The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 CDC Puck League

thejazz97

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:45 AM, Salter said:

nfhHesd.jpg

To CAR: Patrik Laine (50% retained*), P.K. Subban (50% retained*), Yanni Gourde (50% retained*), Brendan Lemieux (50% retained*), Marc-Andre Fleury (50% retained*), Mikhail Sergachev (50% retained*), Reilly Smith (50% retained*), Josh Anderson (50% retained*), Jakub Vrana (50% retained*), J.C. Lipon

To NYI: Connor McDavid, Philippe Myers, Cooper Marody, Oskar Lindblom, David Quenneville, Samuel Morin, Daniel O'Regan, Jan Ruutta, Andrew Nielsen, CAR 2020 1st, 2019 WSH 3rd

To WSH: Tyler Seguin, Vincent Trocheck, Valeri Nichushkin, Alan Quine, Martin Frk, 2019 NYR 3rd, 2019 CAR 2nd** 

*All retentions are only for the 18/19 season*

**If Carolina is still in possession of their 2019 1st at the end of the 2019 Trade Deadline, the 2019 CAR 2nd going to Washington will upgrade to the 2019 CAR 1st**

Breakdown of the total deal: 

Reveal hidden contents

To CAR: 

Laine (1,875,000 RET)

Subban (4,500,000 RET)

Gourde (1,175,000 RET)

Lemieux (450,000 RET)

Fleury (2,875,000 RET)

Lipon

To NYI: 

McDavid

Myers

Marody

Lindblom

Quenneville

Morin

Nielsen

2020 CAR 1st

To WSH: 

Quine

Frk

2019 NYI 3rd

To NYI: 

O’Regan

Ruutta

2019 WSH 3rd

To WSH: 

Seguin

Trocheck

Nichushkin

2019 CAR 2nd*****

To CAR: 

Sergachev (1,125,000 RET)

Smith (2,125,000 RET)

Anderson (575,000 RET)

Vrana (1,500,000 RET)

FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS

If CAR still holds their 2019 1st by the end of the trade deadline, the 2019 CAR 2nd sent in the deal will be upgraded to the 2019 CAR 1st. 

Did Carolina & Isles GM's not work together as GM's before?

And now...:sick:

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:32 AM, Canuck Surfer said:

Did Carolina & Isles GM's not work together as GM's before?

And now...:sick:

It looks bad on paper, b/c of the RL value of the players involved, but it's pretty fair value when you break it down.

To CAR: 

Laine (1,875,000 RET)

Subban (4,500,000 RET)

Gourde (1,175,000 RET)

Lemieux (450,000 RET)

Fleury (2,875,000 RET)

Lipon

To NYI: 

McDavid

Myers

Marody

Lindblom

Quenneville

Morin

Nielsen

2020 CAR 1st

Laine is struggling this year (4.1 Fpts/game), and is going to want a huge raise next season. And even when he`s doing well, he doesn`t get hits or blocks, so his value is not as much as in other leagues (5.0 Fpts/game last year, 5.16 the year before). He doesn`t produce as much as the truly elite guys in our league.

Subban is another guy whose Fpt production doesn`t match his RL value. He`s only at 3.73 Fpts/game this year - on my team I have defensemen like Ian Cole, Matt Niskanen, and Brian Dumoulin who all produce more than that. And his salary is $9 million! With 50% retained this year he`s certainly worth it, but the retentions in this deal are for this year only.

Gourde, granted, is great value at his salary. I`d take him over Subban.

Lemieux is a decent young player, but far from a lock to be a regular contributor in the playoffs, or a core member of the team in the long-term. Maybe, maybe not. Fleury is awesome, but is a 34 year-old impending UFA. He either walks, or gets an extension that could be a problem in the future. Lipon is a longshot to even play a single game.

For that, Carolina gave up the absolute best player hockey, one of the 4 guys in the league putting up over 7 Fpts/game (nearly as much as Laine & Subban combined). And he just turned 22. He gets to roll a top line of Pettersson - McDavid - Kane. Myers, Marody, Lindblom, Morin, and Quenneville are all solid young prospects too, 3 of them on a promising Philadelphia squad. And Nail sheds a TON of cap going forward.

So, although this trade hurts me as much (if not more) than anyone, I certainly can`t argue that it isn`t fair value. Carolina is taking their shot, even though it presents major cap issues for them next season, and NYI is setting themselves up nicely for the near future.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Puck is definitely a unique league, with requires GMs to calibrate their valuations of players. For comparison's sake, Monty and I (who also used to GM together) made this trade 2 months ago, which most people seemed to think was ridiculously in Chicago's favour:

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:22 PM, Salter said:

To CHI: Jacob Trouba + Derick Brassard + Daniel Brickley + 2020 CBJ 2nd

To CBJ: Craig Smith + Brandon Tanev + Mathieu Joseph

Responses were a mixture of confusion and laughter. On paper, yeah, it looks clearly in Chicago's advantage. The RL value (and even fantasy value in other leagues) of Trouba alone is worth more than Smith, Tanev, and Joseph. However, since the trade:

CHI: Trouba - 123.5 Fpts (4.75/game); Brassard - 72.75 (2.91/game) = 196.25 Total Fpts

CBJ: Smith - 83.75 Fpts (3.1/game); Tanev - 129.25 (4.97/game); Joseph - 65.75 (4.38/game) = 278.75 Total Fpts

That's right, Brandon Tanev has been more productive in the last 2 months than Jacob Trouba. That may not continue to be the case, but because of the scoring system here, and Tanev's propensity to throw hits, their Puck value will likely continue to be far closer than their RL value. And Joseph is a promising young waivers-ineligible Tampa player. I cut some salary this season, and still have Smith (who has 50% retention), Tanev, and Joseph next year for less combined salary (<$5M) than Trouba's extension ($6.75M).

Long term there is still a benefit to Chicago, as they'll still have Trouba, Brickley, and the 2nd when Tanev and Smith are declining and/or gone as UFAs. But the benefit to my team (both in points and in salary dollars) is big this year and next, which is why I had to add Brickley and the 2nd rounder.

• Cheers 1

Guys, it's been a blast. But I'm resigning as Vegas GM.

My heart was taken out of it after the SV incident last year, and I've been hanging on by a thread ever since. As I've quit GML today as well, it made no sense to continue in Puck as well.

I hope you all have a great playoffs, and that Jazz doesn't win the Cup :P

39 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

My heart was taken out of it after the SV incident last year, and I've been hanging on by a thread ever since. As I've quit GML today as well, it made no sense to continue in Puck as well.

FFS Cap'n :lol:

Enjoy retirement! Know that you're always welcome back should you want to come back (Seattle? ;)). We'll sorely miss you!

56 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

:( 

1 hour ago, Captain Azzy said:

Since you'll be gone, Cap'n, we should give you this.

You are the unanimous winner of the new GM award...

il_570xN.1533055752_a22n.jpg

:lol: - All the best!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/4/2019 at 3:26 PM, Captain Azzy said:

Thanks for the great leadership and support the last few years!

So Boston is at a fork in the road.

Take the road less travelled?  Make Draisaitl, Borgstrom, Zibanajed, Kylington, Eriksson Ek, Brandon Saad, Issac Lundestrom available for play off warriors?

Take the highway, frought with speeding opportunities to crash; Trade Evander Kane, Radulov, Tuukka Rask, Noah Hanifin for youth, speed, skill, cap savings.

Inquiries in all directions welcome! Leaning towards being a buyer.

Simple Hockey trades?