The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 FIFA World Cup

Brad Marchand

6 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Sorry everybody’s criticizing my country. We won and Imm happy and we played a great game. 4 goals is the most in a finals since when? 

Croatia played better? Did we watch the same game? Our shots were on goal, our goalie made one mistake and that made it less embarrassing but Croatia just couldn’t pass the french defense, just like belgium and uruguay. Possession means nothing if you don’t do anything with the ball. France was the best team in the tournament, won the world cup and played some very good teams, including Croatia who is scary good. They just didn’t play their best game, and we played very well. Don’t get it twisted, I respect my opponents. Its just everybody here doesnt respect france and i feel like its unjust so I express mysef as I am free to do so in this free country to remjnd everyone that france is not only the youngest team in this tourny, but they were also the best. 

I loved watching these games!  I’m not really a soccer fan, although I do watch the World Cup games.  I watched France win in ‘98, when they were led by Zidane.  This French team, IMHAO, was more fun to watch.  Croatia was fun to watch too.  They attacked, and made chances and goals.  I find it amazing how fast and skillful all the players are!  Why can’t the Whitecaps get that Mbappi kid?  Him and keep our other young guy too.  Wow!  That would be so much fun to watch, wouldn’t it?

3 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

He deserved it. Im french and I respect the crap out of him. That was his award all the way. 

In the two most important games of the tournament, he didn't drive the attack. He isn't a capable defender. He simply existed in the midfield. Persic was much more important to Croatia than Modric. 

2 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

If you think that

1. you were honestly the better team in this game

2. and 100% deserved the outcome in the emphatic fashion that the scoreline suggested

3. think that Paul Pogba is fantastic player

4. think that France is the best at developing players and that all of them are out and out frenchman and should disregard their heritage or where they immigrated from 

IDK what to tell you.

You are clearly very ignorant or you clearly need to learn more about the game.

Ignorant? Need to lesrn more about the game? 

Ok here goes

croatia needed extra time against denmark russia and england, 3 terrible to meh teams.

france beat argentina uruguay and belgium in regulation , all 3 teams are better than the ones croatia faced . 

France plays an all around game, and Croatia couldn’t break it. We scored 4 goals in the finals. How dare you discredit that? Our two laterals are 22 yeaes old and never played an international tourny, and were PHENOMENAL. Kante and Pogba were electric in midfield. Umtiti and Varane were crazy good. 

Mandzukic got lucky. Perisic’s goal was amazing, but that was it. Modric was dangerous but only in the neutral areas. France was too fast, had too much precision, and were mentally tougher. 

Stop being so petty honestly, the better team won, even though both teams were phenomenal all tournament. 

I dont hate croatia, you just hate france for no reason. 

2 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Ignorant? Need to lesrn more about the game? 

Ok here goes

croatia needed extra time against denmark russia and england, 3 terrible to meh teams.

france beat argentina uruguay and belgium in regulation , all 3 teams are better than the ones croatia faced . 

France plays an all around game, and Croatia couldn’t break it. We scored 4 goals in the finals. How dare you discredit that? Our two laterals are 22 yeaes old and never played an international tourny, and were PHENOMENAL. Kante and Pogba were electric in midfield. Umtiti and Varane were crazy good. 

Mandzukic got lucky. Perisic’s goal was amazing, but that was it. Modric was dangerous but only in the neutral areas. France was too fast, had too much precision, and were mentally tougher. 

Stop being so petty honestly, the better team won, even though both teams were phenomenal all tournament. 

I dont hate croatia, you just hate france for no reason. 

Beginning to think that you are only here to find any reason to argue any point. On the one hand, you dispute my claim that Modric deserved the best player award. On the other hand, you acknolwedge that he was only dangerous in the least important part of the pitch. 

4 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Beginning to think that you are only here to find any reason to argue any point. On the one hand, you dispute my claim that Modric deserved the best player award. On the other hand, you acknolwedge that he was only dangerous in the least important part of the pitch. 

He was the best player of the TOURNAMENT. He was not the best player today. 

41 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Sorry everybody’s criticizing my country. We won and Imm happy and we played a great game. 4 goals is the most in a finals since when? 

Croatia played better? Did we watch the same game? Our shots were on goal, our goalie made one mistake and that made it less embarrassing but Croatia just couldn’t pass the french defense, just like belgium and uruguay. Possession means nothing if you don’t do anything with the ball. France was the best team in the tournament, won the world cup and played some very good teams, including Croatia who is scary good. They just didn’t play their best game, and we played very well. Don’t get it twisted, I respect my opponents. Its just everybody here doesnt respect france and i feel like its unjust so I express mysef as I am free to do so in this free country to remjnd everyone that france is not only the youngest team in this tourny, but they were also the best. 

I'm not criticizing your country. I'm criticizing the officials who botched the handball call, and Griezmann for blatantly diving to win that free kick. Two calls that had they gone the other way I'd imagine you wouldn't be happy about at all.

Croatia were definitely the better of the two teams in the first half. But France are deadly on the counter attack and were ruthless in the second half. Enjoy your win. 

50 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I'm not criticizing your country. I'm criticizing the officials who botched the handball call, and Griezmann for blatantly diving to win that free kick. Two calls that had they gone the other way I'd imagine you wouldn't be happy about at all.

Croatia were definitely the better of the two teams in the first half. But France are deadly on the counter attack and were ruthless in the second half. Enjoy your win. 

To be fair i wasn’t pinpoiting you at all with that comment. That handball call was in my opinion fair because the new rules were implemented. And the griezmann dive? Im not ok with that but if you saw it that way then so be it. 

I still think the better team won.

8 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

To be fair i wasn’t pinpoiting you at all with that comment. That handball call was in my opinion fair because the new rules were implemented. And the griezmann dive? Im not ok with that but if you saw it that way then so be it. 

I still think the better team won.

Enjoy your night! :)

I honestly have a hard time telling who was the better team in this game. Croatia dominated most of it but they didn't have a lot of goal scoring chances. Let's say Croatia's play was more beautiful while France's was just absolutely efficient. So France in a way, was the Germany of this World Cup. :P

I would have no problem with Croatia winning the game. But over the duration of the tournament France were the most consistent and therefore most deserving of the title.

Concerning Modric: There were a few other options (especially Kanté and Varane) but I'm ok with this. Incredibly underrated player and absolutely deserving of this recognition. Also I'm glad it's neither one of Messi, Ronaldo or Neymar.

Edit: Huh. 420 plusses for me. What will I do with this? :ph34r:

25 minutes ago, Lateralus91 said:

I honestly have a hard time telling who was the better team in this game. Croatia dominated most of it but they didn't have a lot of goal scoring chances. Let's say Croatia's play was more beautiful while France's was just absolutely efficient. So France in a way, was the Germany of this World Cup. :P

I would have no problem with Croatia winning the game. But over the duration of the tournament France were the most consistent and therefore most deserving of the title.

Concerning Modric: There were a few other options (especially Kanté and Varane) but I'm ok with this. Incredibly underrated player and absolutely deserving of this recognition. Also I'm glad it's neither one of Messi, Ronaldo or Neymar.

I think they should implement a system where you can trade in your pluses for prizes!

500 pluses gets you "Assistant to the Regional Manager" privileges for a week :lol:

2 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

I feel for the Croats. They whole heartedly deserved this match, and this tournament. I am gutted for them. As Canuck fans know, getting your heart ripped from your chest without having a say or being given a fair chance is devastating. 

Thank You Croatia for proving to the world that you can win games in major by playing a beautiful, proper, brand of football, despite being a small country of only 4 million people (Take notes Iceland).

Despite winning the tournament, I feel like this France team was underwhelming.

really??

france was the better team today by a fair margin in my view

croatia was not able to break down the french defence like they did england

croatia's first goal was a remarkable strike that was just pure skill.. kudos to the goal scorer

croatia's second goal was the direct result of a bonehead keeper decision

croatia was plucky and never gave up

they have a good midfield grouping

but they did not have may quality penetrations deep in the french end

france overall was more talented

they are young and have blazing speed

they showed a lot of poise throughout the tournament

i think their only real test was the belgium game

belgium started off strong, but france was in control and clearly the better team by the end

i had no stake in this world cup

i just enjoyed the games

i am satisfied the best team won

30 minutes ago, Lateralus91 said:

Haha. Ruined it for you

11 minutes ago, DonLever said:

If not for the questionable hand ball call, the game could have been much closer.

Congratulations to France for winning the World Cup.

I honestly don't understand why so many are up in arms (haha) about that one. His arm is outstreched from his body and the ball makes contact no where near his body either, and there's no way it was going to touch his leg if his arm wasn't there. They can't make the assumption that the Croatian behind him is going to get the ball, clear hands, good call IMO.

53 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

I honestly don't understand why so many are up in arms (haha) about that one. His arm is outstreched from his body and the ball makes contact no where near his body either, and there's no way it was going to touch his leg if his arm wasn't there. They can't make the assumption that the Croatian behind him is going to get the ball, clear hands, good call IMO.

Of course everyone here is up in arms. What do the top referees in the world, backed up by VAR, know?

CDCers watching from the couch, assisted by slow- mo replay, are way better qualified for the job. 

I’m not sure why anybody hasn’t thought of this before.   :P

7 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Of course everyone here is up in arms. What do the top referees in the world, backed up by VAR, know?

CDCers watching the couch, assisted by slow- mo replay, are way better qualified for the job. 

I’m not sure why anybody hasn’t thought of this before.   :P

:wub:

so you are suggesting

that fifa referees in mid game

consult with cdc fans

to assist with on field rulings

sweet... i wonder what payment arrangements can be made with fifa

we'll all become pro (paid) keyboard warriors then

we gotta start a union pdq

:P

Archived