The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 CDC Puck League

thejazz97

It would make sense, uniformly. Simpler for GM’s but maybe a lot more work all at once for the commish team.  

I am for having all free agents available July 1st, and only players already under contract in the RL NHL, OR Puck, are eligible to sign contracts between the start of the season and July 1st.

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

Hey guys! 

We're currently debating if we should limit the signing of CHL players to the offseason, but we want GMs' input before we make a decision.

Let us know if this is an idea you're for or against! Always happy to discuss. https://www.strawpoll.me/17109800

Link so it's easier to find on the new page.

I voted unsure - obviously uniform rules would make it easier and I'm all for that :P, but IRL CHL players can sign at any time and IMO keeping it even would be ideal.

Edited by thejazz97

16 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

I voted unsure - obviously uniform rules would make it easier and I'm all for that :P, but IRL CHL players can sign at any time and IMO keeping it even would be ideal.

Draft eligible CHLers can’t sign once the season begins though, but in CDC they currently can if they went undrafted! (See Brett leason)

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Salter said:

Draft eligible CHLers can’t sign once the season begins though, but in CDC they currently can if they went undrafted! (See Brett leason)

True! But they still have to make it through two drafts here, and I think IRL as well?

For what it is worth, I vote to move it. It tends to lead to players not signing with the best offer, or best fit team. They just sign with "that guy who offered first". Since the player never holds for a couple months for other offers, or has his agent phone around like he might IRL.

I can live with either though! It is nice that you guys are keeping on top of small quality of life shifts like this. Nice streamlining and group involvement. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

21 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

I voted yes. Limit.

Keeps guys (like me) from getting excited and sending in a contract offer at first sight of an undrafted player. And then guys who have research saved & organized can have a crack July 1.  Which also means more older guys get drafted. In the NHL CHL guys are draft eligible till 21, Euro's till 25 if I have it right?  

But I'm not dead opposed. If a guy has passed through two drafts? And keep our existing rules they have to be signed before the season starts to be eligible in the current year. Forces a managed roster. I wont be upset either which way is decided.  

• Cheers 1

I voted unsure, but would lean more towards "no". There are very few players who make it through 2 drafts, still play in the CHL, and yet will become something. Euro and NCAA FAs have signing limitations IRL, but CHL don't.

However, I also think the agents shouldn't be quick to sign - in general. If a top CHL prospect only has one low offer from a team that is stacked organizationally at his position, he shouldn't just take it. Like @Sygvard mentioned, he should hold out for a better offer/fit. Or at least "call around", i.e. make a post in the thread that the agent wishes to field offers.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I voted unsure, but would lean more towards "no". There are very few players who make it through 2 drafts, still play in the CHL, and yet will become something. Euro and NCAA FAs have signing limitations IRL, but CHL don't.

However, I also think the agents shouldn't be quick to sign - in general. If a top CHL prospect only has one low offer from a team that is stacked organizationally at his position, he shouldn't just take it. Like @Sygvard mentioned, he should hold out for a better offer/fit. Or at least "call around", i.e. make a post in the thread that the agent wishes to field offers.

I'm heavily against any agent call around type post. Completely defeats doing homework to find a guy if every free agent is a public notification and you can then anyone can just send an offer on a guy they wouldn't have otherwise known.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, canucklax said:

I'm heavily against any agent call around type post. Completely defeats doing homework to find a guy if every free agent is a public notification and you can then anyone can just send an offer on a guy they wouldn't have otherwise known.

I was only talking about a unique situation, where a high-potential FA is not on enough radars (yet), has practically no offers, the existing offers aren't good fits, and the agents don't want to track a long hold-out. It certainly wouldn't be "every free agent". It's not like RL GMs don't get notified by agents.

I prefer the hold-out though, if the offer/fit is likely to be bettered just by waiting a few weeks.

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:43 AM, Salter said:

Brett Leason is currently 19 years old. Formerly the rules were we couldn't sign a FA unless he was 20 years old as of October 1st of this season. Any prospect eligible for an upcoming draft (as Leason is for the 2019 draft) was always off-limits for signing.

This new "gone through 2 drafts" rule is pretty convoluted, and hard to track. I wasn't even aware of it until I checked today. When was that instituted?

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Brett Leason is currently 19 years old. Formerly the rules were we couldn't sign a FA unless he was 20 years old as of October 1st of this season. Any prospect eligible for an upcoming draft (as Leason is for the 2019 draft) was always off-limits for signing.

This new "gone through 2 drafts" rule is pretty convoluted, and hard to track. I wasn't even aware of it until I checked today. When was that instituted?

It was instituted a couple months ago after some discussion regarding how the 20-year-old rule was convoluted.

Its not too hard to track, September 15, 1999 was the eligibility cutoff for the 2017 draft. If they're born after that, then they're Puck draft eligible and ineligible to be signed as they have yet to go through a second draft.

This is precisely why, for me, I’ll be missing out on 19/20 year old prospects. For me, if they’re still eligible to be drafted IRL, they shouldn’t be signed in fantasy leagues. 

However, I’m fine being in the minority on this. And, quite honestly, not bothered in the slightest. If I miss out because I can’t be bothered paying attention to the rules the exec team has constructed and put in, then that’s on me.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, thejazz97 said:

It was instituted a couple months ago after some discussion regarding how the 20-year-old rule was convoluted.

Its not too hard to track, September 15, 1999 was the eligibility cutoff for the 2017 draft. If they're born after that, then they're Puck draft eligible and ineligible to be signed as they have yet to go through a second draft.

The date should be just stated, instead of run-around like what is currently stated in the rules.

It doesn't sound much different, but since prior to this a player had to be 20 by September, it essentially made the signing period an entire year earlier, which is a pretty big deal. Was this change made after the start of the season? I can't find the post describing it.

Edited by D-Money

@Monty Matt Luff signed with the Kings as a UDFA (both IRL, Puck) when he was 19 and is the primary example that sticks in my mind when we talk about this.

I think I just have to accept that none of us know the full extent of NHL drafting and contract rules and loopholes :P 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

@Monty Matt Luff signed with the Kings as a UDFA (both IRL, Puck) when he was 19 and is the primary example that sticks in my mind when we talk about this.

I think I just have to accept that none of us know the full extent of NHL drafting and contract rules and loopholes :P 

There are a number of examples of this IRL - Alexandre Fortin is another. However it's not common in Fantasy Hockey on CDC, and a big change from the previous rule.

Can you please confirm when the change was announced?

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1