The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tavares done with Islanders according to Sportsnet 590 Broadcaster (Toronto)

The team was a mess this year defensively. Coaching has to take some of the blame. If there's one thing Vegas has proven this year, a great coach can make a huge difference.

Weight had to go. If Tavares can't see that, then that's on him.

That's huge if true, but I can't say that I blame him. Even with the year Barzal had the Isles were still pretty far out of it. He's in his prime and he was gonna get paid even if he stuck around, he may as well get paid by an organization that will compete sometime soon. You know, one without anchor contracts in Ladd and Boychuck and maybe a dash of goaltending stability.

I wonder where he'll go, I hope it ain't Vegas or Toronto. Though I could see Vegas with the cap space and success they've had.

11 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Take it for what you will.  Would be an interesting draft if true. Could just be Toronto media trying to stirr up Tavares to Toronto rumours.

I think Tavares wanting out is a smart move at his age 27...I could see , Sharks, Vegas, Toronto, Devils in that order...I think he will sign with  Sharks or Vegas...

NYI are at least 3 years away from a good playoff run...

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's huge if true, but I can't say that I blame him. Even with the year Barzal had the Isles were still pretty far out of it. He's in his prime and he was gonna get paid even if he stuck around, he may as well get paid by an organization that will compete sometime soon. You know, one without anchor contracts in Ladd and Boychuck and maybe a dash of goaltending stability.

I wonder where he'll go, I hope it ain't Vegas or Toronto. Though I could see Vegas with the cap space and success they've had.

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I think Tavares wanting out is a smart move at his age 27...I could see , Sharks, Vegas, Toronto, Devils in that order...I think he will sign with  Sharks or Vegas...

NYI are at least 3 years away from a good playoff run...

Tavares hates the media. So NJ, St. Louis, maybe Vegas are pretty safe bets. Montreal might not even be able to swing him with an incredible overpayment.

I think Tavares is going to move on... but I also don’t really believe it is about the coach or that this guy has the inside scoop.

Mackenzie yesterday just said that Tavares hasn’t told anyone of his intentions.  If MacKenzie hasn’t heard anything, then I doubt there are “many sources” saying he is moving on.

I heard this on TSN1290 in Winnipeg earlier today as well, and a New York journalist didn’t put any stock into Brady’s tweet. 

However, he also said that with Tavares so close to free agency, he wouldn’t be surprised to see him do the old “Stamkos Signing Route”. 

10 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Tavares hates the media. So NJ, St. Louis, maybe Vegas are pretty safe bets. Montreal might not even be able to swing him with an incredible overpayment.

I'd be very surprised if he went to Montreal. They're a bit of a mess too and he ain't gonna fix that by himself. Especially with a big contract. I'd be surprised if he went to Toronto too, if he doesn't like the NY hockey media he wouldn't like Toronto's white hot light. Or Montreal's.

Jersey's an option for sure but the more I think about it the more Vegas makes sense to me. They've oodles of cap space and flexibility going forward, him going in with a big deal ain't gonna put them in an immediate crunch and it's something they could probably work around while being competitive going forward.

10 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I can't believe how badly Snow read this.  He could have made a mint in prospects and picks at the TDL and instead they might be lucky to get a 2nd for early negotiating rights.

Err nevermind...misread the quoted post. 

I won't put any stock into this. I feel like this reporter is trying to make some waves. At the end of the day Tavares is going to do whay he feels is best for himself and I feel like that is another team.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I'd be very surprised if he went to Montreal. They're a bit of a mess too and he ain't gonna fix that by himself. Especially with a big contract. I'd be surprised if he went to Toronto too, if he doesn't like the NY hockey media he wouldn't like Toronto's white hot light. Or Montreal's.

Jersey's an option for sure but the more I think about it the more Vegas makes sense to me. They've oodles of cap space and flexibility going forward, him going in with a big deal ain't gonna put them in an immediate crunch and it's something they could probably work around while being competitive going forward.

Nashville could also be an option - they would then move Turris.

Coming to Vancouver.  3 years $12.5 million.

Will injure himself in November and need season ending surgery for an issue that has been plaguing him since mid season this year

We will finish 29th in the league win the lottery and draft Hughes

As of 2020's starting season we will have a perfectly healthy Tavares, Petterson, Hughes, Horvat and Sutter as our center/wing culminating in our cup win 2 years later with Boeser scoring the GWG in our first cup win

Archived