catch 22 for him since he felt unprepared for physical testing coming off his WC tournament. There's no telling what the jetlag and time it took for him to recover from playing in Denmark would have on his combine results. And now people are questioning his work ethic.

There's no way he could get to 8, because Benning would take him at 7. There's no doubt in my mind. He doesn't have the big point shot, but if you put Boeser on his left and Pettersson on his right on the powerplay, his playmaking becomes invaluable. He's the 2nd best puck mover in the draft and his ability to do so rivals Dahlin.

I dare say Ty Smith and or Ryan Merkely might give him a solid run for his money for puck movement, without the potential questions regarding his work ethic

When you are a smaller guy, why go do a bench press when your limit is going to be the lowest or close to it?

Guy is talked about as a high pick because of other things than bench press comparisons.

Archived