The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 CDC Puck League

thejazz97

Boston draft recap?

We traded our first for Joe Pavelski.  Not too much more needs to be said.  But of course I'm going to! :P

Pavelski & the trade addition of backup Goalie Linus Ullmark (we had 10 backup goalie points last year) should vault us to near 6000 regular season points.  A top 5 team, and should finally pass our nemesis Florida for 2knd place in the division. Of course we will have to stay active, he's a great GM and will have plays of his own... Which is the magic formula for getting out of the 1st round. Maybe we can also beat Carolina?  But 1st round on, we'll be more focussed on play off players. Much will already hit the fan by then...

We had career years from 1C Zibanajed & Draisaitl.   Their teams, may, or may not be postured for play off results. Both real life Edmonton, more so NYR and Flyers, all of whom we have strong hands with.  NYR and Philly the most improved teams in the NHL pre July 1 IMO. We expect to play those cards at the deadline. Recently, we had a ton of (Five plus) inquiries asking to pay Adam Fox, NYR's first (likely a high lotto pick) and Zib for aging, in some case declining veterans. We'll also play these cards now?  Happy to discuss business.  But Zibanajed is a 75 point 1C who also hits, blocks shots.  Has higher CDCPuck points than some top veterans I was offered. NYR's will be contenders in 2 years. Feel free to inquire but expect to negotiate in good faith please...

Feel free to also inquire about top prospects Adam Fox, Juuso Valimaki, Oliver Kylington, Ryan Johnson, solid young players Eriksson Ek. But expect to pay fair quid for a roster player, who has value to make cap work. And we really only want play off players, retention a key factor, in return. 

We also feel its fair we will get rebound years from Nylander & Robbi Fabbri. Natural progression from players like Henrik Borgstrom, 50 points plus(?), Eriksson Ek will have a bigger role. Valimaki & Adam Fox will make their real debuts. If a lot of cards go well, we could challenge Carolina for first in division? (Prob some work to do, luck to play out...)

The draft itself

1st round = traded for Joe Pavelski

2knd round = D Ryan Johnson, and we scored a 1st rounder to boost our pool (trade bait)!

3rd round = John Farinacci & G Hugo Alnefelt.     John is a hit or miss guy wi scoring upside, we desperately needed a good G prospect. Both went 3rd round.

4th round = 2knd round selected Simon Lundmark.   How did that happen, we ended with a 1st, 2knd, two 3rd round selections without a first?

5th round = Took punt in 2knd year eligible 6'6'' G Erik Portillo. He was snagged 3rd round.  So we scored, net a 1st, a 2knd, 3 3rd round assets +Pavelski for our picks.

We also snagged Russian factor draft fallers Kiril Slepets & Daniil Gutik.  Both high upside players if they ever surface in NA. Slepets went 5th round this year, Gutik passed.

10 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Boston draft recap?

We traded our first for Joe Pavelski.  Not too much more needs to be said.  But of course I'm going to! :P

Pavelski & the trade addition of backup Goalie Linus Ullmark (we had 10 backup goalie points last year) should vault us to near 6000 regular season points.  A top 5 team, and should finally pass our nemesis Florida for 2knd place in the division. Of course we will have to stay active, he's a great GM and will have plays of his own... Which is the magic formula for getting out of the 1st round. Maybe we can also beat Carolina?  But 1st round on, we'll be more focussed on play off players. Much will already hit the fan by then...

We had career years from 1C Zibanajed & Draisaitl.   Their teams, may, or may not be postured for play off results. Both real life Edmonton, more so NYR and Flyers, all of whom we have strong hands with.  NYR and Philly the most improved teams in the NHL pre July 1 IMO. We expect to play those cards at the deadline. Recently, we had a ton of (Five plus) inquiries asking to pay Adam Fox, NYR's first (likely a high lotto pick) and Zib for aging, in some case declining veterans. We'll also play these cards now?  Happy to discuss business.  But Zibanajed is a 75 point 1C who also hits, blocks shots.  Has higher CDCPuck points than some top veterans I was offered. NYR's will be contenders in 2 years. Feel free to inquire but expect to negotiate in good faith please...

Feel free to also inquire about top prospects Adam Fox, Juuso Valimaki, Oliver Kylington, Ryan Johnson, solid young players Eriksson Ek. But expect to pay fair quid for a roster player, who has value to make cap work. And we really only want play off players, retention a key factor, in return. 

We also feel its fair we will get rebound years from Nylander & Robbi Fabbri. Natural progression from players like Henrik Borgstrom, 50 points plus(?), Eriksson Ek will have a bigger role. Valimaki & Adam Fox will make their real debuts. If a lot of cards go well, we could challenge Carolina for first in division? (Prob some work to do, luck to play out...)

The draft itself

1st round = traded for Joe Pavelski

2knd round = D Ryan Johnson, and we scored a 1st rounder to boost our pool (trade bait)!

3rd round = John Farinacci & G Hugo Alnefelt.     John is a hit or miss guy wi scoring upside, we desperately needed a good G prospect. Both went 3rd round.

4th round = 2knd round selected Simon Lundmark.   How did that happen, we ended with a 1st, 2knd, two 3rd round selections without a first?

5th round = Took punt in 2knd year eligible 6'6'' G Erik Portillo. He was snagged 3rd round.  So we scored, net a 1st, a 2knd, 3 3rd round assets +Pavelski for our picks.

We also snagged Russian factor draft fallers Kiril Slepets & Daniil Gutik.  Both high upside players if they ever surface in NA. Slepets went 5th round this year, Gutik passed.

:bigblush:

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

should vault us to near 6000 regular season points.  A top 5 team, and should finally pass our nemesis Florida for 2knd place in the division. Of course we will have to stay active, he's a great GM and will have plays of his own...

My play was to leave the division! And probably the best possible addition any Atlantic team could have had! #CuporBust

edit: me leaving is the best possible addition for all the other teams... had to clarify.

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

My play was to leave the division! And probably the best possible addition any Atlantic team could have had! #CuporBust

Actually, we were a bit sorry to see u go...

Too easy for other divisions! :goat:

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Actually, we were a bit sorry to see u go...

Too easy for other divisions! :goat:

One day I’ll get you to admit you’re happy I left the division! You will realize the unassailableness of my team. It will be glorious. 

Pretty sure thats not a word, but it felt right.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I looked at Carolina.

They could hit 7000 points? 

They have a lot of expiring contracts, so as much as I'd like to be able to see a super team continue in this league... I think we'll see some shake-ups.

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Impressive that you accumulated so many picks, while being a contender.  The Cutty Sark would have been on fire near you.

I like Norlinder.

Had to trade out a lot of talent due to the cap:

- Phil Kessel

- Nick Foligno

- Nazem Kadri

- Brandon Tanev

- David Rittich

- Danton Heinen

- Michael Frolik

I got some a few NHL-ers back (Stastny, Bailey, Korpisalo), some solid prospects (Texier, Volkov, Brickley), and a number of picks. I also traded my 2020 1st plus to get #19 to draft Seider (totally worth it).

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I got some a few NHL-ers back (Stastny, Bailey, Korpisalo), some solid prospects (Texier, Volkov, Brickley), and a number of picks. I also traded my 2020 1st plus to get #19 to draft Seider (totally worth it).

Saw a thing about how Yzerman just loves to swing in the 1st round. Sometimes it works (vasilevsky) and sometimes it doesn't (Brett Connolly 6th overall, Tony DeAngelo) but he's got guts

33 minutes ago, Sestito'sHandMadeVodka said:

Saw a thing about how Yzerman just loves to swing in the 1st round. Sometimes it works (vasilevsky) and sometimes it doesn't (Brett Connolly 6th overall, Tony DeAngelo) but he's got guts

He also seems to like bigger D-men. That Tampa team was loaded with small forwards, but at D they had Hedman (6'6"), Coburn (6'5"), Cernak (6'4"), Sergachev (6'3"), Rutta (6'3"), McDonagh (6'1"), Girardi (6'1"), and Stralman (6'0"). And the last 10 D-men they've drafted -going back to 2015 - have all been 6'1" or taller.

Quite a contrast from 5'8" Johnson, 5'9" Gourde, and 5'10" Point.

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

He also seems to like bigger D-men. That Tampa team was loaded with small forwards, but at D they had Hedman (6'6"), Coburn (6'5"), Cernak (6'4"), Sergachev (6'3"), Rutta (6'3"), McDonagh (6'1"), Girardi (6'1"), and Stralman (6'0"). And the last 10 D-men they've drafted -going back to 2015 - have all been 6'1" or taller.

Quite a contrast from 5'8" Johnson, 5'9" Gourde, and 5'10" Point.

I read an article, prob 2 plus years ago? This strategy of speed and skill up front. While closely related to working with the coaches on a game style? Including a forwards role in the defensive end. Where D hold position, forwards chase pucks.

Was anchored in draft strategy. Small forwards, and D who were not the prototypical PMD's, could be had without using premium picks. Many of their forwards, notably point, were bargains. Back in the days of Andrej Sustr. But it has seemed to shift.  This D line up all took carefull investment to improve the puck skills from those days.        

• Upvote 1

Just wanted to say that the difference in negotiating when I first took over this team and now is hilariously different. I feel absolutely no reason to do a deal unless I’m happy with the value. Probably a large reason, why I’ve made a lot less trades in the last year. Before, I felt almost forced to do bad deals in order to just get picks and prospects. Because other wise you just suck for another year and don’t improve now and in the future... almost a waste of time?

Anyways, I voiced this “theory” many times when we discussed minimum amount of roster players to prevent tanking (thus forcing teams to trade for more players). I have without a doubt felt a major difference when having nothing and having something in trade discussions.

I don’t know why I’m sharing this, but just felt the difference of how I evaluate trades this off season is just so fricken different, I had to say something. I don’t even have a good team. But it’s finally an actual team. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Just wanted to say that the difference in negotiating when I first took over this team and now is hilariously different. I feel absolutely no reason to do a deal unless I’m happy with the value. Probably a large reason, why I’ve made a lot less trades in the last year. Before, I felt almost forced to do bad deals in order to just get picks and prospects. Because other wise you just suck for another year and don’t improve now and in the future... almost a waste of time?

Anyways, I voiced this “theory” many times when we discussed minimum amount of roster players to prevent tanking (thus forcing teams to trade for more players). I have without a doubt felt a major difference when having nothing and having something in trade discussions.

I don’t know why I’m sharing this, but just felt the difference of how I evaluate trades this off season is just so fricken different, I had to say something. I don’t even have a good team. But it’s finally an actual team. 

It's cool. I once traded Edler, Schneider and a 2nd for Shane Doan. #rekt

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Jaku said:

Like how? Was this in 2005? I’m pretty sure any time after that year (whenever Edler made the NHL), that would be a gross overpayment. 

I traded a pick that’s now Jack Hughes for Jost... at the time I thought@Azzy was going for the cup no matter what. He went full Ottawa, and Tanked in a year without a 1st rounder!

Edited by Art Vandelay

22 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Like how? Was this in 2005? I’m pretty sure any time after that year (whenever Edler made the NHL), that would be a gross overpayment. 

I traded a pick that’s now Jack Hughes for Jost... at the time I thought@Azzy was going for the cup no matter what. He went full Ottawa, and Tanked in a year without a 1st rounder!

Pretty sure it was 2010. I wanted Doan. I got Doan. But I sold the damn farm to make it happen. Wasn't a highlight in my fantasy GM career.

3 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Just wanted to say that the 

100% agree. I remember being fairly stressed trading when we first got the team. Trying to offload aging assets to strangers for whatever I could before they devalued. 

It makes a huge difference to feel comfortable saying "No thanks, happy to hold".

4 hours ago, Jaku said:

That's nothing, going back to 2015, almost any time I make a deal with @pmalina in this league, I lose it :lol:

- Traded Getzlaf (OG 1st round pick) for Jenner and spare parts

- Traded a bunch for Doughty

- Traded Doughty back for Brent Burns

- Traded Burns back for a package where the main piece coming back was Saarijarvi  because I didn't want Burns' cap hit and I was very high on Saarijarvi

- Traded Dubois for Kaprizov+ after Dubois' disappointing WJC and mediocre D+1 year

I got Larkin from him for a 1st and a 3rd though, so it's not all terrible :P 

• Cheers 1