The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Combine Results

-AJ-

53 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Because he didn’t participate in the combine?  Really?

Worth noting Quinn's father Jack was the director of player development for the Leafs for six seasons. I'm guessing that he wouldn't have let Quinn skip the fitness testing if it was going to substantially harm his draft stock.

1 hour ago, Jägermeister said:

The NHL scouting combine means next to nothing the vast majority of the time.

I wouldn't read in to any of it too much.

In 2013 none of Nathan Mackinnon, Seth Jones, or Jonathan Drouin participated in fitness testing.

I disagree.  It's what separates a 2nd rounder to an undrafted player.  The top players may opt out because they are already consensus picks, a poor showing would hurt their draft rankings but with 200+ prospects they need something to set them apart from each other.  Gadjovich did really well at last year's combine which I am sure was the deciding factor in the Canucks drafting him.  If the combine was meaningless they wouldn't bother doing it. 

8 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I guess this is the Quinn Hughes thread now. Kind of a catch 22 for him since he felt unprepared for physical testing coming off his WC tournament. There's no telling what the jetlag and time it took for him to recover from playing in Denmark would have on his combine results. And now people are questioning his work ethic.

And now we're questioning his strength and endurance:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I disagree.  It's what separates a 2nd rounder to an undrafted player.  The top players may opt out because they are already consensus picks, a poor showing would hurt their draft rankings but with 200+ prospects they need something to set them apart from each other.  Gadjovich did really well at last year's combine which I am sure was the deciding factor in the Canucks drafting him.  If the combine was meaningless they wouldn't bother doing it. 

Nope it is meaningless. It’s just good for interviews and finalizing player size and height.

gms base thier decisions on what they seen a player do on the ice not by how many pulls they can do. 

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Unless I'm blind, I didn't see a thread on this.

SN has an article on the top 10 on all the tests here:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2018-nhl-combine-results-top-10-drill/

Never heard of Liam Foudy, but he seems to have absolutely killed it at this combine. Looks like he's generally ranked between a late first and a mid 2nd rounder from what I can see. A surprising lack of a lot of the big names in these lists; I only saw Dahlin once and didn't see Zadina or Hughes at all.

I am always unsure about how to interpret these tests. The tests mainly capture natural athletic abilities of a certain type and fitness.

But if a guy has great natural athleticism and it has not translated into great performance on the ice, I am not sure it that is a good sign. Obviously the tests are not capturing things like hockey IQ or even physical skills like coordination.

Fitness is even more problematic. While it is good if guy had a good work ethic, a guy who has maxed out his fitness level has less room to improve than a guy who has done really well on the ice despite not yet maximizing fitness.

Reminds me of Jordan Schroeder, who the Canucks picked in the 1st round (#22 overall) in 2009. He was in great shape and was great in the NCAA and in the world juniors, but he was a small guy who had overachieved in terms of fitness so he did not have as much upward room as a guy like Tryamkin, who was not in great shape when he joined the Canucks but, as his fitness improved, became very good.

I am not saying that doing well in the tests is bad. It certainly shows some good things (natural athleticism, work ethic) but its not unambiguous and I don't expect the tests to move the draft position of many guys by much.

1 hour ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Hughes needs a strong work ethic to make up for his size. Taking a week off this close to the draft? If the draft doesn't motivate him to work, I don't know what will... 

He's a pass from me 

I have to agree about Hughes. We should not over-react, but there is a kind of CYA aspect to this that I don't like. He is afraid to look bad so he does not participate. Apparently he did not even do the weigh-in and height measurement.

I much prefer the attitude of Dobson, who also played until recently but just decided to suck it up and show up. That is the kind of guy you want on your team.

But maybe Hughes thinks going to Detroit is a done deal -- and maybe he doesn't want anyone to draft him higher: I think he is pretty safe on that point now. I am pretty sure he will be there at #6 when Detroit picks.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Because he didn’t participate in the combine?  Really?

I didn't know the combine had such an optional feel to it. I guess it's not as bad of it's considered less mandatory than I thought. 

4 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

Hughes apparently opted not to participate in the combine tests:

Worth noting that Dobson played in the Memorial Cup just over a week ago and did participate in the combine tests.

Dobson all the way. He looks to be the most rounded D so far.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I dare say Ty Smith and or Ryan Merkely might give him a solid run for his money for puck movement, without the potential questions regarding his work ethic

Seriously?

Merkley is regarded as a top 10 talent but is ranked in the 2nd round because of his laziness, lack of commitment and attitude. They're not in the same question when it comes to character.

Smith has above average character though. He was an assistant captain in Spokan last year and captained Canada at the U18s this year. A lot of people rave about his character and project him to be a leadership guy in the NHL eventually. 

Hughes doesn't cause any problems like Merkely, but he's not an exceptional leader like Smith either. 

41 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Seriously?

Merkley is regarded as a top 10 talent but is ranked in the 2nd round because of his laziness, lack of commitment and attitude. They're not in the same question when it comes to character.

Smith has above average character though. He was an assistant captain in Spokan last year and captained Canada at the U18s this year. A lot of people rave about his character and project him to be a leadership guy in the NHL eventually. 

Hughes doesn't cause any problems like Merkely, but he's not an exceptional leader like Smith either. 

Yes seriously.  merkley is considered one of the best puck movers and offensive D in this years draft but due to his work ethic and supposed issues he's not ranked a lot higher than he should be.

4 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

The NHL scouting combine means next to nothing the vast majority of the time.

I wouldn't read in to any of it too much.

In 2013 none of Nathan Mackinnon, Seth Jones, or Jonathan Drouin participated in fitness testing.

Bull cookies.

Jones hurt his lot in life not doing drills. He fell to fourth. He was expected to go first by many, although Roy made it clear MacKinnon was his boy.  He said he skipped because he was nursing injuries, but I believe he was a little less prepared than others. That's why Barkov & Druin went ahead of him.

Image result for seth jones nhl combine pictures

Compare that with a pic of (I think) Ryan Pullock.  Jones probably got the message, and has since got in better shape. Was a compelling athlete, much like Phill Kessel. Hughes, by comparison, is obviously in better shape based on the way he flies around the rink. But just a point. Mackinnon btw knew he was #1 overall. Less incentive to take part. I applaud Dahlin who had no need. Also Dobson who only did his Memorial day parade for their win the day before. He could easily have skipped, but went to show off he was actually naturally in very good shape.  Hughes probably has had someone tell him, hey, if your here, we're going to take you.  My guess Chicago or Detroit. And he is happy with that, so does not feel compelled.

Related image

6 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

Worth noting that Dobson played in the Memorial Cup just over a week ago and did participate in the combine tests.
5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

This doesn't bode well for his work ethic to me. Not saying it's easy, but I'd think a real determined player would take those 6 or 7 days and kill it in the gym prepping for this.

Quinn needed to practice with pull-ups first. :P On a more serious note, I'm not sure the comparison's justified:

• Hughes was playing against NHL players whereas Dobson was playing against Juniors.
  • Hughes came all the way from Denmark while Dobson came back only from Regina. Hughes probably still has some jet lag (it usually takes 2 weeks).

Give the kid some slack.

29 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Yes seriously.  merkley is considered one of the best puck movers and offensive D in this years draft but due to his work ethic and supposed issues he's not ranked a lot higher than he should be.

Merkely has the most questions on character than probably anyone else in this draft though. How can you say he offers the same skill set as Hughes WITHOUT attitude issues then?

7 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

What is this? I get that he just got home but, this is a big stepping stone for the next 20+ years of your life and you decided to hang our with your friends instead of of prepping for the combine? I'd be leery of his drive and work ethic.

3 hours ago, gurn said:

When you are a smaller guy, why go do a bench press when your limit is going to be the lowest or close to it?

Guy is talked about as a high pick because of other things than bench press comparisons.

Because he could perform well in other aspects, including pull-ups, squats, speed/agility, etc. 

EDIT: Also, the bench press weight is based on 50% of the individual's body weight, so it is, in my opinion, almost an advantage for the smaller guys,  

10 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Nope it is meaningless. It’s just good for interviews and finalizing player size and height.

gms base thier decisions on what they seen a player do on the ice not by how many pulls they can do. 

what about two guys who are the same size with similar points? Like someone above said its what can separate you from being a second round pick or a fourth round pick

Archived