The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet’s Roger Millions retires after 39-year career

Sportsnet’s Roger Millions has announced his retirement following a 39-year career in the sports broadcasting industry.

Millions joined Sportsnet in 2002 and would call and cover regional Calgary Flames games for over 15 years. Millions also reported from a wide range of sporting events, from the Winter Olympics to the Rogers Cup.

Roger released the following statement:

“After 39 incredible years in the sports broadcasting business, it is with a great deal of emotion that today I announce my retirement. I have truly loved every moment and experience that this career has given me, but I am at the stage in my life where I want to be at home, in my beloved Alberta, with my wonderful family and explore other possibilities. I want to thank Sportsnet for the tremendous support over the years. It has been an absolute pleasure to travel this country, covering the teams and sports that I love and working with phenomenally talented people. I will miss it dearly.

But, as passionate as I am about sports, I am equally as passionate about my home province of Alberta and its politics. I want to have a voice in this community and make a difference for the hard-working people in this province. With my life and my time now set to be in one place, this is what I plan to do. With that, I want to thank everyone I’ve worked with very much for so many special memories created over many years, and I look forward to starting this next chapter.”

Sportsnet president Scott Moore congratulated Roger with a statement of his own:

Dfaoj-aW0AAp3s2.jpg

Some other Millions Career Highlights:

• Received Can Pro Awards in 1991 and 1992 (celebrating the best in TV programming, promotion and advertising)
  • Covered Winter Olympic Winter Games in Calgary (1988) and Vancouver (2010)
  • Millions began his broadcast career in 1977, calling Alberta College Athletic conference basketball and hockey at Mount Royal College
  • Following college, Millions worked as an announcer at CKO radio in Calgary, and as a news, sports and farm reporter at CHRB radio in High River, AB
  • In 1981, Millions moved to CFQC Saskatoon Radio & Television to call the play-by-play for the Saskatoon Blades for seven years
  • Millions also worked at CKC Radio Regina, Skeena Broadcasting British Columbia and STV Saskatoon
  • Millions worked at CFRN Television in Edmonton to cover the Oilers prior to joining Sportsnet in 2002

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnet-reporter-roger-millions-retires-39-year-career/

2 hours ago, YEGCanuck said:

His name and face recognition should translate well to the political arena. As a television sports personality he has learned to be seen as an affable, middle-of-the-roader.  

It didn't help out Steve Darling in his brief political career.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived