The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tavares done with Islanders according to Sportsnet 590 Broadcaster (Toronto)

6 minutes ago, the harry said:

Matthews isn't the man who is playing second center. But there are enough teams desperate looking for someone like him, a big Matthews trade is coming if JT signs in Toronto.

Give your head a shake. If they sign JT they have a great 1-2 down the middle. Did Malkin demand to be traded because he was playing behind Crosby?

6 minutes ago, the harry said:

Matthews isn't the man who is playing second center. But there are enough teams desperate looking for someone like him, a big Matthews trade is coming if JT signs in Toronto.

Haha yea ok. And the Pens can't afford both Crosby and Malkin as centres. Please tell us why TO would trade Matthews? I mean...I hate TO as much as anyone. But your post is silly.

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Haha yea ok. And the Pens can't afford both Crosby and Malkin as centres. Please tell us why TO would trade Matthews? I mean...I hate TO as much as anyone. But your post is silly.

Because he's a primadonna and not a team first guy like Malkin.

Matthews had a tough time in the playoffs against the Bruins. Tavares will take the pressure and some of the hard matchups away from him. This is a great one-two punch and they'll have Kadri on the third line as well. They will be stacked down the middle. Still have to bolster that blueline though

Big coup for the Leafs if they finally actually sign a big name ufa that they were rumored to be the front runner for. 

I guess being right once out of like the last 100 good players that had the possibility of being traded or making it to free agency is pretty good results for the Toronto media.

Can you imagine how unbearable all hockey related programming in canada will be if he signs there?

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Can you imagine how unbearable all hockey related programming in canada will be if he signs there?

Sooo... as unbearable as it is now? TSN already blows the Leafs, even Sportsnet has easternized by eliminating its regional broadcasts. The result was losing much of our localized post-game content; Tavares going to the Leafs wouldn't make it any worse than it already is.

Tavares lives in a Nassau County suburb with his fiancee on Long Island. A lot of his teammates also live on Long Island.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/25/sports/hockey/new-york-islanders-play-in-brooklyn-stay-on-long-island.html

This suburban scene provides further evidence of how Islanders players and their families remain entrenched on Long Island despite playing games in Brooklyn.

That is fine with Cizikas and his fiancée, Kristy Rosenberg, who care for Bentley, a goldendoodle, and an Old English sheepdog named Phoebe. They recently moved into a new home minutes from the team’s practice rink and former home rink, Nassau Coliseum.

“I like that all the teammates live in the same area,” said Rosenberg, who works on Long Island as a nurse. “You instantly have 20 friends.”

Proximity helps build close bonds among players and their families. In addition to Garden City, Islanders players reside in Manhasset and Mineola.

“We’ve lucked out being with the Islanders and living on Long Island,” said DeHaan’s girlfriend, Brittany DaSilva, who is from Ottawa. “There are tons of parks, open spaces and backyards. We really enjoy it.”

The team’s Long Island bonds appear even stronger this season after a summer in which three longtime Islanders — Kyle Okposo, Frans Nielsen and Matt Martin — left as free agents.

Unlike the Nets, whose home games moved from New Jersey to Barclays and who now also practice in Brooklyn, Islanders skaters and their lives remain entrenched in their former home, Long Island. Most of the Nets players have moved to Brooklyn, but no Islanders have.

Life away from the rink can help ease stress.

Islanders forward Josh Bailey, who has a newborn son and a 5-year-old bull mastiff, is grateful for life on Long Island. He recognizes why Islanders heroes like Bob Nystrom, Clark Gillies and Pat LaFontaine continued to make the area home well after their playing days.

“We’ve been here almost a decade now and it’s such a great place to have a family,” said Bailey, 27, a forward drafted by the Islanders in 2008. “It’s not crazy-busy all the time and we have space, which feels even better now having a kid. I understand why guys stay here.”

And all their dogs have play dates. Many Islanders have dogs, with nearly 20 among them. Hockey players can be tight-lipped about injuries and strategies. But ask about their dogs, and they become effusive.

The dogs add fun and frolic to the grind of the season, said Cizikas, a 25-year-old center from Toronto.

“It’s a great way to enjoy the outdoors and get away from everything,” said Cizikas, watching Phoebe charge purposefully after a small branch flung into the windy distance. “Having them around brings so much positive energy. They play nonstop.”

The Islanders’ captain and star, John Tavares, lights up when the conversation turns to Bo, his young Bernedoodle, a cross between a Bernese and a poodle.

“Before road trips, I’ll catch him trying to hide a pig’s ear in my luggage and tossing my clothes everywhere,” Tavares said. “He just looks at me when he’s caught red-handed. He always makes me laugh. Dogs are man’s best friend for a reason.”

For the first time this season, and in another sign of the Islanders’ attachment to Long Island, the team put together a photo calendar featuring players and puppies for adoption through the Port Washington-based North Shore Animal League America.

“We never want to lose our strong bonds with Long Island,” said the team’s new majority owner, Jon Ledecky. “We play our games in Brooklyn, but we have fans all over the metropolitan area so it’s important that we connect with all of them.”

He was drafted and has only played with the Isles. He is their captain. As recently as Jan. 15/18 he said he wants to stay with the Islanders.

“I hope to stay in Long Island,” Tavares told reporters before scoring the overtime winner in a 5-4 victory over the Canadiens at Bell Centre on Monday night. “There’s a lot of positive things going forward with the organization and the team here. I haven’t thought about being anywhere else but with the Islanders.”

He is happy that a new stadium for the Isles is being built on Long Island. He loves being an Islander.

https://www.nhl.com/news/new-york-islanders-win-bid-to-build-new-arena-at-belmont-park/c-294214214

"I think it's really, truly where the team belongs," Tavares said. "The New York Islanders are called the Islanders for a reason. It's exciting news. Obviously, we have some time left playing at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, and we've got to make the most of it and build off the success we've had there for the last couple of years."

Tavares maintained he wouldn't rule out re-signing with the Islanders before the end of this season.

cut.jpeg

Islanders win Belmont Park bid

• 00:59 • December 20th, 2017

"I'm not going to state when or why at this point in time," he said. "I don't think it's fair to the way things have been going between me and the organization. I'm open to anything and just taking things day by day.

"Obviously, it's great news in many aspects. For me, I think any player that has an opportunity to re-sign, you look at all factors that involve your daily life. Certainly, going to the rink every day is a big part of that. It's obviously great news. I'm not going to say it's a deciding factor, but certainly we're going to continue the process."

Tavares said he's focused on helping the Islanders qualify for the Stanley Cup Playoffs after they came up one point short last season. New York is 18-13-3, fifth in the Metropolitan Division, and holds the second wild card into the playoffs from the Eastern Conference.

"I've stated how important it is for me to be fair to the group in our locker room and focus on playing one game at a time and putting all my energy into helping the team make the playoffs, and obviously doing something special this year," he said. "As time goes on and things come together, we'll hopefully get something done. I've always stated how much I enjoy being here. I love being an Islander."

Ownership has renewed their commitment to Tavares a number of ways. The stated goal of contending for the Cup. The addition of Lamoriello and Trotz this year. The building of their new stadium on the Island.

Ownership is committed to keeping Tavares. Tavares' attachment to the Islanders and his teammates is strong. He is their captain. Captains never abandon their ship or in this case his Island home.

my buddy who produces a pretty big hockey show just wrote me to tell me Tavares is indeed going to be a leaf ..   Im filled with jealousy and a tad bit of rage .. 

he says it'll be announced anytime now ..      barf .

1 minute ago, Lulover88 said:

my buddy who produces a pretty big hockey show just wrote me to tell me Tavares is indeed going to be a leaf ..   Im filled with jealousy and a tad bit of rage .. 

It's fine.  If anything, spending more money up front prevents them from getting what they actually need, which is defense.

2 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

You're dead to me JT if that's true. I can't believe he would go to the most pathetic team in the league......

1 minute ago, gerry35 said:

You're dead to me JT if that's true. I can't believe he would go to the most pathetic team in the league......

I mean.  It is his hometown.

Not going to lie,  I wont like him as much as I did before but I can respect that he wanted to play for his childhood team.

I hate leaf fans and they are going to be relentless all summer long if JT signs there.

Archived