The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Oilers actively shopping Milan Lucic

This in from TSN’s Frank Seravalli, talking with Allan Mitchell on the Lowdown with Lowetide, news that the Edmonton Oilers are shopping winger Milan Lucic with a draft pick: “My understanding, and the reason that Milan Lucic is on our (TSN top trade) list  is because, from my understanding they’re trying and talking to teams about potentially taking another contract back even if that means sweetening the pot with a pick or some other roster player in order to make it happen. They are pushing, or at least doing their due diligence and working to try and move on from Milan Lucic if they can. I just don’t know that it’s going to happen with that much term left. It’s going to be a really tough one to do.”

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/edmonton-oilers-looking-to-trade-milan-lucic-by-sweetening-a-deal-says-tsns-seravalli

Just now, Tre Mac said:

No, not even for Eriksson.  Locker room cancer, slow as molasses and past his best before date.  I doubt they'll do ML + 1st for LE so let's just drop it:unsure:

I dont think he would even show if Vancouver got him anyway.. I also doubt that JB and Aqua would want him after the stunt he pulled (funny as it was; dinner with the mayor etc) on them.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I can totally see Eriksson for Lucic happening.

But that's not a good thing.

Lucic's contract is longer and he's aged worse than Eriksson despite being younger. I'd rather keep Eriksson. At least Eriksson can still defend. I don't think Lucic can do even that anymore.

Just now, Quantum said:

Lucic's contract is longer and he's aged worse than Eriksson despite being younger. I'd rather keep Eriksson. At least Eriksson can still defend. I don't think Lucic can do even that anymore.

It is what it is. Benning would see an ultra-physical winger whom he has history with, who would supply the heft, along with Gudbranson and ?, to insulate the young skilled players coming in.

Eriksson is most likely a better defender, but the way his production fell off a proverbial cliff might entice Benning to move him for Lucic.

2 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Agreed. Canucks need bigger bodies but Lucic certainly isn't the answer. With the game trending towards speed these days, and Lucic getting older and slower, he's going to be even easier for more players to avoid. Not to mention, he can't control his temper and takes boneheaded penalties regularly. 

Eriksson is no prize pig but at least he can keep up with the pace of the game and contribute defensively. 

I don't remember the last high-profile UFA signing that had a significant impact on his team and wasn't a burden 2 years later.  

When will GMs learn, that UFA is not the way to go anymore.  Cap space is an important asset nowadays.  I think baseball GMs are starting to get the message, the past two winters were very slow for UFAs, even the Yankees are being reasonable. 

2 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Could this be a possible scenario for the Stars and Spezza? ML give Stars some grit they need while shipping out Spez's contract and possibly getting a pick in return. Kinda liken it to us trading Tanny for Spez and a 2nd or 3rd as it would help both teams in the short term. 

I could see Lucic going to an American city to avoid the circus of Canadian hockey media. Or I could see him accepting a trade to his hometown to try to reignite his career. Who knows.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I could see Lucic going to an American city to avoid the circus of Canadian hockey media. Or I could see him accepting a trade to his hometown to try to reignite his career. Who knows.

Maybe Milan was playing too heavy the last few seasons?  I am wondering if a trimmer Milan could be a much quicker player?  He could be a steal, if he committed to being lighter.   

I imagine Lucic will be a little teary after finding out him and his BFF will be separating. But I guess McDavid and Draisaitl will be getting hefty raises next year, so they need to unload some high salary. I expect RNH to have the same fate.

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

If they throw in their second. I would maybe, maybe think about it. 

Do this. Then scratch Lucic for a dozen games or so until he complains, then waive him. Win, win, win. B)

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Milan was playing too heavy the last few seasons?  I am wondering if a trimmer Milan could be a much quicker player?  He could be a steal, if he committed to being lighter.   

He was up to 235 at his heaviest in Edmonton. I read an article talking about him losing about 15 pounds to commit to get faster. Not sure if that occurred yet, or if he's pounding MGDs until he passes out.

Archived