The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning or McPhee

Pat Quinn was a smart man hiring McPhee

Where would the Canucks be, had we kept him?

He has his footprints on both teams in the SCF

Looking over the forward/defence roster of his Knights he built a team with ONLY

4 - 1st rounders

6- 2nd rounders

3 - 3rd rounders

2- 5th rounders

1- 6th rounder

1- 7th rounder

1-12th rounder

4- undrafted players

McPhee isn't even in the discussion for top GM, give him a couple of years and he'll ruin the gift he got in Vegas.  Highly overrated, especially now.  I'll take Benning all day err'day.

Give Benning a hallf of fame goal tender.  An unknown 40 goal scoring center.  2 50+ point players from 1 team.  A jack adams finalist coach

And his pick of the top 2nd and 3rd liners and 3-4 defensemen the league has to offer and THEN we'll do this comparison.

Vegas is on a cinderella run this year, I fully expect them to miss the playoffs, their success is more due to other GM's screwing up, than their own GM. That's why Seattle is really going to struggle coming into the league. 

9 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Pat Quinn was a smart man hiring McPhee

Where would the Canucks be, had we kept him?

He has his footprints on both teams in the SCF

Looking over the forward/defence roster of his Knights he built a team with ONLY

4 - 1st rounders

6- 2nd rounders

3 - 3rd rounders

2- 5th rounders

1- 6th rounder

1- 7th rounder

1-12th rounder

4- undrafted players

Was McPhee a smart man trading Filip Forsberg to Nashville for the great Martin Erat?

McPhee was canned in Washington and now is perceived as a hero in Vegas.  It just goes to show how environmental factors (prospect pool, coaches, inherited rosters etc, owner involvement) can filter/skew our view of the GM.  For instance wasnt it McPhee that traded Forsberg for Erat?  (has benning failed that hard on any move?) People were equating him with Millbury/Snow at that point.  Fast forward a few years and people are talking about him like he is Bowman.  Its a tough gig I tell you.

1 minute ago, Darius71 said:

McPhee was canned in Washington and now is perceived as a hero in Vegas.  It just goes to show how environmental factors (prospect pool, coaches, inherited rosters etc, owner involvement) can filter/skew our view of the GM.  For instance wasnt it McPhee that traded Forsberg for Erat?  (has benning failed that hard on any move?) People were equating him with Millbury/Snow at that point.  Fast forward a few years and people are talking about him like he is Bowman.  Its a tough gig I tell you.

Depends on how bad you think the Eriksson deal is I suppose. If we are being honest, that Subban deal will be Benning's legacy. He traded away the best Subban (according to the actual best Subban) for a 4th liner/depth player. How he still has his job is beyond me. :sadno:

27 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Vegas is on a cinderella run this year, I fully expect them to miss the playoffs, their success is more due to other GM's screwing up, than their own GM. That's why Seattle is really going to struggle coming into the league. 

Depends, knowing our luck Montreal will find a stud goaltending prospect. The prospect will outplay Price. And then Price will be in the expansion draft to Seattle.

Then Seattle will go to Western Conference finals. :lol:

28 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Give Benning a hallf of fame goal tender.  An unknown 40 goal scoring center.  2 50+ point players from 1 team.  A jack adams finalist coach

And his pick of the top 2nd and 3rd liners and 3-4 defensemen the league has to offer and THEN we'll do this comparison.

Better yet, give McPhee the same expansion rules as FLA/ANA  or CBJ/MIN got when they entered the league and see where Vegas ends up in their inaugural season? 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Depends on how bad you think the Eriksson deal is I suppose. If we are being honest, that Subban deal will be Benning's legacy. He traded away the best Subban (according to the actual best Subban) for a 4th liner/depth player. How he still has his job is beyond me. :sadno:

I sincerely hope your post was sarcasm. PK was just pumping his brothers tires when he said that. Jordan is a nobody and will continue to be a nobody. He is too small and doesn’t have the hockey IQ to make it in the NHL. 

20 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

I sincerely hope your post was sarcasm. PK was just pumping his brothers tires when he said that. Jordan is a nobody and will continue to be a nobody. He is too small and doesn’t have the hockey IQ to make it in the NHL. 

You’ll see, you’ll all see. Subban is the one that got away.

Anyone with a long-term vision can see the great work Jim is doing. Yes he's made a few mistakes, which GM doesn't, but he's learning from them.

In a couple of years we'll see Jim's plan slowly come to life and I hope he is still around to see it through.

3 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

It's kind of a Canuck tradition with superstar siblings isn't it?  Jordan Subban, Steve Karyia, Fedor Fedorov.  :P

Archived