The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Juolevi or 2018 pick

Ballisticsports.

Who would you consider more valuable to the Canucks right now, Juolevi or this years #7 pick?

If you were an opposing Gm which would you consider has higher value if you were to make a trade with the Canucks? 

Juolevi was a 5th round pick, and from what I remember, rated as one of the top 3 defencemen of that years draft picks (some were surprised when we never took Sergachev- (would you in a redraft)?

There are lots of different mock drafts (but using this one) who do you value more Juolevi or Dobson?  https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2018/ 

Interestingly had we taken Matt Tkachuk in that draft we had another chance of  having another brother combo on the team, to go along with the Sedins, Courtnalls, Sweatt, Goulds

12 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Who would you consider more valuable to the Canucks right now, Juolevi or this years #7 pick?

If you were an opposing Gm which would you consider has higher value if you were to make a trade with the Canucks? 

Juolevi was a 5th round pick, and from what I remember, rated as one of the top 3 defencemen of that years draft picks (some were surprised when we never took Sergachev- (would you in a redraft)?

There are lots of different mock drafts (but using this one) who do you value more Juolevi or Dobson?  https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2018/ 

Interestingly had we taken Matt Tkachuk in that draft we had another chance of  having another brother combo on the team, to go along with the Sedins, Courtnalls, Sweatt, Goulds

I think you mean 5th overall

Dobson (assuming that's our pick) and Juolevi have very similar floor/expectation/ceilings IMO (albeit somewhat different skill sets) and Juolevi is further developed and coming off a solid 1st year of pro in a good league.

I think it's safe to say OJ is worth more (despite a few short sighted posters opinions to the contrary).

Juolevi. Hes a few years developed have more of an idea of what he will be. An undrafted player no matter the skill or hype is still an unknown. If u asked every gm in 93 who theyd take first overall i guarantee almost all of em woulda said daigle. Also with guys like the reinharts and bennett all came in with big expectations and yes both the sams are still young and are in the nhl can still develop into great players. But none of those 3 are game changers yet. 

Plus i dont know why people are down on juolevi. Hes playing in the top league in finland hes one of the top dmen over there just turned 20 over a month ago. Everyone always says dmen take longer to develop so why is cdc so eager to cut him down. Yea we hoped he woulda cracked the lineup in van but why play on a losing team when he can play top minutes in another pro league and possibly help his development more.

juolevi might not be the franchise dman but i see our next edler. 

Also remember when hedman first came in. yes at 19. But people were calling him a bust. Now hes one of the most dominant dmen in the nhl.

29 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

OJ is sooooo underrated on this site.    Canucks would be lucky to get a Dman of his calibre in this current draft.

Only Dman I personally would take over OJ in this draft is going to go no. 1 overall to Sabres.   Yes, some in this draft will score more NHL points but few, if any, will have the complete package he offers.   

For what it is worth too, I think you meant no. 5 overall and not fifth round.   And, yes, he was a consensus top 2 or 3 Dmen available in his draft year with the prospect ranking of being less offensive flair than the other two but better all round professional projection once he developed (he was less physically mature).    

7th is worth far more...

Does anyone in here actually think that Chicago, NYR or Edm would trade this years  8,9 or 10 for Juolevi.

BTW...think the list would go far beyond 8,9 and 10

I realize your question is who's worth more to the Canucks...but assuming you meant for trade value, the 7th is worth far more league wide.

4 minutes ago, martybyrd said:

7th is worth far more...

Does anyone in here actually think that Chicago, NYR or Edm would trade this years  8,9 or 10 for Juolevi.

BTW...think the list would go far beyond 8,9 and 10

I realize your question is who's worth more to the Canucks...but assuming you meant for trade value, the 7th is worth far more league wide.

Totally disagree, and find @Rob_Zepp to make more sense.

Just now, martybyrd said:

So you think Juolevi could get us pick 8,9 or 10 in this years draft ?

JB would be stupid to offer OJ for one of those picks.  OJ will be a top three Dman for the next 15 years.  Dmen of his quality rarely get traded, and especially not for so little.

7 minutes ago, martybyrd said:

I respectfully disagree Alf...

Interesting topic though....Do u think we could get a first round pick in this years draft for Jake ?

I don’t know.  Maybe a late first?  A playoff team would likely love what Jake brings.  

i wouldn’t trade Jake though, or any of our young guys.  We need to let them mature together into the next core, and then tinker around them to see how good we are.  

50 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Are you saying which one should we trade?  The answer is neither.

Benning needs to draft a complimentary player to Juolevi imo.  In other words, high offensive skill.  A power play quarterback.  Fortunately, at least one of Boqvist, Bouchard or Dobson should be available at 7.  I'm leaning towards a player who will be more NHL ready because the Canucks are well into their rebuild but if Benning takes the player with the higher ceiling and a longer development curve, I can live with it.

I think that OJ may be rated lower than he should be by many GM's because of his longer development curve.  There is no saying whether he will be better than Sergachev or McAvoy from his draft class in a few years.  Draft +5 is what really counts.

2 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

Let's see who we pick this year.

Also, in a redraft, I take McAvoy at 5.

easy to say now you would take McAvoy at #5 but every expert had McAvoy rated 5th best D man in that draft year... Canucks would of never taken him at 5th....

You can say the same about Boser?? He should of been taken in top 10...Not easy for to project how 18yr old men will turn out...Easy 2 yrs later to say should of picked McAvoy..

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

easy to say now you would take McAvoy at #5 but every expert had McAvoy rated 5th best D man in that draft year... Canucks would of never taken him at 5th....

You can say the same about Boser?? He should of been taken in top 10...Not easy for to project how 18yr old men will turn out...Easy 2 yrs later to say should of picked McAvoy..

Yeah, but the question was who would you take in a redraft.

Archived